Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SZ James (banned)

Semantics Olympics

346 posts in this topic

then there are studies showing that people with "white sounding" names get more callbacks from potential employers

or the research i alluded to earlier re: conviction and sentencing disparities, "stop-and-frisk" disparities, and so on

here's a thing that touches on why positive stereotypes are bad: http://sociology101.net.cnchost.com/readings/Myth-Of-The-Model-Minority.pdf

^nice. should go without saying but I guess it needs to be spelled out for people.

okay but prove he's a racist though.

Would posting an example of him using racial stereotypes "prove" he is racist?

Would posting an example of him using racial stereotypes "prove" he is racist?

nope

nope

So in essence you agree this is bullshit?

racial stereotypes are the definition of racism

I'm not arguing for or against anyone. I'm just wondering how seriously to take your posts.

i think in this instance he's just using another poster's standard for determining what's racist, separate from his own beliefs

idk though i mostly just skimmed this topic

I had a sociology professor who taught that all white americans are racist all the time and aren't capable of knowing it and controlling it

she was white

i think in this instance he's just using another poster's standard for determining what's racist, separate from his own beliefs

idk though i mostly just skimmed this topic

There were some posts where I thought the same, but he did argue for this on more than one occasion. Admittedly I may have misread some sarcasm somewhere.

Stereotypes are ignorant, but I don't believe that using them makes anyone racist.

Racist people stereotype, but not everyone who stereotypes is racist.