Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Semantics Olympics

346 posts in this topic

Posted

is it derogatory and so on?

are you asking me the same question I just asked you?

Posted

Just for giggles I googled 'define wench' and it's like 5th or 6th link before you get to any sort of definition that has a negative or offensive connotation (and the majority of those are listed as archaic)... and while I'm sure Mr Scot wasn't using the term in a "positive" manner, the point still stands that the "personal attack" policy on this site is in reference to (as Kurb has already explained) members of the site.

...and not to mention the fact that this entire discussion is the height of irony as it was instigated by the very person who is by FAR the most likely to attack, insult, and degrade anyone on here that doesn't share his opinions.

did you also google bitch since that's what mr. MRA libertarian called her? you know, "just for giggles"

Posted

did you also google bitch since that's what mr. MRA libertarian called her? you know, "just for giggles"

No

Posted

are you asking me the same question I just asked you?

Am I?

Posted

are people seriously arguing that what scot said wasn't derogatory

Posted

but since we can't get the point of rhetorical questions on the huddle..

No, lady of the night is a euphamism to avoid saying the words I listed. So no it's not the same. Any other crap arguments?

Posted

however had scot called her a "lady of the night" it still would have been a problematic thing to say considering the context

Posted

No

silly to even ask

hell given your post history you likely don't see a problem with that either

Posted

silly to even ask

hell given your post history you likely don't see a problem with that either

Who called who a bitch? Quote please.

Posted

And then the guy came through our section yelling "Midol, get your Midol" We waved him down

Posted

Who called who a bitch? Quote please.

Mr. Scott calling that woman a Wench does not bother me in the slightest, mainly b/c she is a self-righteous bitch

Posted

but since we can't get the point of rhetorical questions on the huddle..

No, lady of the night is a euphamism to avoid saying the words I listed. So no it's not the same. Any other crap arguments?

how is the fluidity of language a "crap argument?"

here's a nice example:

late 13c., wenche "girl or young woman," shortened from wenchel "child" (12c.), from Old English wencel, probably related to wancol "unsteady, fickle, weak," and cognate with Old Norse vakr "child, weak person," Old High German wanchal "fickle." The word degenerated through being used in reference to servant girls, and by mid-14c. was being used in a sense of "woman of loose morals, mistress."