• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#16 Brooklyn Bully

Brooklyn Bully

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,169 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:34 AM

Cam and it's not even close. Hell, it's not even a question.

#17 pantherclaw

pantherclaw

Wise Ass

• HUDDLER
  • 6,383 posts
  • LocationGalveston

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:50 AM

It doesn't surprise me, that Panther fans that haven't had an elite qb til cam, are going to lean towards the quarterback. the Panthers have also been blessed with great linebackers. So they feel it is easy to come across stud middle linebackers. They don't know any different. Ask teams that struggle to field good defense.

#18 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

The Frashmaker

• HUDDLER
  • 13,582 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:54 AM

Without a doubt, the single most important position on the field is the QB. I don't see Goodell putting a gun to our head and making us choose to take that in lieu of anything else though.

#19 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

• HUDDLER
  • 12,621 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:56 AM

Oh god, late night drunk posting couldn't get any worse.

If you don't think QB is the most important position on the field you need to stop watching football.

#20 MaineManPanther

MaineManPanther

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,458 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:11 AM

A lot of people are gonna say the QB is the most important position, and it's a valid point of view.

My team building philosophy has always been that the lines should be addressed first, so I'll differ some.

But the question is not asking how to build a team. It's wether to choose a high calibur Qb or a high calibur MLB. Obviously both is optimal, but that doesn't answer the hypothetical.

I'm willing to bet you'll find quite a bit higher reg/ playoff win percentage with teams with high calibur Qb but not MLB, then the reverse.

#21 pantherclaw

pantherclaw

Wise Ass

• HUDDLER
  • 6,383 posts
  • LocationGalveston

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:13 AM

If you don't think QB is the most important position on the field you need to stop watching football.

lol

Nobody is arguing otherwise.

Still gotta have defense to win championships.

Can't argue against history.

#22 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 36,717 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:26 AM

Ask the Saints if defense matters (and they had one of the league's best QBs)

But the question is not asking how to build a team. It's wether to choose a high calibur Qb or a high calibur MLB. Obviously both is optimal, but that doesn't answer the hypothetical.

I'm willing to bet you'll find quite a bit higher reg/ playoff win percentage with teams with high calibur Qb but not MLB, then the reverse.

Team building is my framework for the question.

Mind you, there's no way I'd minimize the importance of the QB spot, but I don't like an unbalanced approach to roster building. And like I said, I build from the lines first.

#23 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • 5,377 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:15 AM

QB and it's not even close.

#24 PantherMan89

PantherMan89

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:25 AM

Cam. Not even close. Great QB's don't come around often enough

#25 Mage

Mage

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:52 AM

It doesn't surprise me, that Panther fans that haven't had an elite qb til cam, are going to lean towards the quarterback. the Panthers have also been blessed with great linebackers. So they feel it is easy to come across stud middle linebackers. They don't know any different. Ask teams that struggle to field good defense.

So are you trying to say we are wrong in saying QB >>>>> LB?

Newton is far more important than Kuechly. I LOVE Kuechly, don't get me wrong. But QB over MLB all day.

#26 Mage

Mage

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:54 AM

Ask the Saints if defense matters (and they had one of the league's best QBs)

Team building is my framework for the question.

Mind you, there's no way I'd minimize the importance of the QB spot, but I don't like an unbalanced approach to roster building. And like I said, I build from the lines first.

Where is ANYONE in this thread saying defense doesn't matter?

Of course it matters. Doesn't change the fact an elite QB is much more vital to a teams success than an elite MLB. How did San Fran do until they got competent QB play? Or Chicago with Urlacher? Or Washington with Fletcher (albeit he was never elite)? Or Arizona this past season with Daryl Washington? Etc.?

Nobody is saying defense is irrelevant. Merely that QB is a lot more important. And they are right.

#27 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 36,717 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:01 AM

Where is ANYONE in this thread saying defense doesn't matter?

Of course it matters. Doesn't change the fact an elite QB is much more vital to a teams success than an elite MLB. How did San Fran do until they got competent QB play? Or Chicago with Urlacher? Or Washington with Fletcher (albeit he was never elite)? Or Arizona this past season with Daryl Washington? Etc.?

Nobody is saying defense is irrelevant. Merely that QB is a lot more important. And they are right.

I always question individual position judgment questions in the context of a team sport, especially at the pro level.

Say you have a great QB? Cool. Stick him with mediocre receivers, a lousy offensive line and crummy backs and congrats, you have Archie Manning.

I don't see this discussion as much different than the ones where people ask if you'd rather have great covers or dominant pass rushers. You need both.

If it's discussion for the heck of it, fine, but it's not very realistic.

#28 ThunderKatt

ThunderKatt

Hello to All my Haters

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts
  • LocationIn yo moma

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:18 AM

Not a good thread, threads like this make me not want to come here.

#29 Ivan The Awesome

Ivan The Awesome

That wasn't a Penalty.

• HUDDLER
  • 9,486 posts
  • LocationS.L.R.C.

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:33 AM

I can count to potatoes!

#30 bleys

bleys

Simple and Plain

• HUDDLER
  • 15,105 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:59 AM

you can't be serious.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.