Photo
- - - - -

After watching the Super Bowl, what position do we need to have most to win?

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#76 hepcat

hepcat

Skandalouz

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,061 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:19 PM

Head coach is the most important thing I've noticed over the past few years...sometimes you'll have a mediocre HC slip into the Superbowl, but in recent years it's been behind a HOF QB. (Ken Whisenhunt with Kurt Warner in Arizona, Jim Caldwell with Peyton Manning in Indy is what came to mind...both lost). Fun fact, all the winning HC's as far back as 2008 are still the HC of the team they won with. You can extend that back to 2003 (Jon Gruden in Tampa) if you don't count coaches that retired (Cowher, Dungy). Granted winning a Superbowl gives you a huge boost of time with a franchise, but it works vice verca...wouldn't get that time if you weren't a good HC.

Look at the HC's of the winners the past 5 years, and their success in the NFL.

2013 - John Harbaugh, Ravens are a perennial Superbowl contender. Haven't missed the playoffs under his watch.
2012 - Tom Coughlin, 2x Superbowl Champ, beat the Patriots and Tom Brady both times
2011 - Mike McCarthy, Packers are a perennial Superbowl contender
2010 - Sean Payton, Saints are perennial a Superbowl contender, we all saw what happened to the Saints when Payton was gone
2009 - Mike Tomlin, Steelers are perennial a Superbowl contender...had a down year when Roethlisberger got hurt this year

TL; DR: Carolina isn't winning a Superbowl with Ron "I call timeouts so the other team can kick a field goal" Rivera

#77 KJ89

KJ89

bottom line

• HUDDLER
  • 2,666 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:44 PM

Patterson, Hopkins, Allen, I think a lot of WRs this draft have potential to be a solid #2 and eventually #1

Draft a WR.

#78 Gucci Mane

Gucci Mane

Trap God

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationKitchen

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:45 PM

Kick Returner

#79 Bwood

Bwood

It's all about the

• HUDDLER
  • 2,491 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:02 PM

I'm quitting this conversation bc MR. Brilliant from
LA believe that Dwan is better than Ngata and Justin Smith bc he has a better stat. "idiot"

There's a huge difference between me saying a player had a better season than another player and me thinking a player is better than another player. You just don't understand that logic though, which is kind of weird because I thought Asians were suppose to be smart...

Quit running your little Internet mouth, if I was a little taddle tale like you I'd pm a mod crying about your name calling.

#80 TheGreatestOfAllTimeCam

TheGreatestOfAllTimeCam

Cam Nut Hugger

• HUDDLER
  • 6,939 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:30 PM

Monster o-line.. better head coach

#81 MDPanthersFan

MDPanthersFan

NOT NEWB

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:00 PM

They had comparable stats to our WR in the regular season. And the only major difference is Both teams had better OLines, Better Running, and Better defense. This is my point their WR aren't that much better then our's. What took them over us is better Play calling, Better Oline and Better defense not WR talent.

You obviously dont watch many of the Raven's games... being that I live in the Bmore area, I have seen ALOT of Raven's games and their Oline was not that good until McKinney came in... not quite sure how their Oline was so much better than ours in the grand scheme of things... towards the end of the Ravens season, they were doing better, but not throughout... and their playcalling was terrible (just as our's was) under Cameron, hence why he got fired... just watch the end of the Ravens/Eagles game and tell me that was good playcalling...

As for WR comparisons...

Boldin = Smitty
T.Smith = Olsen
Pitta = LaFell
Rice = Murphy & J.Stew
J.Jones = Tolbert & D.Will

There is a good difference in the 4th and 5th spot within the Receiving numbers; if their receivers aren't that much better, than why does it take 2 of ours to equal their 4th and 5th? Not to mention, our TE should not be #2 on our receiving list, stats wise... that is what a #2 WR is supposed to be, just as the Ravens have... the actual stat number shouldnt matter as much as the position and where they fall... its sad if Cam's second read is our TE and not the 3rd (or checkdown) in most cases...

As for running the ball, why did the Panthers end up with more yards on the ground and a better YPC than the Ravens if they were the better running team? As I said, they didn't run the ball that well when you compare us and them

#82 koolkatluke

koolkatluke

• HUDDLER
  • 7,847 posts
  • LocationNonya

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:08 PM

You obviously dont watch many of the Raven's games... being that I live in the Bmore area, I have seen ALOT of Raven's games and their Oline was not that good until McKinney came in... not quite sure how their Oline was so much better than ours in the grand scheme of things... towards the end of the Ravens season, they were doing better, but not throughout... and their playcalling was terrible (just as our's was) under Cameron, hence why he got fired... just watch the end of the Ravens/Eagles game and tell me that was good playcalling...

As for WR comparisons...

Boldin = Smitty
T.Smith = Olsen
Pitta = LaFell
Rice = Murphy & J.Stew
J.Jones = Tolbert & D.Will

There is a good difference in the 4th and 5th spot within the Receiving numbers; if their receivers aren't that much better, than why does it take 2 of ours to equal their 4th and 5th? Not to mention, our TE should not be #2 on our receiving list, stats wise... that is what a #2 WR is supposed to be, just as the Ravens have... the actual stat number shouldnt matter as much as the position and where they fall... its sad if Cam's second read is our TE and not the 3rd (or checkdown) in most cases...

As for running the ball, why did the Panthers end up with more yards on the ground and a better YPC than the Ravens if they were the better running team? As I said, they didn't run the ball that well when you compare us and them

Because we had a stupid fuging play caller half the year. That's why their 4th and 5th option had better numbers. Maybe if chud didn't have his head up his ass this would be a different story.

Also the fact the Ravens made the changes on their was the point when their offense took off. Can you dispute that.

#83 koolkatluke

koolkatluke

• HUDDLER
  • 7,847 posts
  • LocationNonya

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:09 PM

Patterson, Hopkins, Allen, I think a lot of WRs this draft have potential to be a solid #2 and eventually #1

Draft a WR.

They also have the potential to be Jarrett as well.

#84 MDPanthersFan

MDPanthersFan

NOT NEWB

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:20 PM

Also the fact the Ravens made the changes on their was the point when their offense took off. Can you dispute that.

No disputing that the change on the OLine made a big difference with their offense in the playoffs... I was only comparing the regular season of both teams... not defending Chud's blind/twister spin-wheel way of playcalling but just making the point that the Ravens weren't that much different from us, just knew how to make plays (mainly by their WRs except for against SD) to win close games while we didn't... another top-tier WR would open so much more for Smitty, Olsen and LaFell... no one can argue with that; Green Bay is a model for that

#85 koolkatluke

koolkatluke

• HUDDLER
  • 7,847 posts
  • LocationNonya

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:27 PM

No disputing that the change on the OLine made a big difference with their offense in the playoffs... I was only comparing the regular season of both teams... not defending Chud's blind/twister spin-wheel way of playcalling but just making the point that the Ravens weren't that much different from us, just knew how to make plays (mainly by their WRs except for against SD) to win close games while we didn't... another top-tier WR would open so much more for Smitty, Olsen and LaFell... no one can argue with that; Green Bay is a model for that

You can't admit that the oline changes were big health while taking a shot at our Wr corp. Our guy made plays when the right play was called and the Oline did their job.

#86 KJ89

KJ89

bottom line

• HUDDLER
  • 2,666 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:35 PM

This is true.

#87 Bwood

Bwood

It's all about the

• HUDDLER
  • 2,491 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:43 PM

It's the draft dude, players break out and players bust. I don't know why you have this mindset that any receiver we draft is going to be Dwayne Jarrett.

Any corner we draft could bust too, how bout that?

#88 kunu

kunu

beach'd

• HUDDLER
  • 8,027 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:49 PM

Any corner we draft could bust too, how bout that?

correctomundo. A DT could be a Jason Peter as much as a WR could be a Jarrett and as much as a CB could be a Rashard Anderson

Good topic btw

It's hard to argue against WR but to play devil's advocate, I think having a true defensive leading safety would be big. An Eric Berry type.

#89 MDPanthersFan

MDPanthersFan

NOT NEWB

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:19 PM

You can't admit that the oline changes were big health while taking a shot at our Wr corp. Our guy made plays when the right play was called and the Oline did their job.

All I am saying is that our WR corp needs help; am I wrong in saying that? Saying a WR is needed isnt a shot at them as much as it is saying build for the future now and add another weapon... lets face it, Smitty probably doesnt have much longer to go; he probably wont pull a jerry rice or ray lewis, playing for 17+ years... we will be lucky to have Smitty here until Cam's rookie contract is up and renewed... so with that said, should that be passed on until his last year or worked on now?

Wr is a needed for the team... its the GM's job to figure out to what degree and when/where it is addressed... just like other positions such as OL and DL

As for your logic that they made plays when other things were done correctly and called correctly, isnt that supposed to be the case? No debate on that... but to what frequency did it happen?

#90 MDPanthersFan

MDPanthersFan

NOT NEWB

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:24 PM

correctomundo. A DT could be a Jason Peter as much as a WR could be a Jarrett and as much as a CB could be a Rashard Anderson

Good topic btw

It's hard to argue against WR but to play devil's advocate, I think having a true defensive leading safety would be big. An Eric Berry type.

Agreed... it would be nice to find another leader on the defense to go with Keuchly... but is that easier to address through FA or the draft as far as that specific position is concerned?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.