#31 carpanfan96

carpanfan96

play hard, hit harder

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,763 posts
  • LocationConcord, NC

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:00 AM

Td can still make his original 28 million minus his original option bonus, he just has to play every game and hit the bonuses, the his contract has an option bonus each year. The only thing he did was decline the 8 m option bonuses due last season. It was moved to a 5 million option in 2013 and another one in 2014. He still makes 20 million over the next 3 years with most being tied to bonuses.

#32 IamSoClutch

IamSoClutch

CaptainCam

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,600 posts
  • LocationKinston, NC

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:06 AM

Gross Gamble aren't coming off 3 knee tears

I hear ya though

Cutting Gamble will save us the most straight up out of anybody, about 7mil i believe. That comment was mainly about Beason since he has been out for 2years.

#33 Thorrez

Thorrez

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:37 AM

I could be wrong but my understanding is that when you restructure a contract the total money can not be less than it was before restructuring. What Davis did was not restructure his contract. They tore up the contract by mutual agreement and put another one in place. His other option was to be released.

So the whole idea of restructuring is about when it gets paid and how it counts against the cap not how much is getting paid. So restructuring doesn't save a team money or allow them to pay less, just lower the cap hit this year. The net effect will be to increase it in subsequent years.

You are wrong. As already explained in the thread the guaranteed money works as you think.

If a player is due$2M guaranteed and 8M non next year and his market value is 1M it makes sense to take a 3.5M guaranteed contract as it is higher than the 3M he would get off from the cut, 2M, and new contract by a new team, 1M.

#34 carpanfan96

carpanfan96

play hard, hit harder

• HUDDLER
  • 10,763 posts
  • LocationConcord, NC

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:02 AM

One last time, restructures don't lower whats paid to the player. What happens is the team takes that players non guaranteed money and moves it to a type of bonus spread out through the rest of said players contract. The only reason that Davis is making less is he declined his 8m option bonus last season. "It's now 7.5m spread out between two bonuses due this and next season. TD is still making roughly 20m the next three years. Minus that change and added games played bonuses, its still the same contract.

#35 Bama Panther

Bama Panther

USAF JAG

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:04 AM

I could be wrong but my understanding is that when you restructure a contract the total money can not be less than it was before restructuring. What Davis did was not restructure his contract. They tore up the contract by mutual agreement and put another one in place. His other option was to be released.

So the whole idea of restructuring is about when it gets paid and how it counts against the cap not how much is getting paid. So restructuring doesn't save a team money or allow them to pay less, just lower the cap hit this year. The net effect will be to increase it in subsequent years.

This is exactly right. Once a contract is signed, the dollar amount of that contract cannot change. It's a basic tenet of contract law. Restructuring does not lower the total dollar amount. It simply moves it, as many have said but not all seem to grasp.

#36 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • 5,345 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:15 AM

This is exactly right. Once a contract is signed, the dollar amount of that contract cannot change. It's a basic tenet of contract law. Restructuring does not lower the total dollar amount. It simply moves it, as many have said but not all seem to grasp.

Not to nitpick, but if all the parties that sign a contract agree to tear it up and replace it with a new contract they can certainly do that. Now if we are talking just about the NFL, that doesn't mean there are no cap ramifications for the club, but any type of contract can certainly be changed.

#37 Firefox

Firefox

This Board Rocks

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:00 PM

Yep, Panthers fans are some of the least knowledgable in the league.

A neat site is google.com

Just a simple random google would explain it to them.

How about this one? http://www.steelersd...ers-salary-cap/

#38 MHS831

MHS831

• HUDDLER
  • 6,443 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:29 PM

Gross-restructure
Gamble-Cut
DWilll-June 1 cut

#39 Bama Panther

Bama Panther

USAF JAG

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:59 PM

Not to nitpick, but if all the parties that sign a contract agree to tear it up and replace it with a new contract they can certainly do that. Now if we are talking just about the NFL, that doesn't mean there are no cap ramifications for the club, but any type of contract can certainly be changed.

I don't remember enough about my first-year contracts course to get into it. I'm happy I chose to practice criminal law. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.