Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Steve Smith knocks the read option...

159 posts in this topic

Posted

The read option is a weapon but NFL defenses are like the borg. They will adapt quickly sometimes within the same game. You have to change your offense like you change your underwear. Or at least the "cute" part of it. With a sound traditional offense to lul the other team to sleep.

Posted

Dude just go back to your dirt hut in New Orleeeens again.

Is this that Pat guy again? lol, hilarious if its him and he still cant let it go.

I'm pretty sure he's a troll.

Kinda pathetic to put that much effort into trolling another team's fans, honestly.

Posted

No links just watch the plays.

A back's speed and direction are slower and narrower when running out of a read. He cant correct his speed and direction while he's watching the holes develop because he has to stay and complete the "option" and the play hasnt been determined. He cant explode right from the snap. It's a loaded argument because there are times when a back will wait anyways for a hole, but any man who wants his feet nailed down while 300 pound monsters are trying to kill you should be committed. D'Lo has experienced this and probably isnt a huge fan, go figure.

Im not against it, I just dont think it should be run predictably.

The RB shouldn't be standing with his feet nailed down. When the exchange takes place the RB should be 85% of top speed and then exploding through the hole. He isn't reading linebackers, he already knows where he needs to go. The RB is responsible for the exchange, the QB is in charge of the read. The RB is supposed to go straight to where his gap should be, but he also has the option to cutback to a better gap if it opens up and looks to be the better option. Something that RBs do in any zone blocking run scheme, whether it be under center or out of the shotgun or in the pistol.

Posted

Well, Kaep is part of the read option system. To run a read option you need a certain types of QB to run it thus resulting in defenses game planning for not only the option but also a scramble. You can't analyze the read option independently of Kaep's physical ability. It's because he is a read option QB that's why he is able to scramble. What the 9ers run is an offensive system. Once Kaep is removed from that system then a new system need to be created for the next QB.

The Panthers need an offensive system for Cam as well that includes the read options, the scrambles, the play actions, and everything else. Some offensive systems are more limited than others.

Maybe the reason Kaep was able to scramble was because the defense put to much effort in stopping the read options thus leaving open gaps in the defense. Food for thought, of course.

Kaepernick's Touchdown run was because Baltimore lost containment. Most of the game they kept him in the pocket. His run came when he got outside of that containment. Very similar to what teams try to do with Cam.

Otherwise, I think Baltimore made him the second year QB with 10 starts that he was. Had the lights not gone out. Many would have questioned whether Smith would have done a better job.

Posted

Kaepernick's Touchdown run was because Baltimore lost containment. Most of the game they kept him in the pocket. His run came when he got outside of that containment. Very similar to what teams try to do with Cam.

Otherwise, I think Baltimore made him the second year QB with 10 starts that he was. Had the lights not gone out. Many would have questioned whether Smith would have done a better job.

The 9ers lost by a punt return. Free points. Kaep was gashing that defense.

Posted

I'm pretty sure he's a troll.

Kinda pathetic to put that much effort into trolling another team's fans, honestly.

I'm a troll because I don't think an old hag should be complaining about our offensive system? OK, guy!

Posted

Gashing? His highlights came after the lights came back on in the 3rd quarter. I would also say most of his "Gashing" came between the 20's.

I assume you mean a kick-off return.

Posted

Super Bowl 35. Trent Dilfer (Ray Lewis), 1 TD

Super Bowl 36. Tom Brady (MVP), 1 TD

Super Bowl 37. Brad Johnson (Dexter Jackson), 2 TDs

Super Bowl 38. Tom Brady (MVP), 3 TDs

Super Bowl 39. Tom Brady (Deion Branch), 2 TDs

Super Bowl 40. Ben Roethlisberger (Hines Ward), 0 TDs

Super Bowl 41. Peyton Manning (MVP), 1 TD

Super Bowl 42. Eli Manning (MVP), 2 TDs

Super Bowl 43: Ben Roethlisberger (Santonio Holmes), 1 TD

Super Bowl 44: Drew Brees (MVP), 2 TDs

Super Bowl 45: Aaron Rogers (MVP), 3TDs

Super Bowl 46: Eli Manning (MVP), 1 TD

beverly-hills-cop-3-kid-laugh-o.gif

They call that winning by default. In the 1920s the top players look different than they do now. Like Kurt Warner says, players that use to play RB & WR are now throwing darts. strangely, I would take Cam or Kaep over all those listed players. Enjoy it, it won't last.

Posted

Gashing? His highlights came after the lights came back on in the 3rd quarter. I would also say most of his "Gashing" came between the 20's.

I assume you mean a kick-off return.

Coincidentally he didn't start gashing the falcons until the third. Thus there is a pattern so you can't use the blackout as an excuse.

Posted

Losing containment, that's the whole idea. Who cares about people questioning. Kaep is big time and the future. No way in he'll would they let Smith play. That's why He'll be on the trading block this offseason.

Posted

The read option WILL be a portion of our offense. I don't think you will see quite as much of it next year as compared to what Chud ran early in the season.

By mixing it in with the power running game, play action game, etc it will become more successful. Keep the defense guessing is always a good thing,

We became way to predictable with it last season and that us why the offense bogged down at times.

I love the flexibility that this offense should have due to Cam's abilities. Use all of these schemes...don't lick in heavy on one.

Posted

Gore had two big runs and CK had his touchdown run. The TD to Crabtree was off of play-action not the R.O.

I like CK. I think Cam and him will be the most dangerous in this R.O. Play because they are so big and so fast. I think as a pocket passer. I think Newton is a better passer. I noticed alot of 3/4 delivers from CK. Newton is more of an over the top thrower.

If you think that doing well after 30 minutes is acceptable. OK if you say so.

Since we will never know whether the lights made a difference. Most say it was a good reset for SF. I would have to admit it was. Baltimore's offense went 84 minutes without touching the ball. Nearly an hour and a half because of the lights.

You didn't see the difference before and after. Before the lights went out on SF it was 3rd and 13. Hardly SF kicking ass.

So we'll just leave it as we agree to disagree.

CK was OK, I wouldn't say great. He had about 20 minutes worth of highlights.