158 replies to this topic

#136 DaveThePanther2008

DaveThePanther2008

Member from WAAAYY Back

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,283 posts
  • LocationMelfa

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:21 AM

Well, Kaep is part of the read option system. To run a read option you need a certain types of QB to run it thus resulting in defenses game planning for not only the option but also a scramble. You can't analyze the read option independently of Kaep's physical ability. It's because he is a read option QB that's why he is able to scramble. What the 9ers run is an offensive system. Once Kaep is removed from that system then a new system need to be created for the next QB.

The Panthers need an offensive system for Cam as well that includes the read options, the scrambles, the play actions, and everything else. Some offensive systems are more limited than others.

Maybe the reason Kaep was able to scramble was because the defense put to much effort in stopping the read options thus leaving open gaps in the defense. Food for thought, of course.

Kaepernick's Touchdown run was because Baltimore lost containment. Most of the game they kept him in the pocket. His run came when he got outside of that containment. Very similar to what teams try to do with Cam.

Otherwise, I think Baltimore made him the second year QB with 10 starts that he was. Had the lights not gone out. Many would have questioned whether Smith would have done a better job.

#137 Guest_BlueBoy_*

Guest_BlueBoy_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:42 AM

Kaepernick's Touchdown run was because Baltimore lost containment. Most of the game they kept him in the pocket. His run came when he got outside of that containment. Very similar to what teams try to do with Cam.

Otherwise, I think Baltimore made him the second year QB with 10 starts that he was. Had the lights not gone out. Many would have questioned whether Smith would have done a better job.

The 9ers lost by a punt return. Free points. Kaep was gashing that defense.

#138 Guest_BlueBoy_*

Guest_BlueBoy_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:45 AM

I'm pretty sure he's a troll.

Kinda pathetic to put that much effort into trolling another team's fans, honestly.

I'm a troll because I don't think an old hag should be complaining about our offensive system? OK, guy!

#139 DaveThePanther2008

DaveThePanther2008

Member from WAAAYY Back

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,283 posts
  • LocationMelfa

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:52 AM

Gashing? His highlights came after the lights came back on in the 3rd quarter. I would also say most of his "Gashing" came between the 20's.

I assume you mean a kick-off return.

#140 Guest_BlueBoy_*

Guest_BlueBoy_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:17 AM

Super Bowl 35. Trent Dilfer (Ray Lewis), 1 TD
Super Bowl 36. Tom Brady (MVP), 1 TD
Super Bowl 37. Brad Johnson (Dexter Jackson), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 38. Tom Brady (MVP), 3 TDs
Super Bowl 39. Tom Brady (Deion Branch), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 40. Ben Roethlisberger (Hines Ward), 0 TDs
Super Bowl 41. Peyton Manning (MVP), 1 TD
Super Bowl 42. Eli Manning (MVP), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 43: Ben Roethlisberger (Santonio Holmes), 1 TD
Super Bowl 44: Drew Brees (MVP), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 45: Aaron Rogers (MVP), 3TDs
Super Bowl 46: Eli Manning (MVP), 1 TD

Posted Image

They call that winning by default. In the 1920s the top players look different than they do now. Like Kurt Warner says, players that use to play RB & WR are now throwing darts. strangely, I would take Cam or Kaep over all those listed players. Enjoy it, it won't last.

#141 Guest_BlueBoy_*

Guest_BlueBoy_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:26 AM

Gashing? His highlights came after the lights came back on in the 3rd quarter. I would also say most of his "Gashing" came between the 20's.

I assume you mean a kick-off return.

Coincidentally he didn't start gashing the falcons until the third. Thus there is a pattern so you can't use the blackout as an excuse.

#142 Guest_BlueBoy_*

Guest_BlueBoy_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:33 AM

Losing containment, that's the whole idea. Who cares about people questioning. Kaep is big time and the future. No way in he'll would they let Smith play. That's why He'll be on the trading block this offseason.

#143 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,789 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:52 AM

The read option WILL be a portion of our offense. I don't think you will see quite as much of it next year as compared to what Chud ran early in the season.

By mixing it in with the power running game, play action game, etc it will become more successful. Keep the defense guessing is always a good thing,

We became way to predictable with it last season and that us why the offense bogged down at times.

I love the flexibility that this offense should have due to Cam's abilities. Use all of these schemes...don't lick in heavy on one.

#144 DaveThePanther2008

DaveThePanther2008

Member from WAAAYY Back

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,283 posts
  • LocationMelfa

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:57 AM

Gore had two big runs and CK had his touchdown run. The TD to Crabtree was off of play-action not the R.O.

I like CK. I think Cam and him will be the most dangerous in this R.O. Play because they are so big and so fast. I think as a pocket passer. I think Newton is a better passer. I noticed alot of 3/4 delivers from CK. Newton is more of an over the top thrower.

If you think that doing well after 30 minutes is acceptable. OK if you say so.

Since we will never know whether the lights made a difference. Most say it was a good reset for SF. I would have to admit it was. Baltimore's offense went 84 minutes without touching the ball. Nearly an hour and a half because of the lights.

You didn't see the difference before and after. Before the lights went out on SF it was 3rd and 13. Hardly SF kicking ass.

So we'll just leave it as we agree to disagree.

CK was OK, I wouldn't say great. He had about 20 minutes worth of highlights.

#145 CatMan72

CatMan72

KEEP POUNDING

• HUDDLER
  • 15,057 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:53 AM

He's right, teams will spend this offense studying how to beat the read option and it won't be nearly as effective this coming season.

Good news for us is that Cam can thrive in a pro-style offense.

#146 TheRumGone

TheRumGone

mountain man

• ALL-PRO
  • 8,770 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:06 AM

If we were running it right there shouldn't be a pause and it shouldn't affect when the RB hits the hole. This is an offense that has to adjust always.

Here is how Chip Kelly explains it:

Edit: Welp I was going to copy from a clinic paper that Kelly had on his offense but i will have to paraphrase because for some reason this site wouldn't let me do it.

Basically, he said that the coach needs to know when the RB is hitting the hole. If he is hitting the hole too late, the coaches need to move the RB up. If he is hitting the hole too early, you move the RB back further. He said you don't adjust the speed of the play to get the timing right you change your alignment.

It was a little more complex than that, but that was the gist of it.

If there is an issue with how long it is taking a RB to get to the hole the offensive coordinator is supposed to adjust his and possibly the QB's alignment. Move them closer to the O-line.

This offense is so complex and simple at the same time. But it requires very detailed adjustments to how you line up in the backfield and a faster pace to make sure the assignments are correct and to see how the defense is going to defend it.

We were slow getting out of the huddle and were not able to audible. Those are the two most important factors of running that kind of offense and we did neither.

As far as adjusting alignment of the QB and RB I don't know if Chud did made changes in that regard or not.

Interesting. Still, I think we have the best chance to win by only running that offense 3-5 times a game. I think it better serves Cam in the present and future. But what you just said makes sense. Maybe Cam wasn't coached the right way how to run it. Even still don't wanna see it run very much.

#147 Guest_BlueBoy_*

Guest_BlueBoy_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:33 AM

Gore had two big runs and CK had his touchdown run. The TD to Crabtree was off of play-action not the R.O.

I like CK. I think Cam and him will be the most dangerous in this R.O. Play because they are so big and so fast. I think as a pocket passer. I think Newton is a better passer. I noticed alot of 3/4 delivers from CK. Newton is more of an over the top thrower.

If you think that doing well after 30 minutes is acceptable. OK if you say so.

Since we will never know whether the lights made a difference. Most say it was a good reset for SF. I would have to admit it was. Baltimore's offense went 84 minutes without touching the ball. Nearly an hour and a half because of the lights.

You didn't see the difference before and after. Before the lights went out on SF it was 3rd and 13. Hardly SF kicking ass.

So we'll just leave it as we agree to disagree.

CK was OK, I wouldn't say great. He had about 20 minutes worth of highlights.

So, since there was no blackout in the falcons game, what's the excuse in SF coming back? What about the 9ers game against NE during the regular season? 22 points deficit with 2 quarters left is nothing. That's only 3 TD. One quick 3 and out you have a ball game. Come on!

#148 Guest_BlueBoy_*

Guest_BlueBoy_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:37 AM

He's right, teams will spend this offense studying how to beat the read option and it won't be nearly as effective this coming season.

Well, they have 9 months to figure it out. Wish them luck though. Hopefully by next year I won't hear DCs normally need a good 5 years to figure out new offenses. Can't wait to laugh.

#149 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • 14,440 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:51 AM

People in college have been studying for 10 years now and still haven't come up with much.

But the truth is, as with any offense in the world, the key is balance and deception.

#150 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • 5,509 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:15 AM

The most important thing to me is we continue the threat of designed runs for Cam, whether it be through read option plays, conventional QB draws or whatever.

If it is a real threat on a given running play or play action fake, you effectively tie up one more defender than otherwise. If all we did was run out of I-form or traditional shotgun runs and never used Cam as the designed runner, we let the defense ignore him as a threat. That would be a big mistake imo.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com