Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why the Panthers Do Not Draft A WR Early

134 posts in this topic

Posted

No he drop a lot of passes couldn't figure out the route tree and ran the wrong play a lot of the time as well.

Don't try cover up for you wanting a bust last year.

lets see his 1st game he had 5 catches 89 yards with 2 tds. you cannot bust after 1 season.bad qb play and injuries hurt him as well. coming from a system where they ran the ball 90%(wing t/upset) of time he was extremely raw.

Posted

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nyg/draft.htm

Since 2000 9 to 9 wr vs DB in the first 3 rounds.

6 WRs in top 3 rounds since 2006....

As the league as transitioned to a passing league....NY almost every year grabs a DL and WR in the first 3 rounds

Posted

What is missing in this discussion is the idea that with the rookie salary cap it isn't just a position of need that determines who we draft but how much it would cost to pick up a comparable player in free agency. People draft left tackles because they are expensive and hard to find in free agency. Defensive backs, not so much. Running backs are widely available in free agency. Wide receivers can be found in free agency market or often for a draft pick. Nose tackles can be found in free agency as well.

It is really premature to talk about the draft until we see what happens in free agency.

Posted

What is missing in this discussion is the idea that with the rookie salary cap it isn't just a position of need that determines who we draft but how much it would cost to pick up a comparable player in free agency. People draft left tackles because they are expensive and hard to find in free agency. Defensive backs, not so much. Running backs are widely available in free agency. Wide receivers can be found in free agency market or often for a draft pick. Nose tackles can be found in free agency as well.

It is really premature to talk about the draft until we see what happens in free agency.

Its always good for the added perspective, but what makes you think we make any FA additions pre-daft though? Unless Gettleman has someone particular in mind, I think he'll fall in line with this franchise's tendency to let the draft predicate FA moves. Pre-draft free agents tend to be the big names and we're not getting a big name.

Objective right now is clearing cap space and restructuring while maintaining as much talent as possible. Draft and then re-assess/add

Posted

Its always good for the added perspective, but what makes you think we make any FA additions pre-daft though? Unless Gettleman has someone particular in mind, I think he'll fall in line with this franchise's tendency to let the draft predicate FA moves. Pre-draft free agents tend to be the big names and we're not getting a big name.

Objective right now is clearing cap space and restructuring while maintaining as much talent as possible. Draft and then re-assess/add

Given this is Gettleman's first free agency and draft, I don't know how anyone can decide what he is going to do. I do doubt he spends big bucks for a free agent, but there are a number of reasonably priced free agents that move before the draft. Still others can be moved by teams trading picks for free agents. There is quite a bit that can happen between now and the draft in April. We will clear cap space by releasing guys before free agency starts and will likely do more restructuring or cutting people when or if we sign more free agents. We will have the deals in the works but will pull the trigger when we have to in order to stay under the cap. One of the biggest questions out there is whether the philosophy of not pursuing free agents was a Hurney decision or a Panther owner/president edict.

Posted

Nvm

Posted

Given this is Gettleman's first free agency and draft, I don't know how anyone can decide what he is going to do. I do doubt he spends big bucks for a free agent, but there are a number of reasonably priced free agents that move before the draft. Still others can be moved by teams trading picks for free agents. There is quite a bit that can happen between now and the draft in April. We will clear cap space by releasing guys before free agency starts and will likely do more restructuring or cutting people when or if we sign more free agents. We will have the deals in the works but will pull the trigger when we have to in order to stay under the cap. One of the biggest questions out there is whether the philosophy of not pursuing free agents was a Hurney decision or a Panther owner/president edict.

yeah, we never can know for sure what will happen

The whole in-the-dark scenario we are in with Gettleman makes this an interesting offseason to watch unfold

Posted

lets see his 1st game he had 5 catches 89 yards with 2 tds. you cannot bust after 1 season.bad qb play and injuries hurt him as well. coming from a system where they ran the ball 90%(wing t/upset) of time he was extremely raw.

Didn't that Wr from the cowboys have a big 1st game how did that work out?

He was a bad pick because like I said last year it will be 2 or 3 season before you see a return on him.

He had bad hands didn't run good routes and didn't know half the routes in the first place.

Just admit he would have been a horrible for us.

Posted

6 WRs in top 3 rounds since 2006....

As the league as transitioned to a passing league....NY almost every year grabs a DL and WR in the first 3 rounds

Are you going to keep changing the parameters to fit your opinion?

I went back 10 years pretty good sample set in my opinion.

Posted

Didn't Dave already say he's not too big on FA

Posted

So can DT, CB and O-line men all needs before WR.

I'll ask you these questions

1. Were we a top 5 scoring offense when Chud was a better Play caller?

2. Were we a good offense when our Oline was playing up to standard?

3. How many games this year did our WR's cost us?

1. Good question! A lot of offenses were better after the lockout. Defensive play was downhill.

2. No body's saying we're a bad offense now, or a bad defense either. We need upgrades on both sides.

3. First, dumb question. How many games did MLB lose us in 2011? And look what Luke did for us. Secondly, Brandon LaFell was pretty mediocre as a #2

@NYG 1 Catch, 27 Yards

@ATL No Catches

@WSH No catches

vs DEN 4 catches, 29 yards

@KC 2 catches, 14 yards (plus a huge crucial drop)

@OAK 5 catches, 38 yards.

ALSO Giants OLine has no first round draft picks! Yet let up the least amount of sacks last season.

Posted

1. Good question! A lot of offenses were better after the lockout. Defensive play was downhill.

2. No body's saying we're a bad offense now, or a bad defense either. We need upgrades on both sides.

3. First, dumb question. How many games did MLB lose us in 2011? And look what Luke did for us. Secondly, Brandon LaFell was pretty mediocre as a #2

@NYG 1 Catch, 27 Yards

@ATL No Catches

@WSH No catches

vs DEN 4 catches, 29 yards

@KC 2 catches, 14 yards (plus a huge crucial drop)

@OAK 5 catches, 38 yards.

ALSO Giants OLine has no first round draft picks! Yet let up the least amount of sacks last season.

1. We still ended up a top 12 offense and Chud had his head up his ass the 1st 7-8 games of the season.

2. Special on the Oline, DT, and Secondary.

3. Alot. Beason got hurt 1st game in 2011 and Connors sucked. Then you picked out 6 games in a 16 games season to prove your point on Lafell really?? 3 games out of the 6 nobody did anything special. Plus let's not mention the fact we had a TE and RB getting a lot of targets as well. Let's also not mention he missed 2 games this year so his numbers could have been better.

So that last answer to the question was pretty dumb.

Giants Oline has 2 second rounders and the rest of the spots are FA pick-ups. Somthing we might not be able to do with our Cap situation.