133 replies to this topic

#16 beach

beach

|~~~~|

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,500 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:34 PM

I appreciate the extensive post Maine, but I have to agree with some of the others. WR has been an elephant in the room for far too long and the lack of playmakers has been a big big problem. I'm tired of convincing myself we don't need one or we're fine as is. They help close games and that's one of our biggest problems.

People need to understand you can build from the lines out without having to get a lineman in the 1st. And I agree that having a great line is a great foundation but it doesn't warrant having to take a DL or OL in the first. Add the fact that Gettleman and Rivera have both stated the need for offensive weapons, you have to think one could go and I'm just tired of not having a legit young WR. Its been far far far far too long.

Teams will have certain individuals in mind come draft day first and foremost. I think when people strategize and think about the combo scenarios (position wise) for the first few rounds they forget teams find specific guys who they think would fit and generate a list of who they want on the team.

Its highly probable we'll be looking at the likes of Patterson, Williams, Patton, Hopkins in my opinion and one could very well end up on the team.

#17 koolkatluke

koolkatluke

• HUDDLER
  • 7,847 posts
  • LocationNonya

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:36 PM

Yes, drafting at a posting where we have a 34 year old and a bunch of questions marks is a luxury.

Spot fuging on.

And will not change if we draft a (bust waiting to happen) wr from this years prospect.
No wr this years is considered a sure thing.

#18 koolkatluke

koolkatluke

• HUDDLER
  • 7,847 posts
  • LocationNonya

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:39 PM

DT is not typically a position with which you can expect much from a rookie. Sign a mid-range vet to play the nose and re-sign Dwan.

Neither is Wr unless you see a AJ Green, Julio Jones or Megatron in this class. Which I don't.

#19 koolkatluke

koolkatluke

• HUDDLER
  • 7,847 posts
  • LocationNonya

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:40 PM

If something were to happen to Smith, we'd be done. We'd have one legitimate receiver in LaFell who isn't going to stretch a field, one pretty underwhelming guy in Murphy who is the slowest "burner" I've ever seen, one guy who last played when Clausen was the starter, Pilares who can't ever seem to crack a lineup, Edwards who just doesn't seem like more than a returner, Joe Adams, who is allergic to footballs and a practice squad guy with dreamy measurables. Also Smith, while still an amazing player IS slowing down some.

I don't know if it will be this year, but at some point the franchise will need to bite the bullet and give him some help. Yeah, it sucks that our draft picks at WR mostly haven't panned out, but it needs to happen.

We will still be in the same shape if we draft a wr this year. Losing a player like Smith would hurt any team.

#20 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• ALL-PRO
  • 17,546 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:42 PM

Still think it's BPA and my money is on O-Line or D-Line. There are some decent WRs in the draft but I don't think we could have one fall to us as i suspect they are all 15+ picks.

I imagine Rivera is salivating over having a DT to slow 'em down before Kuechly brings the hammer.

#21 koolkatluke

koolkatluke

• HUDDLER
  • 7,847 posts
  • LocationNonya

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:43 PM

we have as our only legit threat at WR a soon to be 34 year old player who takes some of the hardest hits of anyone in the league and who gets in more scraps with defenders than he probably should and who also has a pretty lengthy injury history that we have been incredibly lucky to avoid for a couple years now.

we are on borrowed time with smitty.

WR is as much a priority as any other needs.

And if we drafted a wr (special this year) a 34 year old would still be our only legit threat at wr.

#22 bphardin2

bphardin2

NEWB

• NEWB
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:15 PM

If the running game is properly used, with our rbs not just Cam, our mediocre wideouts could look better. Dt have produced far too many busts. Secondary is a huge need in my opinion. Big plays and blown assignments have killed us the past 2 seasons.

#23 Rags

Rags

help

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,185 posts
  • LocationButtsville, NC

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:17 PM

And will not change if we draft a (bust waiting to happen) wr from this years prospect.
No wr this years is considered a sure thing.

...No ANYTHING in the draft is a sure thing

I'm not sure what you're getting at.

#24 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,424 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:19 PM

And if we drafted a wr (special this year) a 34 year old would still be our only legit threat at wr.

lol ok, if you say so.

#25 Rags

Rags

help

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,185 posts
  • LocationButtsville, NC

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:19 PM

koolkatluke are you trying to argue that drafting a WR that could help wouldn't change the dynamic of this team

Because that's bullshit a rookie WR could be a great help if we pick the right one.

EDIT: Reading your earlier posts that's exactly what you're saying.

You're saying only AJ Green/Calvin johnson/Julio Jones type WRs can help thier first years and uh

T.Y. Hilton (third round pick) : 50 Catches, 861 yards, 7 TDs
Torrey Smith (second round pick) : 50 catches, 841 yards, 7TDs
Mike Williams (fourth round pick): 65 catches, 964 yards, 11TDs
Percy Harvin (first round pick): 60 catches, 790 yards, 6TDs

just to name a few.

#26 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 25,357 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:34 PM

NYG in the first 3 rounds have pretty consistantly gone after 2 positions for the past 6 years...

DL and WR.

#27 DaCityKats

DaCityKats

feed KB 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 8,601 posts
  • LocationDa City

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:42 PM

NYG in the first 3 rounds have pretty consistantly gone after 2 positions for the past 6 years...

DL and WR.

help your qb,and get after the opposing qb.

#28 CPF4LIFE

CPF4LIFE

• HUDDLER
  • 5,167 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:48 PM

With the way we finish every season record wise, we will never be in a position to get the best receiver in the draft unless we trade way up. This might be the best time to get a guy and hope they reach their true potential with experience and still having Smitty around.

#29 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,424 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:51 PM

DL and WR.

yep.

#30 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 25,357 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:04 PM

New GM has pretty much said what he believes in...

And that is what the NYGs are doing. Expect lots of DTs/ DEs AND WRs in the next few drafts. Big bodies and touchdown scorers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com