Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mr. Scot

Countdown to Free Agency

50 posts in this topic

I don't think Young is worth the headache.

short leash made of a very thin string.

I'm not sure we're really going to know the extent of how well Gettleman can be in FA until a year or two from now when he's got more of our iffy contracts off the books.

The biggest thing I want to see is how we manage our existing players this offseason. I expect it will be pretty different from what we're used to.

short leash made of a very thin string.

I'm with you on this one Rayzor. I'm tired of seeing this team pass up talent because of character issues.

Alfonzo Dennard...Vontaze Burfict...

You lose nothing with trying, if it doesn't work out know when to cut your losses. In this case, if he signs for the minimum, it wouldn't be a loss.

Honestly though we really don't need superstar talent in FA. We have enough star power on this team, we really need to focus on improving the bottom of our roster. We need more reliable guys that are backups, special teamers and role-players.

yep.

i think there are holes on the starting roster that can be filled well enough by FA who simply just don't suck. we don't need stars on the interior DLine or right side of the OL. just big guys that won't be pushed around. we need safeties that don't blow assignments.

the front seven on the defense will make us get by without star power in the secondary. cam and the RB corps can do more with less on the OL as long as they are gelling on the line.

i think the only place that i think we need a high caliber player added is to the WR corps.

1 person likes this

We'll sign a couple scrubs after we do our June 1 bad contract purge.

Related Note: The league has now decided to give it's blessing to tampering (link)

So officially, no one can sign a contract till 4pm on March 12th, but you can talk to their agents from midnight on March 9th through Midnight of March 11th.

Makes sense, I suppose.

With Gettleman being a former pro personnel guy, I think we'll be fairly active in free agency as bargain shoppers. Kenny Phillips (if healthy) and Sammie Lee Hill are a few players that I think we could/should make a run at that wouldn't break the bank.

Also keep an eye on Sean Locklear as another potential addition. He was one of Gettleman's FA gems last year with the Giants that he talked about in his introduction press conference.

I'm torn on whether to expect much or not.

Heart says yes, but head looks at the cap and says no.

Will have to see what cap moves we make between now and March 12th.

I agree but these things always seem to work themselves out. We know for a fact that we have to be under the cap before the start of FA, so there will be some money to spend. It may be tough to make any big, big moves but free agency is about timing and there are some quality players that can really help this team and won't break the bank.

Antoine Cason is another guy I'd like to take look at. He's a CB with a lot of ability, and relatively young, and had his best years under Rivera and DB coach Steve Wilks in San Diego. He's struggled under the new defensive coaching staff and may not be re-signed. He may come in on a 1-year 'prove yourself' contract.

silly rule anyway. even sillier to expect teams to abide by it.

I hope our first signing weighs in the neighborhood 325 lbs and has a nasty streak. OL or DL

I wonder if JR still wakes up at night screaming Sean Gilbert's name.