Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is Ray Lewis really a top 5 linebacker?

23 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Hear me out. I am a Ray Lewis fan in terms of the way he plays. Great talent, certainly a hall of famer. Now, having said that, let's really look at this objectively.

A lot of people I know are trying to say that Ray is the greatest linebacker to play the game. Some say, while he's not the best linebacker in general, he is the best Mike LB to every play the game.

I think it's rather stupid, when talking about positions, to specify outside or inside linebacker (to me it's like saying LG or RG. Same position, slightly different roles based on the play).

So, here is my top 5 LBs of all time, as of this second (no particular order, but I'll try to put them in order from top down):

Lawrence Taylor
Dick Butkus
Jack Lambert
Mike Singletary
Ray Nitschke

Can anybody here honestly say Ray Lewis is better than any of those 5? Not to mention guys like Junior Seau, Jack Ham, Bill George, etc., who were amazing LBs as well.

Posted · Report post

i don't think anybody beats LT

ffs joe gibbs created a new position just because of him

Posted · Report post

i think you definitely need to make the distinction between ilbs and olbs.

ray is the best mlb of all time
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

He has the most all-pro selections for a MLB in NFL history. And yes there is a great difference between MLB and OLB.

Posted · Report post

Tommy Nobis.
Dick Butkus
Willie Lanier
Mike Singletary
Joe Schmidt

I have ray at 6. Speaking MLB specifically.

Posted · Report post

Ray Lewis is London Fletcher with a lot of hype.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

ray is great buddy and yes he is the best middle linebacker in history.

then when you add his leadership ability in the locker room.........its not even close.

see alot of people go on how they feel about rays past...if you look at play and stats you will know hes the best.

i bet you any amount of money any one who says ANYTHING CRITICAL about ray is mad that he is not in prison or dead from those bullets. haters gone hate. lol :lolu:

Posted · Report post

the ravens rode his emotional leadership to a championship, yes he is one of the best MLB ever. he has done it for about 15 seasons. 3-4 OLBr should be compared more to DE's, i think it's fair to distinguish them because their on the field duties are so different.

Posted · Report post

oh, and you think it's fair to say these LBr's most of us probably never saw play a game is better than Ray Lewis who is playing now when the game is 20xs the level what it used to be?

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Peppers90 NC' timestamp='1360081959' post='2125686']
oh, and you think it's fair to say these LBr's most of us probably never saw play a game is better than Ray Lewis who is playing now when the game is 20xs the level what it used to be?
[/quote]

what

Posted · Report post

[quote name='French Navy' timestamp='1360091511' post='2125836']

what
[/quote]
don't worry about it

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Peppers90 NC' timestamp='1360081959' post='2125686']
[/quote]
Players were tougher back then too.