NanuqoftheNorth

Frosty Alaskan Amber

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,217 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:24 PM

The Lottery of Birth. Bet we would all be more open minded if:

It’s 24 hours before your birth, and a genie appears to you. He tells you that you can set the rules for the world you’re about to enter — economic, social, political — the whole enchilada. Sounds great, right? What’s the catch?
You don't know your gender, race, nationality, natural abilities, and health prior to setting the rules — whether you are born rich or poor, sick or able-bodied, brilliant or below average, American or Zimbabwean. http://www.getrichsl...ttery-of-birth/

#2 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• HUDDLER
  • 17,028 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:00 AM

I would do a few things:
1) Make slavery impossible. Countries that have enslaved others based on race or creed have much higher crime rates today.
2) Make illegal drug trade impossible. Legalize all drugs.
3) Make every society homogeneous. Homogeneous societies are much more peaceful internally.

Beyond that I would leave it pretty much the same

#3 PhillyB

PhillyB

hug it chug it football

• HUDDLER
  • 19,333 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:02 AM

I use this term all the time. Understanding the power of the process of socialization and the fact that where you end up by way of that lottery is largely deterministic makes is one of the most important revelations I've stumbled upon over the last couple of years. But for blind luck I would be the homeless guy or the Muslim or whoever else Americans like to abhor... it makes criticism a little more difficult and perspective a much easier beast to handle.

great article, thanks for posting.

#4 L.A. Fanatic

L.A. Fanatic

LOWER YOUR FONT!!!!!!!!

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  • LocationLALA Land

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:31 PM

I know how lucky I am to have the parents I have and live in the country I live in, I don't need filthy rich people to remind me

Shouldn't we be the ones telling him how lucky he is to be him?

#5 Carolina Husker

Carolina Husker

I hate football

• HUDDLER
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:29 PM

Joke's on you, OP. Some Zimbabweans are rich white folk.

Ahh ha!

#6 NanuqoftheNorth

NanuqoftheNorth

Frosty Alaskan Amber

• HUDDLER
  • 4,217 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:36 PM

Joke's on you, OP. Some Zimbabweans are rich white folk.

Ahh ha!

I often dream of what might have been, had I only been born... a Zimbabwean. Who knows, I might have grown up to become President of the United States of America one day! Oh, wait, I would have needed to have been born a Kenyan for that! :D

#7 L.A. Fanatic

L.A. Fanatic

LOWER YOUR FONT!!!!!!!!

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  • LocationLALA Land

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:31 PM

it would atleast help you transfer to Columbia

#8 GOOGLE RON PAUL

GOOGLE RON PAUL

fleet-footed poster

• HUDDLER
  • 4,079 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:41 PM

But for blind luck I would be the homeless guy or the Muslim or whoever else Americans like to abhor... it makes criticism a little more difficult and perspective a much easier beast to handle.

orrrr

you could have been born the son of a business owner, forever cursed to whine about the estate tax on carolinahuddle.com because it's not faaiirrrr :(

anyway, i've talked about the genetic lottery on here many times and i've never really gotten a straight answer from those who desperately oppose "entitlements" yet fully support those who are given money and capital purely out of the luck of being born to someone who held it before. it's weird how society shouldn't provide healthcare or welfare for the poor because they need to earn their keep or whatever, yet when a spoiled, snobby moron cries because the government is going to tax his father's estate when it's passed on to him, it's somehow totally justified to be a complete fuging parasite

#9 L.A. Fanatic

L.A. Fanatic

LOWER YOUR FONT!!!!!!!!

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  • LocationLALA Land

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:50 PM

some people's parents give them athleticism, some get good genetics, other's receive musical talents because of the penis they came out of

what did your parents give you?

#10 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 32,830 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:56 PM

....aaaand as usual Cantrell, either intentionally or just because he's dense, completely spins the "entitlement" discussion to fit his world view. I haven't seen one person say that entitlements for people in need are a bad thing. The problem with the entitlement system is that its rife with abuse... But you go ahead with your hate of everyone that has done well in life and your blind trust of govt you sad, bitter person.

#11 GOOGLE RON PAUL

GOOGLE RON PAUL

fleet-footed poster

• HUDDLER
  • 4,079 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:57 PM

some people's parents give them athleticism, some get good genetics, other's receive musical talents because of the penis they came out of

what did your parents give you?

you'll find that i don't support a greater standard of living for those born with "good genetics" so i'm sorry to say your post is irrelevant and dumb but your post is irrelevant and dumb

why are "entitlements" bad until one feels entitled to the work of their parents?

#12 GOOGLE RON PAUL

GOOGLE RON PAUL

fleet-footed poster

• HUDDLER
  • 4,079 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:00 PM

....aaaand as usual Cantrell, either intentionally or just because he's dense, completely spins the "entitlement" discussion to fit his world view. I haven't seen one person say that entitlements for people in need are a bad thing. The problem with the entitlement system is that its rife with abuse... But you go ahead with your hate of everyone that has done well in life and your blind trust of govt you sad, bitter person.

bullshit

you can't go a day without stirs or g5 whining about lazy welfare queens or countless other "i pretend i'm a free thinking independent" types whining about "welfare abuse" which isn't actually "rife with abuse" at all!

oh and please explain how inheriting a business means you've "done well in life"

and then get back to me on that "blind trust of govt" considering the fact that i hold absolute contempt for both parties currently holding office, as well as the vast majority of current policy

also stop making fuging stupid posts pls

#13 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 32,830 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:04 PM

Like I said... Sad and bitter. You have my pity. Grow up.

#14 PhillyB

PhillyB

hug it chug it football

• HUDDLER
  • 19,333 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:06 PM

you can't go a day without stirs or g5 whining about lazy welfare queens or countless other "i pretend i'm a free thinking independent" types whining about "welfare abuse" which isn't actually "rife with abuse" at all!

how is the system not rife with abuse? (i'm not saying it is, but i've yet to see some post hard data to explain why it isn't)

#15 GOOGLE RON PAUL

GOOGLE RON PAUL

fleet-footed poster

• HUDDLER
  • 4,079 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:26 PM

how is the system not rife with abuse? (i'm not saying it is, but i've yet to see some post hard data to explain why it isn't)

shouldn't the burden of proof rest with the person making the assertion? also, how many times have you seen g5 or someone post a "SEE WELFARE ABUSE IS REEAAALLL" thread in which a person is actually being charged for the abuse (it's basically every time)? oh and "rife" is a p interesting word choice considering the study which i've posted here multiple times that found that less than 2% of welfare was obtained fraudulently. the bulk of whining about welfare boils down to "can you believe those poors have a refrigerator? WITH FOOD IN IT? what frauds!" and "this one time i was at wal mart and saw a black woman buying cigarettes and THERE'S OUR TAX DOLLARS AT WORK"

anyway, here's a thing

http://www.cbpp.org/...fa=view&id=3677

Such beliefs are starkly at odds with the basic facts regarding social programs, the analysis finds. Federal budget and Census data show that, in 2010, 91 percentof the benefit dollars from entitlement and other mandatory programs went to the elderly (people 65 and over), the seriously disabled, and members of working households. People who are neither elderly nor disabled — and do not live in a working household — received only 9 percent of the benefits.

Moreover, the vast bulk of that 9 percent goes for medical care, unemployment insurance benefits (which individuals must have a significant work history to receive), Social Security survivor benefits for the children and spouses of deceased workers, and Social Security benefits for retirees between ages 62 and 64. Seven out of the 9 percentage points go for one of these four purposes.

to me this type of spending doesn't constitute a problem and in fact keeps the rich alive. let the poor and their children go hungry and see how many bourgeois fugs are willing to leave their homes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.