Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How much is a guard worth?

31 posts in this topic

Posted

I dont think DeCastro is better than Warmack.

Posted

I dont think DeCastro is better than Warmack.

Then your opinion on the matter means even less.

Posted

Then your opinion on the matter means even less.

Oh really smart guy?? Explain why you think he is better then

Posted

that man love decastro he says his name everytime warmack is mentioned lol

tell us why castro is so much better???

Posted

i hope like hell we take warmack if he is there at 14.

Posted

With changes in defensive schemes, guards are worth increasingly more. Over the past few seasons we've seen more athletic interior lineman, in addition to more defensive ends moving inside on certain downs. Lawrence Taylor began the trend of pressure coming from the outside, particularly the blindside. But as blindside protection received increasingly more and more focus, defenses have started to exploit other parts of the line.

Overall, interior blockers are still less valuable than tackles. That being said, their value is increasing, and its worth the pick if the guard is a player of Warmack's caliber.

Posted

Lol why would I need to explain something that is consensus knowledge

"I mean if you think Luck is so great why don't you tell us why he's better than geno smith huh you must love him and wanna do something with him"

Posted

I've made this argument last year. That the OG position no matter who it is shouldn't be a top 10 to 15 pick. The top 10 guards have more latter round picks then 1st 2 round picks. Nicks and Evans are 2 of the best at their position and were 4th and 5th round picks. My question is when was, the last time a guard was taken in the top 15?

Posted

15. Kansas City (From Lions)- Branden Albert, G Virginia

Albert was the first guard taken in the draft, as well as the second Virginia Cavalier (behind No. 2 pick Chris Long). He was the highest selected guard since Chris Naeole went 10th overall to the New Orleans Saints in the 1997 NFL Draft.

Posted

They converted Albert to tackle

Posted

To me, no. You can find good Guards in the 3rd and 4th rounds in any given year. How often does a LT fall there? A shutdown CB? A QB? A Stud, pass-rushing DE? A #1 WR?

I think you draft the above players in the first round if possible and find a G later. While G is important, most teams drafting in the top 16 do not usually go into draft day saying, "Damn. If we only had a great G...."

Drafting Warmack is a luxury in the first round.

We need a #1 WR, possibly a LT, and a shutdown CB. They should come first.

Posted

They converted Albert to tackle

you think the panthers might do that with dallas thomas......?