Photo
- - - - -

How much is a guard worth?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#16 BigSyke

BigSyke

I Know you Watching me but I'm watching you too Playa...

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts
  • LocationFLORIDA

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:01 PM

that man love decastro he says his name everytime warmack is mentioned lol

tell us why castro is so much better???

#17 biggdownunder

biggdownunder

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Locationsydney, australia

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:06 AM

i hope like hell we take warmack if he is there at 14.

#18 OHK

OHK

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:45 AM

With changes in defensive schemes, guards are worth increasingly more. Over the past few seasons we've seen more athletic interior lineman, in addition to more defensive ends moving inside on certain downs. Lawrence Taylor began the trend of pressure coming from the outside, particularly the blindside. But as blindside protection received increasingly more and more focus, defenses have started to exploit other parts of the line.

Overall, interior blockers are still less valuable than tackles. That being said, their value is increasing, and its worth the pick if the guard is a player of Warmack's caliber.

#19 Growl

Growl

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 7,026 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:28 PM

Lol why would I need to explain something that is consensus knowledge

"I mean if you think Luck is so great why don't you tell us why he's better than geno smith huh you must love him and wanna do something with him"

#20 koolkatluke

koolkatluke

• HUDDLER
  • 7,847 posts
  • LocationNonya

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:51 AM

I've made this argument last year. That the OG position no matter who it is shouldn't be a top 10 to 15 pick. The top 10 guards have more latter round picks then 1st 2 round picks. Nicks and Evans are 2 of the best at their position and were 4th and 5th round picks. My question is when was, the last time a guard was taken in the top 15?

#21 pantherj

pantherj

• HUDDLER
  • 3,811 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:34 PM

15. Kansas City (From Lions)- Branden Albert, G Virginia

Albert was the first guard taken in the draft, as well as the second Virginia Cavalier (behind No. 2 pick Chris Long). He was the highest selected guard since Chris Naeole went 10th overall to the New Orleans Saints in the 1997 NFL Draft.

#22 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

The Frashmaker

• HUDDLER
  • 14,524 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:58 PM

They converted Albert to tackle

#23 MHS831

MHS831

• HUDDLER
  • 7,053 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:29 PM

To me, no. You can find good Guards in the 3rd and 4th rounds in any given year. How often does a LT fall there? A shutdown CB? A QB? A Stud, pass-rushing DE? A #1 WR?

I think you draft the above players in the first round if possible and find a G later. While G is important, most teams drafting in the top 16 do not usually go into draft day saying, "Damn. If we only had a great G...."

Drafting Warmack is a luxury in the first round.

We need a #1 WR, possibly a LT, and a shutdown CB. They should come first.

#24 BigSyke

BigSyke

• HUDDLER
  • 2,190 posts
  • LocationFLORIDA

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:16 PM

They converted Albert to tackle

you think the panthers might do that with dallas thomas......?

#25 koolkatluke

koolkatluke

• HUDDLER
  • 7,847 posts
  • LocationNonya

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:00 PM

To me, no. You can find good Guards in the 3rd and 4th rounds in any given year. How often does a LT fall there? A shutdown CB? A QB? A Stud, pass-rushing DE? A #1 WR?

I think you draft the above players in the first round if possible and find a G later. While G is important, most teams drafting in the top 16 do not usually go into draft day saying, "Damn. If we only had a great G...."

Drafting Warmack is a luxury in the first round.

We need a #1 WR, possibly a LT, and a shutdown CB. They should come first.

Dt and CB should be at the top of the list.

#26 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

The Frashmaker

• HUDDLER
  • 14,524 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:38 PM

It's definitely something they will try to explore

#27 MHS831

MHS831

• HUDDLER
  • 7,053 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:56 AM

Dt and CB should be at the top of the list.

Don't want argue with you, Luke, because I have no idea, except to say that there is a strong case for going offense. Protect Cam, the franchise, and give him better weapons. Why would you not give your best and most effective player all he needs to succeed? (OK, I am arguing with you--to a degree).

Last year Cam did it with (part of the year) SIlatolu, Hangartner, Byers/Austin/Williams, and Bell. We got lucky that Cam is not in 2 peices right now. There was no solid running game, and Smitty and Olsen were the only threatening targets.

A stud WR who is a deep threat would take focus off Smitty and make covering Olsen much more difficult, because it would require a LB in many cases.

I think we will look at DT in free agency and the names will not excite you. I also think we will draft a CB, but I am not sure we get more than Captain's replacement.

Who knows. We have many needs, but I think this offense is going to be great with a few tweaks, and the defense was top 10 without DTs and Gamble. NOT TO SAY WE SHOULD NOT ADDRESS CB and DT--but I have a feeling that the next few weeks will tell us a lot about Gettlemen's strategy. He already brought in a street free agent NT with starting experience. If you look at the Giants' recent free agent activity, they were active in bringing in no name DTs (but they drafted Marvin Austin in the first).

#28 Dollar Store Dave

Dollar Store Dave

Formerly Know As Ruff

• HUDDLER
  • 7,318 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:22 AM

Dallas thomas has already been a tackle.

#29 BigSyke

BigSyke

• HUDDLER
  • 2,190 posts
  • LocationFLORIDA

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:35 AM

Dallas thomas has already been a tackle.

yeah thats why i think they might do it......hes being projected as a guard now.. but yeah i looked him up and saw that he had played lt for sometime.

#30 koolkatluke

koolkatluke

• HUDDLER
  • 7,847 posts
  • LocationNonya

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:43 AM

Don't want argue with you, Luke, because I have no idea, except to say that there is a strong case for going offense. Protect Cam, the franchise, and give him better weapons. Why would you not give your best and most effective player all he needs to succeed? (OK, I am arguing with you--to a degree).

Last year Cam did it with (part of the year) SIlatolu, Hangartner, Byers/Austin/Williams, and Bell. We got lucky that Cam is not in 2 peices right now. There was no solid running game, and Smitty and Olsen were the only threatening targets.

A stud WR who is a deep threat would take focus off Smitty and make covering Olsen much more difficult, because it would require a LB in many cases.

I think we will look at DT in free agency and the names will not excite you. I also think we will draft a CB, but I am not sure we get more than Captain's replacement.

Who knows. We have many needs, but I think this offense is going to be great with a few tweaks, and the defense was top 10 without DTs and Gamble. NOT TO SAY WE SHOULD NOT ADDRESS CB and DT--but I have a feeling that the next few weeks will tell us a lot about Gettlemen's strategy. He already brought in a street free agent NT with starting experience. If you look at the Giants' recent free agent activity, they were active in bringing in no name DTs (but they drafted Marvin Austin in the first).

We will be good on Offense with a Few tweaks like a FA RG and better Play Caller. I keep saying this but people forget we were a big play offense when the Oline did their job and Chud didn't have his head up his ass.

We have a chance to have a really good defense and the playoff showed that the better defenses have more success. We can't affrod to let this chance go by of building a champoinship level defense.
We need DT' and Secondary help special in this division. We can win this division by having the best defense. We already have a Pass Rush but we can make it better by adding a top level young DT and a Safety or CB on the back end.

Getting into to shootouts isn't going to wok every time when we are Facing Matt Ryan and Drew Brees. We do better when we can stop them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com