Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

No more Saturday mail delivery

31 posts in this topic

Posted

That makes a lot of sense.

If it costs more to use UPS/FedEx then so be it. The idea that their costs are kept artificially low because they get to access the resources of a taxpayer supported system is actually offensive. Let the burden of the cost of those delivery services fall on those who use those services.

The guts of the USPS is not taxpayer supported and historically the post office has supported itself. And run a huge surplus.

The USPS gets allocated some tax dollars to fund federally mandated free mail such as overseas voting ballots or blind people who get free postage.

If there weren't these programs the USPS would not take any tax dollars.

Posted

Oh no, you mean I will have to wait till monday to get all those credit card and refinance offers? The horror. ;)

Probably should have done it years ago.

Posted

Agree with Inimicus on the 3 day thing with one caveat.

Think the actual office could be open 6 days, but deliveries would only occur three days to any area.

One area gets mail on mwf, others on ttf. This way, many cuts in fuel, equipment, wages, etc would yield savings but not destroy the service.

Posted

The main issue is businesses who enjoy daily pick up and delivery at their door. I'm sure some businesses rely on this heavily although I don't have any examples.

This is why they are cutting Saturday and not, say, Wednesday.

Posted

The main issue is businesses who enjoy daily pick up and delivery at their door. I'm sure some businesses rely on this heavily although I don't have any examples.

This is why they are cutting Saturday and not, say, Wednesday.

Those businesses usually have relationships with fedex, ups, or dhl

Posted

It will hurt the spam marketers for sure, but most businesses don't rely super heavy on USPS mail I don't think.

I probably mail less than a dozen items a year out of my office. We ship some, but we're almost exclusively digital deliveries now... email, FTP, etc.

If USPS went to 3 days a week, wouldn't miss a beat here.

Posted

Those businesses usually have relationships with fedex, ups, or dhl

Postmaster General Patrick Donahoe’s plan to end Saturday delivery is a disastrous idea that would have a profoundly negative effect on the Postal Service and on millions of customers. It would be particularly harmful to small businesses, rural communities, the elderly, the disabled and others who depend on Saturday delivery for commerce and communication.

Not sure who these businesses are but there must be some

Posted

I don't see it either... I suspect that unless someone's waiting a check or something, a lot of people don't even check their Saturday mail... we don't.

Posted

I don't see it either... I suspect that unless someone's waiting a check or something, a lot of people don't even check their Saturday mail... we don't.

I always do.

Never anything good in there though.

Posted

No big deal.

Now if only I can get my mail people to stop giving me my neighbors mail. How hard is it to tell the difference between 2193 and 2195?

Posted

No big deal.

Now if only I can get my mail people to stop giving me my neighbors mail. How hard is it to tell the difference between 2193 and 2195?

Yes, this is a problem... we are constantly getting neighbors mail and magazines... and more than once we're missing magazines we're due.

Posted

This likely will not save them any money. The only way for the USPS to save any money is to fire 60% of it's employees. But I guess that could be said of congress as well.