#11 Inimicus

Inimicus

Life is better in a kayak

SUPPORTER

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:38 AM

The small flat rate boxes are nice.
Maybe say if it won't fit in a standard mailbox it should be UPS/Fed-Ex

That makes a lot of sense.

ups/fedex use the usps a lot to cut their own costs... doing away with parcel delivery would probably make prices rise significantly across the board.

If it costs more to use UPS/FedEx then so be it. The idea that their costs are kept artificially low because they get to access the resources of a taxpayer supported system is actually offensive. Let the burden of the cost of those delivery services fall on those who use those services.

#12 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:42 AM

If it costs more to use UPS/FedEx then so be it. The idea that their costs are kept artificially low because they get to access the resources of a taxpayer supported system is actually offensive. Let the burden of the cost of those delivery services fall on those who use those services.

but realistically, the usps is built to subsidize shipping costs... that's part of the cost of living in a gigantic country... i'm not saying they shouldn't cut costs and restructure themselves... they should. But surely you can see that the service they provide is to some extent a "public good."

#13 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

SUPPORTER

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:47 AM

The guts of the USPS is not taxpayer supported and historically the post office has supported itself. And run a huge surplus.

The USPS gets allocated some tax dollars to fund federally mandated free mail such as overseas voting ballots or blind people who get free postage.

If there weren't these programs the USPS would not take any tax dollars.

#14 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

HUDDLER

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:00 AM

Oh no, you mean I will have to wait till monday to get all those credit card and refinance offers? The horror. ;)

Probably should have done it years ago.

#15 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

HUDDLER

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:07 AM

Agree with Inimicus on the 3 day thing with one caveat.

Think the actual office could be open 6 days, but deliveries would only occur three days to any area.

One area gets mail on mwf, others on ttf. This way, many cuts in fuel, equipment, wages, etc would yield savings but not destroy the service.

#16 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

SUPPORTER

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:09 AM

The main issue is businesses who enjoy daily pick up and delivery at their door. I'm sure some businesses rely on this heavily although I don't have any examples.

This is why they are cutting Saturday and not, say, Wednesday.

#17 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

Moderators

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:19 AM

The main issue is businesses who enjoy daily pick up and delivery at their door. I'm sure some businesses rely on this heavily although I don't have any examples.

This is why they are cutting Saturday and not, say, Wednesday.

Those businesses usually have relationships with fedex, ups, or dhl

#18 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• LocationWilmington, NC
HUDDLER

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:24 AM

It will hurt the spam marketers for sure, but most businesses don't rely super heavy on USPS mail I don't think.

I probably mail less than a dozen items a year out of my office. We ship some, but we're almost exclusively digital deliveries now... email, FTP, etc.

If USPS went to 3 days a week, wouldn't miss a beat here.

#19 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

SUPPORTER

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:27 AM

Those businesses usually have relationships with fedex, ups, or dhl

Postmaster General Patrick Donahoe’s plan to end Saturday delivery is a disastrous idea that would have a profoundly negative effect on the Postal Service and on millions of customers. It would be particularly harmful to small businesses, rural communities, the elderly, the disabled and others who depend on Saturday delivery for commerce and communication.

Not sure who these businesses are but there must be some

#20 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• LocationWilmington, NC
HUDDLER

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:30 AM

I don't see it either... I suspect that unless someone's waiting a check or something, a lot of people don't even check their Saturday mail... we don't.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users