• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#16 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• ALL-PRO
  • 18,244 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:09 AM

The main issue is businesses who enjoy daily pick up and delivery at their door. I'm sure some businesses rely on this heavily although I don't have any examples.

This is why they are cutting Saturday and not, say, Wednesday.

#17 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 24,385 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:19 AM

The main issue is businesses who enjoy daily pick up and delivery at their door. I'm sure some businesses rely on this heavily although I don't have any examples.

This is why they are cutting Saturday and not, say, Wednesday.

Those businesses usually have relationships with fedex, ups, or dhl

#18 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,017 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:24 AM

It will hurt the spam marketers for sure, but most businesses don't rely super heavy on USPS mail I don't think.

I probably mail less than a dozen items a year out of my office. We ship some, but we're almost exclusively digital deliveries now... email, FTP, etc.

If USPS went to 3 days a week, wouldn't miss a beat here.

#19 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• ALL-PRO
  • 18,244 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:27 AM

Those businesses usually have relationships with fedex, ups, or dhl

Postmaster General Patrick Donahoe’s plan to end Saturday delivery is a disastrous idea that would have a profoundly negative effect on the Postal Service and on millions of customers. It would be particularly harmful to small businesses, rural communities, the elderly, the disabled and others who depend on Saturday delivery for commerce and communication.

Not sure who these businesses are but there must be some

#20 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 34,017 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:30 AM

I don't see it either... I suspect that unless someone's waiting a check or something, a lot of people don't even check their Saturday mail... we don't.

#21 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• ALL-PRO
  • 18,244 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:38 AM

I don't see it either... I suspect that unless someone's waiting a check or something, a lot of people don't even check their Saturday mail... we don't.

I always do.

Never anything good in there though.

#22 Cary Kollins

Cary Kollins

tengo baking soda

• ALL-PRO
  • 7,318 posts
  • LocationWinston-Salem, NC

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:39 AM

No big deal.

Now if only I can get my mail people to stop giving me my neighbors mail. How hard is it to tell the difference between 2193 and 2195?

#23 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 34,017 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:03 PM

No big deal.

Now if only I can get my mail people to stop giving me my neighbors mail. How hard is it to tell the difference between 2193 and 2195?

Yes, this is a problem... we are constantly getting neighbors mail and magazines... and more than once we're missing magazines we're due.

#24 Disinfranchised

Disinfranchised

Disinfranchised

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts
  • LocationStokeridge

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:32 PM

This likely will not save them any money. The only way for the USPS to save any money is to fire 60% of it's employees. But I guess that could be said of congress as well.

#25 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• ALL-PRO
  • 18,244 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:51 PM

This likely will not save them any money. The only way for the USPS to save any money is to fire 60% of it's employees. But I guess that could be said of congress as well.

They already fired 35%...

#26 Disinfranchised

Disinfranchised

Disinfranchised

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts
  • LocationStokeridge

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:15 PM

They already fired 35%...

And went up on stamps. It's not the work they are doing that cost them. It's the work thay are not doing. Ever been to a big post office and looked around?

#27 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• ALL-PRO
  • 18,244 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:36 PM

And went up on stamps. It's not the work they are doing that cost them. It's the work thay are not doing. Ever been to a big post office and looked around?

This is not remotely the reason that the post office is losing money. Until 2006 the post office made money hand over foot with 35% more of the same workers.

The main reason is that congress fully controls how the post office acts.

Congress passed laws in 2006 that dictate how the post office funds retirement benefits which is very aggressive and saps profits.

http://news.blogs.cn...postal-service/

But if the post office wants to enact other measures that will generate profits they can't do it without congress permission. There is a limit on stamp increases to match inflation for example. Any other company in the world would consider raising prices if they are losing money. USPS can't do that.

Technically the USPS can't stop Saturday delivery either but sources say by continuing to deliver packages and possibly first class mail they are exploiting a loophole in the laws.

USPS could expand into other services to generate profit? Nope

Close useless branches? Nope

The model simply doesn't work anymore. It should have all been privatized ages ago.

#28 Disinfranchised

Disinfranchised

Disinfranchised

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts
  • LocationStokeridge

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:47 PM

This is not remotely the reason that the post office is losing money. Until 2006 the post office made money hand over foot with 35% more of the same workers.

The main reason is that congress fully controls how the post office acts.

Congress passed laws in 2006 that dictate how the post office funds retirement benefits which is very aggressive and saps profits.

http://news.blogs.cn...postal-service/

But if the post office wants to enact other measures that will generate profits they can't do it without congress permission. There is a limit on stamp increases to match inflation for example. Any other company in the world would consider raising prices if they are losing money. USPS can't do that.

Technically the USPS can't stop Saturday delivery either but sources say by continuing to deliver packages and possibly first class mail they are exploiting a loophole in the laws.

USPS could expand into other services to generate profit? Nope

Close useless branches? Nope

The model simply doesn't work anymore. It should have all been privatized ages ago.

Sorry dude. I did not know that you "worked" for the PO

#29 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 19,513 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:42 AM

I do.....just so I can clear out all of the junk mail and bills. Gotta make room for the next day's crap.

I swear I get about 5 useful pieces of mail a week....at the most.

#30 GOOGLE RON PAUL

GOOGLE RON PAUL

fleet-footed poster

• HUDDLER
  • 4,384 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:59 AM

it's amazing how people will willingly overlook the burden placed on the postal service by the government in order to pretend like its failure confirms their dumb free market bullshit

regulation that would prevent the banks from destroying the world economy (like they nearly did just a few years ago)? BOOO BAD REGULATION

regulation that serves no purpose other than to hamstring the usps so that it may someday be eliminated while the politicians who made it happen receive massive kickbacks from ups/fedex/et al? YEAH GOOD POLICY I SAY

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com