NanuqoftheNorth

Frosty Alaskan Amber

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,109 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:32 PM

Posted Image
pope in the new yorker magazine In a move that is sure to raise eyebrows, Governor Elect Pat McCrory today announced that Republican mega-donor and Rose’s Department store heir Art Pope will play a major role in the new Governor’s transition team. So will several of Art Pope’s current and former advisers Art Pope is famous in North Carolina for also using millions of his own dollars bank-rolling the GOP take-over of the General Assembly in 2010 as well as the scandal plagued Wake County school board that tried to bring back a form of school segregation. The take-over of the General Assembly led to the latest round of redistricting which was used, as one Republican consultant put it, “To make wombs for our guys and tombs for the other guys”. Pope is widely seen as one of the poster boys for the damage that the Citizens United decision has done to American politics. http://www.camelcity...-of-transition/

#47 NanuqoftheNorth

NanuqoftheNorth

Frosty Alaskan Amber

• HUDDLER
  • 4,109 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:41 PM

State for Sale

A conservative multimillionaire has taken control in North Carolina, one of 2012’s top battlegrounds

Art Pope Owns North Carolina Pope's triumph in 2010 was sweeping. According to an analysis by the Institute for Southern Studies, of the twenty-two legislative races targeted by him, his family, and their organizations, the Republicans won eighteen, placing both chambers of the General Assembly firmly under Republican majorities for the first time since 1870. North Carolina's Democrats in Congress hung on to power, but those in the state legislature, where Pope had focused his spending, were routed.
The institute also found that three-quarters of the spending by independent groups in North Carolina's 2010 state races came from accounts linked to Pope. http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2011/10/art-pope-owns-north-carolina/246295/

Read more: http://www.newyorker...r#ixzz2KL2bc6CB

#48 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 16,319 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:20 PM

Wait, someone was spending money on state legislature races when a good percentage of voters don't even know who their state representative is? Talk about a waste of money.

#49 NanuqoftheNorth

NanuqoftheNorth

Frosty Alaskan Amber

• HUDDLER
  • 4,109 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:41 PM

Wait, someone was spending money on state legislature races when a good percentage of voters don't even know who their state representative is? Talk about a waste of money.

Quite the contrary my good man! Fat Cat Political Money is most effective when the general public is ignorant of the truth. As the results from 2010 and 2012 in NC clearly show.

#50 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,154 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:10 PM

Good grief...hilarious how Pope has become the Koch brothers version of North Carolina.

I love the ignorant display Nanuq is showing regarding the Wake county school board situation.

Do you live in Wake county? Do you even know what the issue was about?

Here's a hint...had a lot to do with this.

http://www.nytimes.c...wer-choice-is-2

Hateful bigotted Mecklenbug school systems attempting to edumacate minorities...

Maybe you should ask exactly what was going on in Wake county (NOT just busing) that caused a firestorm to kick out the democrats in the mid 2000s.

#51 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• HUDDLER
  • 22,793 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:19 PM

Yeah its hilarious enough that you need to change the subject.

#52 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,154 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:23 PM

Read post #46...I didn't.

Just another liberal boogeyman. You know...like voter fraud is to you.

#53 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

• HUDDLER
  • 22,793 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:20 PM

You must be referring to the boogeyman with all the actual evidence.

#54 NanuqoftheNorth

NanuqoftheNorth

Frosty Alaskan Amber

• HUDDLER
  • 4,109 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:51 PM

Here is the irony for me. When I was first following politics as a teenager in Charlotte, I dreamed of the day the city could get out from under the control of the backwards thinking, self serving, Eastern North Carolina Democrats. They were constantly taking the money our city generated and using it for big dollar projects back in the capital and eastern counties. Finally, the day for change arrives and while the Governor is from Charlotte, his cronies are more backwards thinking and self serving than the individuals they replaced. Be careful what you wish for.

#55 Kral

Kral

Internet Legend

• HUDDLER
  • 6,828 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:03 PM

Here is the irony for me. When I was first following politics as a teenager in Charlotte, I dreamed of the day the city could get out from under the control of the backwards thinking, self serving, Eastern North Carolina Democrats. They were constantly taking the money our city generated and using it for big dollar projects back in the capital and eastern counties. Finally, the day for change arrives and while the Governor is from Charlotte, his cronies are more backwards thinking and self serving than the individuals they replaced. Be careful what you wish for.

I'm glad you see that the republicrats are the problem not the solution.

#56 jtnc

jtnc

Resident Asshole

• HUDDLER
  • 13,292 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:43 AM

Not to sound childish, but with all due respect. McCrory can suck my left nut.

#57 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,154 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:56 AM

If recent state government shifts to R are any indication. Unless fiscal responsibility isn't a huge concern for you and jtgreensboro...blight must be a beacon of democrat success.

#58 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 16,319 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:56 AM

Quite the contrary my good man! Fat Cat Political Money is most effective when the general public is ignorant of the truth. As the results from 2010 and 2012 in NC clearly show.

North carolina has been slowly trending towards a republican majority for a while now. Fwiw, the republicans took control in 2010 with districts that had been drawn by Democrats. Democratic complaints of gerrymandering ring somewhat hollow. And the article you linked earlier doesn't compare the recent election with past election results. It doesn't mention any voting trends or anything else that might impact the election. It doesn't mention how many districts in NC were actually impacted by redistricting. It doesn't discuss how having a popular african american candidate impacted voter turnout in urban districts.

I have my doubts as to how much spending really impacts elections. In the last presidential election, Romney actually spent slightly more than Obama, but it didn't seem to help. And I think spending has less of an impact on local small scale elections than it does on the more well known elections. And in this case, blaming it on additional spending ignores a few things. Specifically, the unpopularity of governor perdue, and a unemployment rate that is still higher than the national average.

#59 NanuqoftheNorth

NanuqoftheNorth

Frosty Alaskan Amber

• HUDDLER
  • 4,109 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 09 February 2013 - 03:36 PM

Deny the influence of money on political outcomes all you want, but Art Pope's actions shows he strongly disagrees with your assessment. Art Pope also invested his personal time and money overseeing the gerrymandering process to make sure the NC GOP got that right too. Gerrymandering is nothing new to politics, what is relatively new is having access to sophisticated software that so advantageously redraws the districts, it virtually guarantees victory. When a majority of North Carolinians vote for Democratic representation in the US Congress and the vast majority of representatives are Republican, it is difficult to believe the "Democratic Process" is alive and well in the state. What we witnessed in this last election is called voter disenfranchisement. If you are Ok with negating the concept of one person, one vote, you are Ok with the way NC runs its elections.

#60 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

• HUDDLER
  • 22,793 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:59 PM

http://www.huffingto...hp_ref=politics

Hey G5 great to see we are going to get the party of goodness in to erase the party of badness.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.