104 replies to this topic

#61 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,000 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:25 PM

Here is the irony for me. When I was first following politics as a teenager in Charlotte, I dreamed of the day the city could get out from under the control of the backwards thinking, self serving, Eastern North Carolina Democrats. They were constantly taking the money our city generated and using it for big dollar projects back in the capital and eastern counties. Finally, the day for change arrives and while the Governor is from Charlotte, his cronies are more backwards thinking and self serving than the individuals they replaced. Be careful what you wish for.

as someone from the east... i have no idea what these big dollar projects could possibly have been.

sure didn't go into education or infrastructure.

#62 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 17,005 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:37 PM

Deny the influence of money on political outcomes all you want, but Art Pope's actions shows he strongly disagrees with your assessment. Art Pope also invested his personal time and money overseeing the gerrymandering process to make sure the NC GOP got that right too. Gerrymandering is nothing new to politics, what is relatively new is having access to sophisticated software that so advantageously redraws the districts, it virtually guarantees victory. When a majority of North Carolinians vote for Democratic representation in the US Congress and the vast majority of representatives are Republican, it is difficult to believe the "Democratic Process" is alive and well in the state. What we witnessed in this last election is called voter disenfranchisement. If you are Ok with negating the concept of one person, one vote, you are Ok with the way NC runs its elections.

Regarding money, there have been a lot of studies regarding the effect of advertising on votes, and the results are mixed. My opinion is that it only impacts a very small percentage of voters. In a close race, it might matter, but in most races, it doesn't matter so much.

Regarding representative elections, vote totals are irrelevant. One person, one vote applies to the district one is in, but from a statewide perspective (or national if we are talking about congress) it doesn't matter and that is the way the founders designed it.

Case in point, Mel Watts won 80% of the vote in his district (created by the democrats btw), which skewed the hell out of the vote totals for NC house of representatives. And as I said, if they can compare the results to previous elections and show some discrepancy between current vote totals and vote totals from previous elections, then the article's point might be meaningful.

#63 GOOGLE RON PAUL

GOOGLE RON PAUL

fleet-footed poster

• HUDDLER
  • 4,172 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:42 AM

It’s a mistake to look at minimum wage jobs with scorn. I’ve had plenty. They’re often the entry to higher paid positions, and the skills learned can even lead to new careers. We shouldn’t deprive the unemployed the opportunity provided by any job, including those that pay minimum wage, by making it advantageous to stay economically unproductive.

By reducing benefits and refusing to accept extended federal benefits (after state payments expire), the state will repay that federal debt quicker. That’s when the positive economic dominos fall. Money employers had used to pay higher federal unemployment taxes will be free up for jobs, the solution to unemployment.

lol this is just precious

you see by cutting unemployment benefits we can exploi-, er i mean we can give the unemployed the opportunity to work for minimum wage

oh and when employers pay lower taxes they hire more people rather than pocket the difference and continue to only hire when necessary because uhhhhh idk really just trust me on this one when have i, a republican, ever lied for financial or political gain?

e:

Now the feds want their money back, and they’re putting the squeeze on North Carolina employers. Federal unemployment taxes are being hiked at the rate of $21 per employee, per year, until the debt is repaid. N.C. Chamber President Lew Ebert cited this increase as a primary reason that private employers added only 60,000 jobs last year when 100,000 were needed to reduce the state’s stubbornly high unemployment rate – the fifth-highest in the country.

some say tax cuts create jobs however opponents cite recorded fuging history

#64 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 20,909 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:50 AM

Do former and current employers pay into the unemployment fund or does the dinero fairy cover that?

#65 Zaximus

Zaximus

I'm Brett Jensen

• HUDDLER
  • 4,931 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:03 PM

So Pat's unemployment bill got signed today. I'm usually OK with some changes to unemployment, but this guy is clueless if he thinks 350 a week is going to keep people afloat (and these are the working people with homes and car payments and families). This guy has no clue about the job market out there. What about the Duke Energy tax hike that will affect so many in NC? He also raises taxes on businesses at the same time, so how is that supposed to "create" jobs since, his party says taxes kill jobs? Shouldn't we expect bills that create jobs first before this?

#66 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,309 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:09 PM

We will see how it goes. Your logic is sound, and of course we all know that "taxes" don't "kill jobs" thats just the RNC rhetoric. The most properous period in American history, the 1950s, had a much higher overall tax rate then we do now.

#67 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,503 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:23 PM

So Pat's unemployment bill got signed today. I'm usually OK with some changes to unemployment, but this guy is clueless if he thinks 350 a week is going to keep people afloat (and these are the working people with homes and car payments and families). This guy has no clue about the job market out there. What about the Duke Energy tax hike that will affect so many in NC? He also raises taxes on businesses at the same time, so how is that supposed to "create" jobs since, his party says taxes kill jobs? Shouldn't we expect bills that create jobs first before this?

Do you understand how NC's unemployment was being funded?

#68 Zaximus

Zaximus

I'm Brett Jensen

• HUDDLER
  • 4,931 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:33 PM

Do you understand how NC's unemployment was being funded?

Of course. But now is not the time. It is time to create jobs, not create welfare recipients.

I'm not completely against the plan, but this guy needs to cool his jets instead of being trigger happy. Timing is bad.

#69 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,503 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:44 PM

Of course. But now is not the time. It is time to create jobs, not create welfare recipients.

I'm not completely against the plan, but this guy needs to cool his jets instead of being trigger happy. Timing is bad.

This...in conjunction with unemployment fraud AND overpayments? This is the right time because we really should focus help on those that really need it.

A lot of systems are going to be completely revamped. Medicare system is a joke...unemployment systems failed even Obama's federal tests. We can't keep just borrowing money to dole out to people that may/may not deserve it. There will be failsafes, but some on the unemployment teat need weening. How many people have stories of people that find it more lucrative to stay on unemployment than take a low paying job?

http://www.wral.com/...story/11071867/

Doesn't matter...NC was digging a budgetary hole with two shovels...borrowing money with ZERO plans of repayment and giving it out to people with very little oversight and gumption to do something about it because it simply tugs on the heartstrings of everyone. The economy might be bad...but it's not THAT bad yet.

#70 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • 3,467 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:46 PM

Pat and his buddies are now setting their sights on the planning and development conditions on the coast. Apparently they think the commissions no longer need expert opinions on the board that are not involved in real estate development. Hell, they don't think the board members even need to live in the state of North Carolina.

This bill is a gift to real estate developers that will allow them to pretty much develop the coasts at will. This bill goes along nicely with Bev's bill that allows insurance companies to charge all homeowners more to subsidize their losses for coastal homes that receive hurricane damage.

Pat is just as clueless as what we had before, but he's showing early on that he may be more destructive.

#71 Gazi

Gazi

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 7,831 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:47 PM

We do it so you wouldn't be robbed by some starving-nothing-to-lose American in 12 months.

#72 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • 3,467 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:55 PM

We do it so you wouldn't be robbed by some starving-nothing-to-lose American in 12 months.

I'm sure he has a gun to take care of that problem.

#73 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,503 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:56 PM

Pat and his buddies are now setting their sights on the planning and development conditions on the coast. Apparently they think the commissions no longer need expert opinions on the board that are not involved in real estate development. Hell, they don't think the board members even need to live in the state of North Carolina.

This bill is a gift to real estate developers that will allow them to pretty much develop the coasts at will. This bill goes along nicely with Bev's bill that allows insurance companies to charge all homeowners more to subsidize their losses for coastal homes that receive hurricane damage.

Pat is just as clueless as what we had before, but he's showing early on that he may be more destructive.

Who's going to be on the board.

#74 thefuzz

thefuzz

coppin a feel

• HUDDLER
  • 8,334 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:09 PM

I'm always amazed that people EXPECT to be taken care of by governments when they hit holes in the road.

We don't have the money, but you expect it anyway.

#75 Zaximus

Zaximus

I'm Brett Jensen

• HUDDLER
  • 4,931 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:12 PM

So the government pushed Americans to "buy, buy, buy" in the 90's and early 2000's (homes, cars, etc), and now wants to cut weekly unemployment to a laughable 350 a week? Can you seriously sit there on your keyboard and say that 350 a week is going to help keep a family afloat with mortgage payments, car payments, ridiculous grocery bills, and an increase in Duke Power bills? That is why it's there, to keep people from going in the deep end. Shouldn't we help our citizens from going further into debt during that tough time (debt, which got us into this whole mess)? White collar crime was the cause and yet blue collars are paying the price now? Of course some people abuse it, just like everything. Does that mean you should make it almost impossible on the 8/10 people that use it correctly?

It can take weeks and weeks, even months (usually longer) to find a job. Do you want someone that has these bills to go work for ANYTHING that is thrown at them and get in.... more debt? Will that really help the economy? No, it puts MORE power into companies that have the advantage over desperate workers. We need to raise minimum wage but yet ole' Pat wants to lower unemployment?

What this does is essentially put MORE people in debt, makes things in the country worse, gives more power to the rich, forces citizens to drain their savings and 401k's just to pay some bills and eliminate the ability to save, not to mention creating even more welfare recipients (which I know republicans love).

And don't even start that "expect to be taken care of". This is something that is needed for the good of the country. I pay for YOUR children to go to public school even though I don't have a child of my own. Why don't I get a choice in that? I always love right wingers who bash unemployment and welfare but when things come to a halt for them they are the FIRST people signing up for it and using it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com