#16 Disinfranchised

Disinfranchised

Disinfranchised

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts
  • LocationStokeridge

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:56 PM

part of the problem is they aren't actually in court... If she had been in court with a lawyer instead of standing in a holding cell looking at a camera I can almost guarantee you this wouldn't happen. It's not an excuse... but when prisoners aren't given actual hearings in order to save money... and the result is a 30 day sentence that we all agree could (and probably should) have been avoided... what's the takeaway?

"If you can not afford one, one will be appointed for you."

#17 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,666 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:57 PM

part of the problem is they aren't actually in court... If she had been in court with a lawyer instead of standing in a holding cell looking at a camera I can almost guarantee you this wouldn't happen. It's not an excuse... but when prisoners aren't given actual hearings in order to save money... and the result is a 30 day sentence that we all agree could (and probably should) have been avoided... what's the takeaway?

How about don't put yourself in that position in the first place?

And maybe if you do wind up in that position, don't make it worse by being stupid?

Antagonizing the person who decides whether or not you go free isn't exactly a sign of sound thinking.

#18 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 14,000 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:03 PM

"If you can not afford one, one will be appointed for you."

not for arraignment bud. And actually florida (where this is) doesn't provide them for first appearances...

if she had a lawyer... he/she would be there.

#19 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 14,000 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:09 PM

How about don't put yourself in that position in the first place?

And maybe if you do wind up in that position, don't make it worse by being stupid?

Antagonizing the person who decides whether or not you go free isn't exactly a sign of sound thinking.

i don't disagree that she's acting like a jackass. she's a freaking child... she obviously doesn't know how to conduct herself or how to deal with the situation she's in... I just don't think sending her to jail is going to help that problem... The judge is an adult... he started out speaking familiarly to her... "bye bye" he says sarcastically and she responds in kind...he knows better and he stooped to her level. That's a much bigger deal in my opinion. I doubt she's ever been in front of a judge before and she didn't know how to act. Again, none of this excuses her actions but the judge met her half-way and if she'd had a lawyer it would've gone totally differently.

#20 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 10,727 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:12 PM

She looks like her last name should be Lohan

#21 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 38,666 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:12 PM

i don't disagree that she's acting like a jackass. she's a freaking child... she obviously doesn't know how to conduct herself or how to deal with the situation she's in... I just don't think sending her to jail is going to help that problem... The judge is an adult... he started out speaking familiarly to her... "bye bye" he says sarcastically and she responds in kind...he knows better and he stooped to her level. That's a much bigger deal in my opinion. I doubt she's ever been in front of a judge before and she didn't know how to act. Again, none of this excuses her actions but the judge met her half-way and if she'd had a lawyer it would've gone totally differently.

I don't really fault the judge much. She acted like it was all a joke till she saw the consequences.

I get the impression she's one of those that probably only learns things the hard way.

#22 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 14,000 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:30 PM

I don't really fault the judge much. She acted like it was all a joke till she saw the consequences.

I get the impression she's one of those that probably only learns things the hard way.

and i guarantee you'd have a different impression of her if she was dressed up standing in a court room next to a lawyer instead of in an orange jumpsuit on a cctv. She's 18 dude. busted for xanex... flipped a judge off. 30 days in jail? Jesus christ, she would've been better off if she'd beaten the poo out of someone... or maybe negligently killed someone with her car. She'd have to be busted 3 times driving drunk in Florida to be given an equivalent sentence... It's absurd.

#23 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,624 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:31 PM

She's not in a holding cell in front of the camera. She was in court, they take your ass in there in your orange jump suit with your ankles cuffed together - trust me, I know. This was a first appearance (arraignment). Most people don't have an attorney at this point. The reason he asked about her jewelry in regards to her assets is because you have to list your total assets on the form to procure a court appointed attorney, which she would have been doing at this hearing.

#24 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 38,666 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:35 PM

and i guarantee you'd have a different impression of her if she was dressed up standing in a court room next to a lawyer instead of in an orange jumpsuit on a cctv. She's 18 dude. busted for xanex... flipped a judge off. 30 days in jail? Jesus christ, she would've been better off if she'd beaten the poo out of someone... or maybe negligently killed someone with her car. She'd have to be busted 3 times driving drunk in Florida to be given an equivalent sentence... It's absurd.

I don't really care how she's dressed or whether she's with a lawyer.

What would have given me a better impresion of her would have been for her to not be acting like a drugged up nitwit to the judge that's deciding what to do with her.

#25 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 14,000 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:41 PM

She's not in a holding cell in front of the camera. She was in court, they take your ass in there in your orange jump suit with your ankles cuffed together - trust me, I know. This was a first appearance (arraignment). Most people don't have an attorney at this point. The reason he asked about her jewelry in regards to her assets is because you have to list your total assets on the form to procure a court appointed attorney, which she would have been doing at this hearing.

no she isn't... she's in jail. He's looking over at the side because she's on a monitor... Video arraignments are quite common and pretty standard in Florida.

#26 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,519 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:49 PM

For once....maybe ever. I agree with mmmBeans 100% in this thread.

She was acting like a stupid kid, b/c she is a stupid kid and while he was right to punish her for such an extra 5 grand (which he shouldn't be able to do) and a MONTH in jail was WAY over the top.

#27 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 38,666 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:55 PM

The thirty day sentence was what I found "harsh". I think five to ten days would have been enough.

That said, it's hard to have a whole lot of sympathy for her because she really did bring it on herself.

#28 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 14,000 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:57 PM

For once....maybe ever. I agree with mmmBeans 100% in this thread.

She was acting like a stupid kid, b/c she is a stupid kid and while he was right to punish her for such an extra 5 grand (which he shouldn't be able to do) and a MONTH in jail was WAY over the top.

trust me... once you get used to it, it'll start to feel good... just relax.

#29 Disinfranchised

Disinfranchised

Disinfranchised

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts
  • LocationStokeridge

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:59 PM

not for arraignment bud. And actually florida (where this is) doesn't provide them for first appearances...

if she had a lawyer... he/she would be there.

Sad as it is, she has a lawyer by now and is likely out on $1000 bond, now doing 30 days. Bud.

#30 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,624 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:26 PM

no she isn't... she's in jail. He's looking over at the side because she's on a monitor... Video arraignments are quite common and pretty standard in Florida.

Yeah, after watching the video, it looks like there's glass in front of her. I had assumed that the railing beside her was the courtroom front rail. I guess not.

Regardless, I don't agree with using Bond as a punitive measure - as to the contempt...well. You can't do that poo. I don't care if she is a retard 18 year old girl. You can't flick off and cuss at a Judge. It doesn't matter who you are, you're going to go to jail for that. 30 days in a standard contempt sentence, reason being that to be charged with contempt - in most cases- you've pissed off the Judge pretty well and they are going to give you the maximum penalty. Most Judges have a power trip and this is no different. If you've ever spent significant time in a court room you've seen the Judge attempt to play Dr. Phil from the stand - giving life advice and generally being condescending.

Point is, unfair or not, what she did would have landed ANYONE the same penalty - you just can't do that poo. If you want sympathy from the court, and most people do, you suck their dick, not insult them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com