Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Change in draft philosophy should be expected

38 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Marty Hurney Era- 2002-2012 (10 years), Round 1 - 3 in review.

2 WRs - (plus a QB utility player) 2nd, 3rd round

3 DEs - 1st , 2nd, 3rd

6 LBs - 1st, 1st, 1st, 3rd, 3rd, 3rd round

4 RBs - 1st, 1st, 2nd, 2nd round

10 years from now, that should be flipped IMO.

Posted · Report post

whether people in here think there's someone worth the pick or not, you should be expecting a WR to be picked up in the first couple rounds.

Posted · Report post

Gettleman is a "pick players that best fit your established system" drafter (the Steeler method) as opposed to a "take the best player and adapt around him" (the Patriot method) kind of guy.

Thus, the operative question becomes who helps most in the offensive and defensive systems we run.

Posted · Report post

Honestly I'd like to see Oline 1st, Oline 2nd, WR or DT 4th.

Posted · Report post

Honestly I'd like to see Oline 1st, Oline 2nd, WR or DT 4th.

I wouldn't mind a G in the 3rd. I think the 2nd will be a prime spot for a WR in this draft class.

Posted · Report post

Gettleman is a "pick players that best fit your established system" drafter (the Steeler method) as opposed to a "take the best player and adapt around him" (the Patriot method) kind of guy.

Thus, the operative question becomes who helps most in the offensive and defensive systems we run.

You have to wonder how much similarity there is between his system and Rivera's. It always seems like a weird marriage to me when you have a guy picking the players than may not have much in common with the guy using the players.

I'd like to see us go after the best available players for the O-line and secondary in the first few rounds.

Posted · Report post

I wouldn't mind a G in the 3rd. I think the 2nd will be a prime spot for a WR in this draft class.

are you expecting that we'll be trading for a 3rd?
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Marty Hurney Era- 2002-2012 (10 years), Round 1 - 3 in review.

2 WRs - (plus a QB utility player) 2nd, 3rd round

2 DEs - 1st and 2nd (neither are with the Panthers)

6 LBs - 1st, 1st, 1st, 3rd, 3rd, 3rd round

4 RBs - 1st, 1st, 2nd, 2nd round

10 years from now, that should be flipped IMO.

I don't have time to count right now but I think that this means that we spent 10 total picks on LB's and RB's in the last ten years out of a total of 25 or so 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks.

Posted · Report post

are you expecting that we'll be trading for a 3rd?

bah, I forgot we didn't have one. I still like WR in the 2nd.....either line in the first.

Posted · Report post

No DT??? What?

Posted · Report post

No DT??? What?

10 years

4 DTs, all 3rd rounders.

Posted · Report post

You have to wonder how much similarity there is between his system and Rivera's. It always seems like a weird marriage to me when you have a guy picking the players than may not have much in common with the guy using the players.

I'd like to see us go after the best available players for the O-line and secondary in the first few rounds.

Rivera will be the one who sets the system. Gettleman will work with him to get an idea of what he wants both system-wise and character-wise. Foe example, from prior drafts, we know Rivera likes guys who really love to play football, so guys with a rep for that get an extra look.

As far as the systems, based on what we have know (Coryell offense, Jim Johnson Zone Blitz defense) here's some things you can expect (some of which we have, some we don't):

QB: big armed passer

RB: combo of big bruiser and shifty elusive type runningbacks

WR: primarily deep threat guys but at least one possession guy

TE: sure handed, primarily a pass catcher but blocking skill is a plus

OL: big maulers

DT: stout guys who can push the pocket

DE: combination pass rushers (not just speed or strength)

MLB: sideline to sideline field general

OLB: one good pass rusher, one solid cover guy

S: rangy guys with good tackling skills

CB: solid cover corners

Now, take a look at that list. Tell me what we have and - more importantly - what we don't, and that's where your offseason focus will be.