Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Change in draft philosophy should be expected

38 posts in this topic

Posted

I don't have time to count right now but I think that this means that we spent 10 total picks on LB's and RB's in the last ten years out of a total of 25 or so 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks.

Running backs and Linebackers picked in the first three rounds:

2012: Luke Kuechly, LB, 1st Round.

Other Picks (Silatolu)

1/2

2011: None

Other Picks: Newton, McClain, Fua.

0/3

2010: None

Other Picks: Clausen, Lafell, Edwards

0/3

2009: None

Other Picks: Brown, Martin, Irvin

0/3

2008: Jonathan Stewart, RB, 1st round; Dan Connor, LB, 3rd round.

Other Picks: Otah, Goddfrey

2/4

2007: Jon Beason, LB, 1st round

Other Picks: Jarret, Kalil, Johnson

1/4

2006: Deangelo Williams, RB, 1st round; James Anderson, LB, 3rd round.

Other picks: Marshall, Butler

2/4

2005: Thomas Davis, LB, 1st round; Eric Shelton, RB, 2nd round.

Other Picks: Mathis, Ellison

2/4

2004: None

Other Picks: Gamble, Colbert, Wharton

0/3

2003: None

Other Picks: Gross, Nelson, Seidmann, Manning Jr.

0/4

2002: Deshaun Foster, RB, 2nd round; Will Witherspoon, LB, 3rd round

Other Picks: Peppers

2/3

So by my count he used a total of 10 (5 first rounders, 2 second rounders, and 3 third rounders) out of 37 total picks (10 First rounders, 11 second rounders, and 16 third rounders) on those positions.

it just sort of speaks to how he wanted his roster constructed. Apparently a running back combo was very important to him, and his early misses on Foster and Shelton made him feel like he had to draft Williams and Stewart. With the big surprise being half of his first rounders were directly spent on 2 runningbacks and 3 linebackers.

Posted

With the 14th pick, it's difficult to estimate who will be there... but if the DT from Missouri is there as many mock drafts predict, it would be hard to pass him up, he would be BPA and fit a big need (3-tech).

Posted

Good thread, by the way.

We have primary needs at CB, WR, OL, and DT. I think the second round is a great place to shop for all of these. I would not be opposed to giving up the first round altogether to trade down into the second round and taking 3 players and 1 in the third. For example, if Miami wanted to trade us #42, #55, and #77 for #i14, I think I would do it.

It seems everyone in the top 15 wants to drop, however.

If Gettlemen drafts for the system, as suggested by Mr. Scot, and I agree with him there, we need the following types of players:

A tall #1 WR (Patterson, Hunter, etc)

A large, press corner (Rhodes, Banks, etc)

An Undertackle who can stop the run and pressure the passer

A RG that is a bull dozer with some decent pass protection ability

A RT who can protect and run block.

A TE with run blocking ability

A TE with Hback, receiving abilty

A SS

A FS

A nickel CB

Another UT (depth)

A NT to compete with Kearse and Fua

Posted

I think it will be Cordarrelle Patterson.

He's a big speedy receiver with his best years ahead of him. Not only a dangerous receiver but an electrifying return man. He's a chill guy too.

2 people like this

Posted

Now, take a look at that list. Tell me what we have and - more importantly - what we don't, and that's where your offseason focus will be.

From this list, I think OL, WR, DT, and maybe CB are our biggest needs.

The next step is to decide what can be had (affordably) in free agency and the draft.

I think we might just draft WR and CB, finding a DT and OL in free agency. Of course, this is me guessing and not making a statement.

Posted

and for everyone that says WR is not a need, remember how many of the top/early WRs Rivera brought in last year for a visit. plus Gettleman comes from an organization the believes in getting WR weapons early and often. Nicks, Smith, Randle, Jernigan, Barden where all drafted in the top 3 rounds.

Posted

I really hope we pick up a third round pick. Stedman Bailey would fit in this system. Tavon Austin would be dynamic but I dont see us taking WR in the first. 2nd round will be when we grab one and there will still be quality ones there.

Posted

and for everyone that says WR is not a need, remember how many of the top/early WRs Rivera brought in last year for a visit. plus Gettleman comes from an organization the believes in getting WR weapons early and often. Nicks, Smith, Randle, Jernigan, Barden where all drafted in the top 3 rounds.

Pretty interesting point. I think Mario Manningham was a third rounder, if memory serves me right.

Posted

Pretty interesting point. I think Mario Manningham was a third rounder, if memory serves me right.

i knew it was one more but couldnt think of who it was. i look for them to address this spot early.

Posted

Theres no guarantee Rivera will be here next year, so not so sure about the system thing. Just draft players to build around Cam and Luke that would work in any coaches system.

Posted

Theres no guarantee Rivera will be here next year, so not so sure about the system thing. Just draft players to build around Cam and Luke that would work in any coaches system.

I see that, but I doubt they draft as if he is not going to be here--if that is the case, they should have just fired him.

Posted

I see that, but I doubt they draft as if he is not going to be here--if that is the case, they should have just fired him.