229 replies to this topic

#31 jtnc

jtnc

Resident Asshole

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,465 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:19 AM

Name a LT that isn't going to want comparable money to what Gross is already making?

#32 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,424 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:44 AM

We should probably just get both guys to restructure, as just straight out cutting them doesn't save us a tremendous amount of money. We'd just have to pay in free agency or use the draft for new starters.

this would be optimal.

we have enough weak spots/holes on the roster without creating more that we'd have to not just go through the hassle of trying to fill but pay for.

we're in deep enough doo doo as it is without piling on more.

#33 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,424 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:46 AM

Name a true starting caliber LT that isn't going to want comparable money to what Gross is already making?

ftfy.

there just isn't a glut of available talent out there at OT. even though this is going to be a buyers market for the most part doesn't mean that we'll find guys better or just as good as gross without paying out the ear.

#34 rscott94

rscott94

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:25 PM

If the Ravens were to release Boldin.. He's going to retire

Anquan Boldin told NBC's Erik Kuselias that he intends to retire if the Ravens release him this offseason.

"They will be his last team," passes along Kuselias. The Baltimore Sun reported late this week that the cap-strapped Ravens would prefer to sign Boldin to a contract extension, reducing his salary cap number. Currently, Boldin is owed a non-guaranteed salary of $6 million. Set to commit upwards of $20 million to Joe Flacco, GM Ozzie Newsome will have to get creative to keep Boldin.

#35 The_Cannon

The_Cannon

Tickle Me & Rub My Belly!

• HUDDLER
  • 3,308 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:30 PM

If the Ravens were to release Boldin.. He's going to retire

He's saying that now but no way does he retire at 32.

#36 rscott94

rscott94

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:32 PM

I can see him retiring for a couple years... Then realizing he made a huge mistake and comes back to the league

#37 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 39,908 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:13 PM

Wouldn't you if you could?

#38 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,724 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:18 AM

Wouldn't you if you could?

Exactly. He probably has ten million dollars tax free if not more in the bank and won't even have to work another day in his life if he manages his money at all. I can readily see where he figures he is ready to retire if he can't help Baltimore defend it's Super bowl title next year. After all he would be going out on top. In football what else is there for him to do?

#39 DaCityKats

DaCityKats

feed KB 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 8,601 posts
  • LocationDa City

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:07 AM

who wouldnt retire at 32? plus he could go into a different path but still be apart of football like coaching or the media aspect.

#40 magnus

magnus

Eternal Gameface

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:19 PM

going into coaching is definitely not retiring. It's four times the work for a quarter the pay.

As for Gross or Gamble? Yes, I'd definitely prefer both stay restructured with a year or two added. People make a massive deal about Gamble being almost 30 (Gross will be 33). Both have years left. You can't replace LT cheaply. You can replace CB cheaply, and get crap production. I guess that's OK for some but I'd rather be a legitimately good defense.

#41 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,724 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:40 PM

Part of the issue with keeping your own players is that until they are on the downside of their career, they are very costly in their prime. With only roughly 120 million in cap space each year, you can't sign guys like Newton and Hardy among others, to big and justified contracts, unless we get rid of aging vets who are getting paid as an elite athlete with skills that are very good but not elite. As we retain our own draft picks in second contracts and we pick up free agents, everything goes up but the cap stays flat. Something has to give, and that is often guys who we can replace with a high draft pick and then have a cheap replacement for the next 4 or 5 years. Saving us almost 8 or 9 million a year in the process. Both Gamble and Gross are very good players (some of our best) who need to be replaced if not this year, then soon. Unless they want to work for less. We can't pay them more than they are making now. Between the 2 of them, they account for almost 20 million in cap space which is 1/6 of the cap between 2 guys.

#42 L-TownCat

L-TownCat

Baptized In The Blood Of Saints

• ALL-PRO
  • 5,081 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:36 AM

Mr Scott, you can add the three Steelers offensive linemen that are likely to be cut, Starks, Colon, and Foster. I made a thread about it without thinking. It should go in here.

#43 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 39,908 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:56 PM

Mr Scott, you can add the three Steelers offensive linemen that are likely to be cut, Starks, Colon, and Foster. I made a thread about it without thinking. It should go in here.

Saw the thread, but I'm trying to hold off on these reports until they actually happen. That's why I removed the reference to the Jets being expected to cut Bart Scott, Calvin Pace and Jason Smith. While it's expected to happen, it hasn't happened yet.

I'd say post the speculation / prediction stuff within the thread for now.

#44 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 39,908 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:59 PM

Speaking of speculation - in this case, wild speculation - a guy with the Tampa Bay Times thinks the Bucs may not offer a contract to DT Roy Miller. he bases this on the fact that they've had no discussions with him so far this offseason.

That's one I can't imagine actually happening unless Miller and Schiano are at odds somehow. Be great for us if it were true, but it's a little hard to buy.

#45 chknwing

chknwing

• ALL-PRO
  • 7,022 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:59 PM

so when can we expect these cuts? whats the time frame?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com