229 replies to this topic

#41 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationAt the lake
HUDDLER

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:40 PM

Part of the issue with keeping your own players is that until they are on the downside of their career, they are very costly in their prime. With only roughly 120 million in cap space each year, you can't sign guys like Newton and Hardy among others, to big and justified contracts, unless we get rid of aging vets who are getting paid as an elite athlete with skills that are very good but not elite. As we retain our own draft picks in second contracts and we pick up free agents, everything goes up but the cap stays flat. Something has to give, and that is often guys who we can replace with a high draft pick and then have a cheap replacement for the next 4 or 5 years. Saving us almost 8 or 9 million a year in the process. Both Gamble and Gross are very good players (some of our best) who need to be replaced if not this year, then soon. Unless they want to work for less. We can't pay them more than they are making now. Between the 2 of them, they account for almost 20 million in cap space which is 1/6 of the cap between 2 guys.

#42 L-TownCat

L-TownCat

Baptized In The Blood Of Saints

SUPPORTER

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:36 AM

Mr Scott, you can add the three Steelers offensive linemen that are likely to be cut, Starks, Colon, and Foster. I made a thread about it without thinking. It should go in here.

#43 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• LocationSC
SUPPORTER

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:56 PM

Mr Scott, you can add the three Steelers offensive linemen that are likely to be cut, Starks, Colon, and Foster. I made a thread about it without thinking. It should go in here.

Saw the thread, but I'm trying to hold off on these reports until they actually happen. That's why I removed the reference to the Jets being expected to cut Bart Scott, Calvin Pace and Jason Smith. While it's expected to happen, it hasn't happened yet.

I'd say post the speculation / prediction stuff within the thread for now.

#44 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• LocationSC
SUPPORTER

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:59 PM

Speaking of speculation - in this case, wild speculation - a guy with the Tampa Bay Times thinks the Bucs may not offer a contract to DT Roy Miller. he bases this on the fact that they've had no discussions with him so far this offseason.

That's one I can't imagine actually happening unless Miller and Schiano are at odds somehow. Be great for us if it were true, but it's a little hard to buy.

#45 chknwing

chknwing

SUPPORTER

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:59 PM

so when can we expect these cuts? whats the time frame?

#46 L-TownCat

L-TownCat

Baptized In The Blood Of Saints

SUPPORTER

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:01 PM

Saw the thread, but I'm trying to hold off on these reports until they actually happen. That's why I removed the reference to the Jets being expected to cut Bart Scott, Calvin Pace and Jason Smith. While it's expected to happen, it hasn't happened yet.

I'd say post the speculation / prediction stuff within the thread for now.

Fair enough. The info is the important part, but these guys have to be cut before the league year starts right? Or they at least have to be designated as a June 1st cut?

#47 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• LocationSC
SUPPORTER

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:05 PM

Fair enough. The info is the important part, but these guys have to be cut before the league year starts right? Or they at least have to be designated as a June 1st cut?

The "when" affects the salary cap dependent on their contracts.

I find the whole "designated for June 1st" thing a little odd, but I understand why they do it.

#48 TylerVagyler

TylerVagyler

SUPPORTER

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:03 PM

Bills release George Wilson and Nick Barnett

#49 BeasonBeastingBacks

BeasonBeastingBacks

Farewell Sweet Prince

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:04 PM

Bills cut LB Nick Barnett and S George Wilson

Interesting tidbit on both players

@evansilva: @PFF had Nick Barnett as top-10 4-3 OLB in 2012.@PFF also had George Wilson as a top-8 safety. Both cut by #Bills.

#50 UNCrules2187

UNCrules2187

SUPPORTER

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:53 PM

Woudn't mind seeing George Wilson signed if we have the room, doubt it though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users