Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Panthers sign DT Colin Cole

80 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Cole was pretty good when he was healthy. Seattle signed him to 5yr 21million dollar deal back in the day. If healthy and in shape he's probably better than Kearse, Neblett, Chandler, and certainly Fua. Nice pick up.

Posted · Report post

why does this feel like hurney magic

Posted · Report post

Gettlemanagement.

Posted · Report post

I never understood why we drafted Fua in the first place, he never did anything that stuck out at Stanford. It was better options in that draft.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='The Golden Child' timestamp='1360390591' post='2129929']
Cole was pretty good when he was healthy. Seattle signed him to 5yr 21million dollar deal [size=5][b]back in the day.[/b][/size] If healthy and in shape he's probably better than Kearse, Neblett, Chandler, and certainly Fua. Nice pick up.
[/quote]Nothing to see here.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='beckersteen' timestamp='1360391580' post='2129932']
why does this feel like hurney magic
[/quote]

Because the guy is broken and old. Not sure that I understand bringing in a big DT that has been out of the league for a while with an ankle injury.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='The Golden Child' timestamp='1360389430' post='2129926']
I wonder if Gettleman signed Cole as a possible backup option to Frank Kearse or Sione Fua or as a replacement for Ron Edwards. If it's to replace Edwards, it says a lot of what our FA strategy will be this year.
[/quote]

My guess is it went like this. Gettleman sat down with a coke and the clicker to watch film of the DTs. He turned down the lights and hit Play. He saw Fua. He then said or thought something to the effect of "LOL Are you fugging kidding me? What the, I don't even! Da fug was Hurney thinking LOL!" He then looked at his history of notes and found the first free agent that weighed over 300 lbs, had a pulse, and played DT.

Posted · Report post

Gettleman has said himself that he prides himself on finding the "unknowns". Maybe that's what he's trying to do here.

If it somehow works out, he looks like a freaking genius. If it goes to hell, whatevs.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='jarhead' timestamp='1360410047' post='2129968']

Because the guy is broken and old. Not sure that I understand bringing in a big DT that has been out of the league for a while with an ankle injury.
[/quote]

No harm in kicking the tires. If he can't make the squad, no biggie. Not like he'll have a monster contract. If he does come in and is better than our current DTs..then, great!

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Mr. Scot' timestamp='1360346757' post='2129199']
One of those low risk "give him a shot" signings that occasionally pays off but costs you pretty much nothing if it doesn't.

Might see a fair share of these this offseason.
[/quote]

A Gettleman's wager so to speak
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Boltergeist' timestamp='1360435689' post='2130236']
A Gettleman's wager so to speak
[/quote]

:lol:

Posted · Report post

[quote name='The Golden Child' timestamp='1360389430' post='2129926']
I wonder if Gettleman signed Cole as a possible backup option to Frank Kearse or Sione Fua or as a replacement for Ron Edwards. If it's to replace Edwards, it says a lot of what our FA strategy will be this year.
[/quote]players like Cole are signed to add bodies to the team. Not with the expectation of him being a starter, but someone who can step in and be a part of the rotation.

I don't know why ya chose to try to read more into than that.