Photo
- - - - -

Is Our Fanbase Predisposed to "Fairweather-ism"?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#11 Disinfranchised

Disinfranchised

Disinfranchised

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationStokeridge
HUDDLER

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:52 PM

Want loyal fans? Give them Ws.

#12 beastson

beastson

Philly Cheese Steak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:53 PM

Thats why I made the thread I'm depressed. Come to a Ravens home game and Charlotte fans will be like whoa. This city fans and even the whole state of maryland besides those redskins fans powered them to win a SB. They stuck through the tough seasons and all, and that's how it should be. Its only been 4 years since our last playoff appearance but it feels like we've never been there

#13 Disinfranchised

Disinfranchised

Disinfranchised

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationStokeridge
HUDDLER

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:55 PM

You were not around in 2003? Then the bitchin was about the bandwagoners.

#14 SteveSmithOwns

SteveSmithOwns

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:58 PM

I think Charlotte and Raleigh are just very timid/lax cities. Take Philly for example, very blue collar and it has an "edge". Same for Pittsburgh. NYC has it as well. Take any Panthers game and half or more of the fans are parents, bankers, wear khakis, are elderly, etc. The fans aren't fairweather, IMO, they're just too quiet. I mean, you can kick someone out for being too loud. Other stadiums do this as well but it seems like other places don't enforce it as much as we do. It's almost an atmosphere. Bible Belt, southern hospitality, etc. Same thing with Braves games in ATL.

While I would agree with you for the most part, if you go to college football/basketball games for Duke, NC State or Carolina, they are not timid/lax. I just don't think the loytalty has been ingrained in the people around the Carolina's yet.

#15 cbarrier90

cbarrier90

HUDDLER

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:09 PM

It's a combination of:

A. Not being a consistent winner (and at times, downright mediocre.)

B. Since the team began playing in 1995, the fanbase is still in its first generation of people who grew up in the Carolinas with the Panthers.

Fix A, and you'll give the Redskins and Cowboys fans a reason to start supporting their "hometown" team (which, believe it or not, I think some may actually want to do right now, just haven't become consistent winners.)

Fix B, and you'll begin to see more fans stick around during the bad times because of the "hometown" loyalty.

Considering the market we are in and our recent (lack of) successes on the field, I'd say our fanbase in terms of size and loyalty is probably the NFL average, especially when you consider situations like Jacksonville.

It also doesn't help that BOA Stadium was built about 5-10000 seats too large to begin with, but that's another story.

#16 SCP

SCP

Crop Dusting Son of a Bitch

• LocationOn a Sales Call
HUDDLER

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:48 PM

I just think Charlotte is filled with a bunch of weak kneed bandwagon sell outs. Simple as that.

#17 Kevin Greene

Kevin Greene

I Don't Want To Get Off On A Rant Here But....

HUDDLER

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:55 PM

I just think Charlotte is filled with a bunch of weak kneed bandwagon sell outs. Simple as that.

It aint easy being a Panther fan the last half decade.

Even the greatest pooping salesman on the planet was talking dropping his PSLs at the end of this season iirc.

#18 Brooklyn Bully

Brooklyn Bully

Sell it, Jerry

HUDDLER

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:58 PM

While I would agree with you for the most part, if you go to college football/basketball games for Duke, NC State or Carolina, they are not timid/lax. I just don't think the loytalty has been ingrained in the people around the Carolina's yet.

Well yeah, college kids. Sell 70k tickets to that age group and the stadium will be loud as hell.

#19 SCP

SCP

Crop Dusting Son of a Bitch

• LocationOn a Sales Call
HUDDLER

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:03 AM

It aint easy being a Panther fan the last half decade.

Even the greatest pooping salesman on the planet was talking dropping his PSLs at the end of this season iirc.

I can't remember what the thread was about but I was threatening to just walk away. I'd never do it unfortunately. I did opt out of buying two additional PSLs this year because of my disgust.

#20 Chimera

Chimera

Not Bant

HUDDLER

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:21 AM

Well yeah, college kids. Sell 70k tickets to that age group and the stadium will be loud as hell.

No. That's the age group that shows up in other teams jerseys.
They're worried about their image. Gotta check the standings before they tell you their favorite team.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users