Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jarhead

Josh Norman feeling the heat

60 posts in this topic

Far from that. Just don't understand why the people who run this site and the top posters feel the need to talk poo and down those who's opinions they don't believe or if someone accidentally posts something that someone already has it's like committing a crime. But, I'm just wasting my time saying anything cause I'm not one of the "boys". But you can damn well bet if I smartassed the wrong person I'd be banned.

Not true. This site has been around since 2003. I lurked for a long time but didn't start posting until 2010. I'm one of the biggest smart asses on the boards at times and I'm still around. I've never been banned, or even had an infraction. Just don't be a pussy and argue your point of view without aggressively attacking someone on a personal level and you'll be fine.

Sounds like he's reacted to the benching the way you'd want him to.

While I don't think a move to safety makes sense, I disagree that he's already a lost cause. He has some skill, and potentially can be coached up to a solid player.

We'll see.

Hurney did some phenomenal GMing in acquiring Norman. From a Carolina school...same name as Lake Norman..ran a 4.6. It's like planets aligned when he was still available.

He's a rookie from a small school, and he's slow as fug. Damn, he's slow.

I personally am convinced he is one of the guys CJ was talking about that wasn't working hard...

He isn't fast but not knowing what is about to go down makes you even slower. I don't know tons about football as I am just a fan....but I knew the down and when opponents were going to run a slant on Norman. He seem to never understand what the opponent was doing.

I don't buy he was setup to fail as the other Josh was asked to play the same coverage as was captain....they just made opponents earn it

1 person likes this

I personally and convinced he is one of the guys CJ was talking about that wasn't working hard...

That's a real possibility.

A fair number of college players, especially small school guys, are used to being able to skate by on raw talent alone. But that won't cut it at the NFL level, and sometimes the really cocky ones (like Norman) need a big slap in the face to figure that out.

1 person likes this

How anyone can call Norman a lost cause at his point in the game is just shortsighted. There is really no justifiable basis for giving up on Norman this early. He is physical. He can tackle. He just may need a little more time to get adjusted to the speed of the game.

People have argued that his lack of speed is hurting him. and causing him to overcompensate to the detriment of his actual coverage skills. I just think he needs to be coached up to better understand general coverage, his responsibility, the amount of cushion he needs to give, and the angles that should be taken for his avenue of attack (if you get what the hell I'm saying).

I personally am convinced he is one of the guys CJ was talking about that wasn't working hard...

He isn't fast but not knowing what is about to go down makes you even slower. I don't know tons about football as I am just a fan....but I knew the down and when opponents were going to run a slant on Norman. He seem to never understand what the opponent was doing.

I don't buy he was setup to fail as the other Josh was asked to play the same coverage as was captain....they just made opponents earn it

I believe you hit the nail on the head! How do you go from starting CB to working with the scout team in a matter of one week?

Also doesn't help that he came in cocky when he hadn't earned the respect of his teammates.

How anyone can call Norman a lost cause at his point in the game is just shortsighted. There is really no justifiable basis for giving up on Norman this early. He is physical. He can tackle. He just may need a little more time to get adjusted to the speed of the game.

People have argued that his lack of speed is hurting him. and causing him to overcompensate to the detriment of his actual coverage skills. I just think he needs to be coached up to better understand general coverage, his responsibility, the amount of cushion he needs to give, and the angles that should be taken for his avenue of attack (if you get what the hell I'm saying).

All of our other CB's seem to be coached up well, hell, a absolute nobody in James Dockery came in and performed better than Norman, Josh Thomas too.

1 person likes this

All I meant is if he cannot play tight coverage on wr's getting off the line he may still have some value.

Yes, lets change his position after a 5th round rookie struggled in a starting role mid season. He is a lost cause.

I'd say that the response was appropriate. A rookie struggled and he suddenly has no value and cannot play tight coverage? It's as if you are assuming that he is incapable of learning how to play the position at the professional level and that a 5th round pick out of Coastal Carolina is worthless because he let his mouth get ahead of him.

It's knee-jerk reactions like that that make people roll their eyes. Perhaps if you had worded it in a way where you mentioned you'd like to see what he can do at a new position, that'd be different. But to try and justify the suggestion by claiming that he can never play CB is... silly to say the least.

All of our other CB's seem to be coached up well, hell, a absolute nobody in James Dockery came in and performed better than Norman, Josh Thomas too.

Point taken. I am still not ready to throw him out with the bath water. At the same time, I could see him getting axed before the regular season if his game doesn't rise to the level of where his mouth used to be (and probably still is, albeit with a bitten tongue).

Josh Norman came in thinking he was the ish. He then had a flashy camp, I don't want to say good camp, but he made some flashy plays, and then was handed a starting job due on a THIN secondary and acted like he was the best thing since individually wrapped cheese slices. .

I love Normans attitude and very much hope he succeeds. But between CJ calling him out (which I suspect he did), and Steve Smith calling him out (which he continues to do even on Instagram in sneaky ways), he needs to either take and use it for fuel to do better, or sit and sulk and be released on final cutdown day in August.

As a 5th round pick Norman is not assured anything but another chance to show what he can do. If he comes in commited, like it sounds like he is doing, he may just stick around. If he comes in thinking he has already made it, he could be in for a huge letdown.

A good TC and weak competition gave him an opportunity. It is up to him whether he puts in the work needed to take that opportunity back. He seems to have the tools, I really hope he can learn how to best utuiize them. Cuz I really like his attitude. If the play ever catches up, we are a better team for it.