• Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

#91 CPF4LIFE

CPF4LIFE

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 02:43 PM

Do you watch football? when was the last time we brought in/drafted a decent DB prospect???

Why yes i do.

Ken Lucas ring a bell (free agent)? Richard Marshall was good when he first got drafted (second round pick) he wasnt worth keeping was he? Sherrod Martin was drafted as a corner but he was a better safety so he got moved. Now he is FA who wont be resigned (second round pick). Not decent for you? That aint Gambles fault that Hurney never addressed the position right, is it Steve Smiths fault will still dont have a number 2 receiver?

#92 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 23,877 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 02:49 PM

LOL. And what does that say about those guys?? As many players that have played in our secondary, he has outlasted all of them because he is inconsistent??

We are a young franchise.....2-3 yrs in and guys can climb to the #2 spots in various statistical categories.

Gamble is decent....can be very very good. He was paid to be very very good. Did that one year. Inconsistent.

Peppers was inconsistent. He played at a higher level than Gamble. Just bc you can be great or good doesn't some how mean you can't be inconsistent.

When you lose a consistent and great player....it is very glaring. Beason for example in 2011. D has often been better when Gamble was out and he was replaced by a scrub

#93 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 23,877 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 02:52 PM

Do you watch football? when was the last time we brought in/drafted a decent DB prospect???

Captain and Marshall were both decent....problem was Carolina asked nickel CBs to be more. They aren't.

Ken Lucas was plenty solid for a bit

#94 CPF4LIFE

CPF4LIFE

• HUDDLER
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:01 PM

We are a young franchise.....2-3 yrs in and guys can climb to the #2 spots in various statistical categories.

Gamble is decent....can be very very good. He was paid to be very very good. Did that one year. Inconsistent.

Peppers was inconsistent. He played at a higher level than Gamble. Just bc you can be great or good doesn't some how mean you can't be inconsistent.

When you lose a consistent and great player....it is very glaring. Beason for example in 2011. D has often been better when Gamble was out and he was replaced by a scrub

If he only had one good year, what did he do his first couple years? What first round picks stick around this long that our only decent?

The D was better because the front seven was better. WE HAVE 2 OF THE BEST DEs in the league. Maybe 3 next year. The steelers have been consistently ranked in the top 5 of pass defense the last couple years and you really cant name anyone in their secondary outside of Polamalu. You can win with mediocrity in the secondary if you can get to the QB consistently, this is well known. Im not knocking it, i like our defense better like this. But Im not gonna discredit Gamble for being a great player tho. He would still be on the team if wasnt for cap issues.

#95 megadeth078

megadeth078

hate hate hate

• HUDDLER
  • 3,993 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:01 PM

"The way to fix the defensive backs and line is to get another linebacker." - Marty Hurney

Why are we expecting the same dealy? Everything's going to change and it starts with Gamble.

I'm so glad we're not doing anymore of that "bring back your core players" nonsense.

#96 CPF4LIFE

CPF4LIFE

• HUDDLER
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:05 PM

Captain and Marshall were both decent....problem was Carolina asked nickel CBs to be more. They aren't.

Ken Lucas was plenty solid for a bit

So you are saying there is a difference in the way Carolina uses nickel backs compared to the rest of the league? You would think we would have more success than other teams then. I thought they were premium for the passing league now a days anyway? I would like to know how. And Ken Lucas had one good season here (playoffs 2005) then he went downhill. Was paid a lot of MONEY.

#97 Gucci Mane

Gucci Mane

Trap God

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts
  • LocationKitchen

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:10 PM

Why yes i do.

Ken Lucas ring a bell (free agent)? Richard Marshall was good when he first got drafted (second round pick) he wasnt worth keeping was he? Sherrod Martin was drafted as a corner but he was a better safety so he got moved. Now he is FA who wont be resigned (second round pick). Not decent for you? That aint Gambles fault that Hurney never addressed the position right, is it Steve Smiths fault will still dont have a number 2 receiver?

what are you smoking? I was addressing your insinuation that gamble wasn't inconsistent. and then your evidence being that he has beaten out all of his competition we brought in... Richard marshall was a nick back, ken lucas was okay in seattle and poo a brick here. If steve smith was as much of a non factor as gamble, then i would say get rid of him but he still makes plays. and we have a perfectly fine #2, i think you meant next-#1.

#98 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

The Thread Killer (Since 2004)

• Moderators
  • 14,626 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:22 PM

That sucks. I'm not a fan of the move, but seeing how the backups held it together when he went down, I don't see how we could justify holding onto him unless he restructured.

#99 CPF4LIFE

CPF4LIFE

• HUDDLER
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:25 PM

what are you smoking? I was addressing your insinuation that gamble wasn't inconsistent. and then your evidence being that he has beaten out all of his competition we brought in... Richard marshall was a nick back, ken lucas was okay in seattle and poo a brick here. If steve smith was as much of a non factor as gamble, then i would say get rid of him but he still makes plays. and we have a perfectly fine #2, i think you meant next-#1.

You asked me what decent DB PROSPECTS were brought in since Gamble has been here. Did you not? 2 second round picks, and Ken Lucas was a top free agent that year, he left Seattle because they didnt want to pay him what he wanted. Look it up, or why would we give him that much money if he was garbage? Its hard for a CB to make plays when teams dont throw their way. Dont you think Richard Marshall was only a nickel back because he was never good enough to be a number 2? Who uses second round picks on players they think cant become starters? He got replaced by Captain, that tells you how good he was. We had Lucas and Marshall and they both sucked. Not on the team today but Gamble was still here till now, "inconsistent" and all.

#100 DaveThePanther2008

DaveThePanther2008

Superior Member

• HUDDLER
  • 3,047 posts
  • LocationMelfa

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:27 PM

I like Gamble. Best Cornerback we ever had.

BUT, our defense was pretty good last year without him so as much as it pains me, I agree with cutting him.

#101 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 23,877 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:53 PM

If he only had one good year, what did he do his first couple years? What first round picks stick around this long that our only decent?

The D was better because the front seven was better. WE HAVE 2 OF THE BEST DEs in the league. Maybe 3 next year. The steelers have been consistently ranked in the top 5 of pass defense the last couple years and you really cant name anyone in their secondary outside of Polamalu. You can win with mediocrity in the secondary if you can get to the QB consistently, this is well known. Im not knocking it, i like our defense better like this. But Im not gonna discredit Gamble for being a great player tho. He would still be on the team if wasnt for cap issues.

I said he only had one very very good year....which is what he was paid to be.

Gamble hasn't been great. He has had the best CB career in Carolina

#102 Razeyfingers

Razeyfingers

• HUDDLER
  • 3,264 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:18 PM

The reason our defense was ok was because we adjusted our game plan. If we get rid of Gamble, you are taking away our primary component to isolating a star receiver and shutting him down.

Im surprised that so many of you read past the strategy like this. "Oh well we were fine without him", yeah we were fine when we game planned without him a couple of times, but then again there were teams that exploited the poo out of it and thats what going to happen next year if we lose him. It will be a catastrophe in the secondary if he leaves. . . . . Bet that!

Good coaches will look at our D and go '. . soft spot. . . soft spot . soft spot. . . OH they have no corners who can cover and no safety to save them. Buh bye Panthers, a lttle run run play-action and boom goes the dynamite. '

You have to look at the causes and effects, not just the additions and subtractions of the equation. Good strategists adjust and use the tools they have, thats how battles are won. Without 2O, our strategy is going to press as much as you can with the front 7 and when that fails. . . we're fugged.

#103 Gucci Mane

Gucci Mane

Trap God

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts
  • LocationKitchen

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:19 PM

You asked me what decent DB PROSPECTS were brought in since Gamble has been here. Did you not? 2 second round picks, and Ken Lucas was a top free agent that year, he left Seattle because they didnt want to pay him what he wanted. Look it up, or why would we give him that much money if he was garbage? Its hard for a CB to make plays when teams dont throw their way. Dont you think Richard Marshall was only a nickel back because he was never good enough to be a number 2? Who uses second round picks on players they think cant become starters? He got replaced by Captain, that tells you how good he was. We had Lucas and Marshall and they both sucked. Not on the team today but Gamble was still here till now, "inconsistent" and all.

Im not saying gamble hasnt been our best CB, thats just not saying much... Just because we draft a guy in the 2nd round, doesn't mean they are already "decent NFL DB's". Yea, we hoped and planned them to be but the truth is, no one [prior to this year] has shown any real promise as a starting DB in the NFL. So for Gambe to be our best DB ever is like saying john kasay has been our best kicker.

#104 raleigh-panther

raleigh-panther

• HUDDLER
  • 2,185 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:46 PM

The reason our defense was ok was because we adjusted our game plan. If we get rid of Gamble, you are taking away our primary component to isolating a star receiver and shutting him down.

Im surprised that so many of you read past the strategy like this. "Oh well we were fine without him", yeah we were fine when we game planned without him a couple of times, but then again there were teams that exploited the poo out of it and thats what going to happen next year if we lose him. It will be a catastrophe in the secondary if he leaves. . . . . Bet that!

Good coaches will look at our D and go '. . soft spot. . . soft spot . soft spot. . . OH they have no corners who can cover and no safety to save them. Buh bye Panthers, a lttle run run play-action and boom goes the dynamite. '

You have to look at the causes and effects, not just the additions and subtractions of the equation. Good strategists adjust and use the tools they have, thats how battles are won. Without 2O, our strategy is going to press as much as you can with the front 7 and when that fails. . . we're fugged.

I don't necessarily disagree; but, I would just say, there are very good teams with very strong DLs (DEs and DTs) which do not have anything more than average cornerbacks.

QBs can't through if they are on their back.

#105 Boltergeist

Boltergeist

Unicorns! Show ponies! Where's the beef!?

• HUDDLER
  • 6,172 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:57 PM

He prob is going to sign with the Pats and be a pro bowler.

I think he'd be a good fit with Cason (provided he re-signs) in San Diego

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.