Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Espn insider:do not cut deangelo williams

72 posts in this topic

Posted

I don't think anyone would argue with keeping him if it was at the right price. But the sad truth is, he can probably get paid at least close to the salary he is getting now on a RB desperate team. Darkhorse team I see taking a run at him should he be cut....Atlanta.

Posted

It's not the amount, it's how the contract is set up. Option bonus, guranteed salary in late years of the deal. With his injury issues adding guranteed money in latter parts of the deal is stupid.

Posted

Well, I suppose in theory they could take over the responsibility if all sides agreed, but then we'd have no Stew and an aging D-Will. It's a gamble, but could work.

I don't know how Stew for 5-6 mil a year is such a horrible contract. There are backs of his caliber getting much more.

Other team cant take on the sb's and so forth just base salary.

Also as I said in my other post its how its setup. His deal is high. Paid as a top 10 rb. His deal is pretty bad.

http://m.nfl.com/news/0ap1000000051054/

Posted

We need OL no doubt, but we still need every play maker we can keep!

My main problem is that since the contract it take DeAngelo 6 games to get into shape it seems.. He breaks zero tackles, accelerates slowly but then is a different guy toward the end. I just think he is a guy who naturally lays back too much and tou have to get on him early to get him to focus..hopefully(if he is on the roster) he does that from the start in 2013.

If we can keep DWill, I say keep him. He is still a homerun threat. You keep homerun threats. The team with the most/best playmakers usually wins.

And I do believe you are underestimating DWill. That's okay, most folks do. He is fast so folks don't see the power. Not run you over power. The power to run through arm tackles. The power to run away from hand grabs. The power to run up the middle and still break one off.

You need playmakers and DWill is still a playmaker.

And if quality RBs are so easy to find? Why are so many teams needing them? Everyone wants two, but most are lucky to have one.

Posted

I thought this was going to be a well thought article explaining the financial difficulty of cutting Deangelo.

Not one reminding me that we give ourselves breathing room with a stupid argument for keeping him.

Posted

fix that oline and find a stud in the later rounds like morris.

rb aint worth that much.....its all about throwing the ball down field on offense and sacking the qb on defense.

Posted

I am all for keeping Deangelo another year if we can find a way to. Imo he is much more of a homerun threat than Stewart.

Deangelo has been more productive than Stewart since Rivera's arrival as well.

Heres combined rushing stats for both since 2011(Rivera's arriva).

Stewart

915 snaps

235 carries

1111 Yards

4.72 yards per carry

Longest run 32 yards

5 Rushing TD's

635 yards after contact

2 Fumbles

Williams

883 snaps

328 carries

1587 yards

4.83 yards per carry

Longest run 74 yards (he had at least a handful of others that beat Stewart's long of 32 as well)

12 rushing TD'S.

1017 yards after contact

Posted

Other team cant take on the sb's and so forth just base salary.

Also as I said in my other post its how its setup. His deal is high. Paid as a top 10 rb. His deal is pretty bad.

http://m.nfl.com/new...p1000000051054/

Thanks for the link, but even the writer seems to think that the contract is pretty good, all things considered.

Overall, $36.5 million with $23 million guaranteed is a good deal for a running back with just 13 career starts.

I guess it depends upon how you look at it. I believe in Stew, and I wholeheartedly believe that he can be a top 5 back in this league. That being said, he basically is on the lower end of the top 10 money, especially the guaranteed portion of the money with backs that are of his caliber. The fact that we got him at a relative value means that Williams' days are probably numbered (all things considered), unless he is willing to restructure. Moreover, it's time for Stew to start earning his paycheck, which will really prove that he is the beast at a bargain. You can't get a beast at basement prices, but we did about as good as we could, notwithstanding Williams' top 5 contract numbers.

Posted

I'd rather have Dlo than stewart. Stewart we could get decent value by trading due to his age and raw measurables. Tolbert could fill in as a makeshift stewart as well.

Posted

Cam is our best runner. We just need an adequate RB.

but do we want him to be our best runner is a separate question. I agree that I think Stew and Tolbert are more than adequate to handle the load, but as Cam career progresses I would like to see his running become more of a rarity than commonplace

Posted

I am all for keeping Deangelo another year if we can find a way to. Imo he is much more of a homerun threat than Stewart.

Deangelo has been more productive than Stewart since Rivera's arrival as well.

Heres combined rushing stats for both since 2011(Rivera's arriva).

Stewart

915 snaps

235 carries

1111 Yards

4.72 yards per carry

Longest run 32 yards

5 Rushing TD's

635 yards after contact

2 Fumbles

Williams

883 snaps

328 carries

1587 yards

4.83 yards per carry

Longest run 74 yards (he had at least a handful of others that beat Stewart's long of 32 as well)

12 rushing TD'S.

1017 yards after contact

This is just rushing yards, right? What about pass catching? You have to get the entire picture. But, even with the stats you presented, looking at Stew's age and contract, I'm taking Stew. I would love to keep Deangelo, but he would have to take a pay cut, and the money that some other needy team may be willing to pay him might be too good for him to pass up.

Posted

but do we want him to be our best runner is a separate question. I agree that I think Stew and Tolbert are more than adequate to handle the load, but as Cam career progresses I would like to see his running become more of a rarity than commonplace

Every time he was dinged up last year was in the pocket.