#16 Goondal

Goondal

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,005 posts
  • LocationHighlands Ranch, CO

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:34 AM

This is the type of stuff "Insiders" pay for? I could have told you all of that for free.

#17 CatMan72

CatMan72

KEEP POUNDING

• HUDDLER
  • 15,038 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:36 AM

Keep him and re-structure, but give him more than 7-8 carries a game.

I am concerned about how injury prone Stewart seems to be... even when he's not missing games he always seems to be nursing some sort of injury.

#18 TANTRIC-NINJA

TANTRIC-NINJA

The holy ghost of Mr. Miyagi

• HUDDLER
  • 5,951 posts
  • LocationColumbia, South Kacky

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:51 AM

...and tittays

Huddle is the big Winner!

#19 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 24,637 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:54 AM

DeAngelo was awesome against the worst D in NFL history....but that was about it.

We just need to invest in the OL. Not RBs.

#20 TANTRIC-NINJA

TANTRIC-NINJA

The holy ghost of Mr. Miyagi

• HUDDLER
  • 5,951 posts
  • LocationColumbia, South Kacky

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:01 AM

We need OL no doubt, but we still need every play maker we can keep!

My main problem is that since the contract it take DeAngelo 6 games to get into shape it seems.. He breaks zero tackles, accelerates slowly but then is a different guy toward the end. I just think he is a guy who naturally lays back too much and tou have to get on him early to get him to focus..hopefully(if he is on the roster) he does that from the start in 2013.

#21 top dawg

top dawg

The Creative Cat

• HUDDLER
  • 7,056 posts
  • LocationWITHIN MY MIND'S EYE

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:03 AM

So when you pay for ESPN Insider it has articles advising NFL executives about their rosters?! Interesting..

So its like the Huddle minus the frequency.

Well, it comes free with the subscription which is fairly cheap. The only thing that I don't like about the mag is the relatively small font size for these aging eyes (but that's most print media).LOL At least I can read Insider's crap easily by increasing the size with the "Ctrl" and "+" buttons. LOL

In regards to Deangelo, the Insider is missing the mark, insinuating that J-Stew and Tolbert, along with Armond Smith will not be effective. All of our RBs were not nearly as effective as they could be during the first half of the season because of play calling. Stew got hurt before the coaches remembered the running game still existed. I would love to keep D-Will if we could work it out, but Stew is younger and stronger, and arguably a better pass catcher. D-Will's gonna have to take a marked pay cut.

#22 Stroupe-a-loop

Stroupe-a-loop

Señor Member

• HUDDLER
  • 2,647 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:15 AM

We probably have about the same cap relief from a restructuring as we do cutting him outright. He's still a good player, and I think we should keep him and try to fix the O-line.

#23 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 10,712 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:19 AM

Love these conversations from the fanbase.

Same fan base who fell all over themselves slobbering about "double trouble". Same fan base that wants to sign every FA and every cut from other teams.

Same fan base that is only now realizing, like Hurney who was let go, what the rest of the league already knew. Big money RB's went out of style 5-10 yrs back. Course the panthers are $50 million and 5 years late to that realization.

At this point, picking out any RB who will lead us to the "promise land" only proves that you are still stuck in the Hurney mindset.

Business, it is a business. At this point, the business view would be that you are stuck with Williams. So, trade Stewart, let Dwill thing run its course and never get in this type of bind again.

Gettleman has the right idea. Big guys, QB's, WR's is where the money should be spent. If in a few years, the league changes a bunch of rules, it might dictate a different approach, but for now, I think he gets it, unlike the "double trouble" crowd here

#24 Stroupe-a-loop

Stroupe-a-loop

Señor Member

• HUDDLER
  • 2,647 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:25 AM

Business, it is a business. At this point, the business view would be that you are stuck with Williams. So, trade Stewart, let Dwill thing run its course and never get in this type of bind again.

Trading Stewart would give us negative cap room at this point. Probably not a good idea.

#25 top dawg

top dawg

The Creative Cat

• HUDDLER
  • 7,056 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:27 AM

No, from a business point, we should keep Stew. Don't get lost in the forest for the trees.

#26 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 10,712 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:28 AM

Trading Stewart would give us negative cap room at this point. Probably not a good idea.

Be more specific on the cap impications. This might be the thing the helps a club trade for him.

#27 Gucci Mane

Gucci Mane

Trap God

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,791 posts
  • LocationKitchen

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:35 AM

Gettleman has the right idea. Big guys, QB's, WR's is where the money should be spent. If in a few years, the league changes a bunch of rules, it might dictate a different approach, but for now, I think he gets it, unlike the "double trouble" crowd here

I agree with what you are saying but regardless of rules, you still need a good running game to open up the defense.

#28 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 10,712 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:38 AM

Yes, but you don't have to spend millions on RB's, they are plentiful and with the right Oline, can be very effective with guys in later rounds

#29 Stroupe-a-loop

Stroupe-a-loop

Señor Member

• HUDDLER
  • 2,647 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:41 AM

Be more specific on the cap impications. This might be the thing the helps a club trade for him.

What happens if a player is traded or retires?

Answer: We already know that if a player is waived on or before June 1, the remaining signing bonus that has not been included in salary “accelerates” and is included in that year’s team salary. Acceleration also occurs when a player is traded or waived and picked up by another team. The new team is not responsible for any of the original signing bonus. The team that waived or traded the player is responsible for the accelerated signing bonus (in the same manner as described above).

In most cases, if a player retires, the remaining signing bonus that has not been included in salary “accelerates” and is included in that year’s team salary. Thus, the team will take an immediate salary cap hit of the remaining signing bonus.

http://www.spotrac.c...nathan-stewart/

Stewart still has about 20 million guaranteed on his cap so the remaining balance of that would go against the cap. Which would be bad.

#30 top dawg

top dawg

The Creative Cat

• HUDDLER
  • 7,056 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:54 AM

I am no cap genius by a long stretch of the imagination, but Stew's contract offers more value in that he is only guaranteed 23 mil over 5 years, with another 6 mil or so in bonuses depending on his production (all-purpose yards). Cutting Stew now would create a little more dead cap money (that must be paid) than D-Will's contract. Stew is the younger, stronger and faster back whose time is now, and when it comes time to resign him in five years, we can sign him to a reasonable contract in fitting with that time, or we let him go.

Someone who knows this stuff better, feel free to chime in.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com