#16 CatofWar

CatofWar

Join, or Die

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,383 posts
  • LocationGitmo

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:39 PM

I think the only country you have to worry about that has nukes is the only one that used them on a civilian population.

#17 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• ALL-PRO
  • 17,231 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:46 PM

Everyone says they're not worried about NK, but NK may just get so desperate they do something really, really stupid that starts an out-of-control situation.

Very little chance buscuit. We really have nothing to worry about from a nuclear or traditional conflict with NK. They would have to have the technology of a superpower to figure out how to sneak a nuke anywhere near our borders.

What you might worry about is technological terrorism and espionage. Like disable major parts of our power grid for an extended period of time using viruses or actual targeted individual attacks.

Or whatever.

#18 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• ALL-PRO
  • 17,231 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:46 PM

I think the only country you have to worry about that has nukes is the only one that used them on a civilian population.

the only reason we did that is because we got there first.

#19 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 32,967 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:04 PM

Very little chance buscuit. We really have nothing to worry about from a nuclear or traditional conflict with NK. They would have to have the technology of a superpower to figure out how to sneak a nuke anywhere near our borders.

What you might worry about is technological terrorism and espionage. Like disable major parts of our power grid for an extended period of time using viruses or actual targeted individual attacks.

Or whatever.

I'm not concerned at all about them attacking us... I was thinking more about Japan or SK.

Sneak a nuke out on a boat or something...

#20 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 16,637 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:08 PM

Or whatever.

If they go completely off their rocker, there are things to worry about. Nuking our bases in SK, or putting a nuke in a old sub and exploding it under a Carrier fleet. Or putting one in a cargo ship and exploding it in the Straits of Hormuz.. There are several terrible scenarios that could be imagined, if they decide to risk annihilation.

I remember reading a book several years ago in which the Russians initiated a strike on the US by exploding three nukes a few miles off the West coast. Caused a mile high radioactive tsunami to slam into California. I don't know if that would actually happen or if NK could pull something like that off, but they think outside the box, they could think of ways to hurt us. Of course, in response they would cease to exist. Which is why I don't think it will happen. They are nuts, but probably not that nuts.

#21 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• ALL-PRO
  • 17,231 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:29 PM

I'm not concerned at all about them attacking us... I was thinking more about Japan or SK.

Sneak a nuke out on a boat or something...

If they go completely off their rocker, there are things to worry about. Nuking our bases in SK, or putting a nuke in a old sub and exploding it under a Carrier fleet. Or putting one in a cargo ship and exploding it in the Straits of Hormuz.. There are several terrible scenarios that could be imagined, if they decide to risk annihilation.

Guerrilla warfare tactics for sure. But what is that going to be?

They can't sneak anything remotely near one of our carrier groups and our technology is going to stop them lobbing any nukes to Japan or anywhere near SK. Plus I imagine Japan spends half of it's defense bandwidth on how to keep NK in check.

If you throw a small nuke in the middle of the ocean it isn't going to do much of anything in any case.

As far as smuggling a nuke into America or Japan or something? That would initiate the end game in about 45 minutes. NK isn't Al Qaeda who can bob and weave in the mountains of Afghanistan. It's a recognized sovereign nation whose capital I can find on GPS.

NK wants to kick our ass but nukes are more of a political maneuver than anything.

China and Russia are our de facto allies anyway if they do something stupid.

JMO ;)

#22 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 16,637 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:01 PM

Don't get me wrong, I definitely agree with you. I don't think they would attempt anything, and if they did, I doubt they would be successful. I was just thinking about various scenarios discussed.

My only real fear with NK is that we don't really know what they are thinking. They are paranoid about us and South Korea. IMO, the only way they would use a nuke first is if they felt we were getting ready to invade. We are not going to invade, but we have to ensure that they know that.

#23 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• ALL-PRO
  • 17,231 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:34 PM

Don't get me wrong, I definitely agree with you. I don't think they would attempt anything, and if they did, I doubt they would be successful. I was just thinking about various scenarios discussed.

My only real fear with NK is that we don't really know what they are thinking. They are paranoid about us and South Korea. IMO, the only way they would use a nuke first is if they felt we were getting ready to invade. We are not going to invade, but we have to ensure that they know that.

Same page.

One analogy is this:

NK and Cuba are the same size and similarly isolated and similarly communist. And NK has 2 superpowers in it's backyard not just one.

NK has no missile crisis backer.

I doubt NK will be more than a sensationalist headline within my lifetime. Same with Iran.

#24 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• ALL-PRO
  • 17,231 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:30 PM

"As the saying goes, a new-born puppy knows no fear of a tiger. South Korea's erratic behavior would only herald its final destruction," North Korean diplomat Jon Yong Ryong told the meeting.

Jon's comments drew quick criticism from other nations, including South Korea, France, Germany and Britain, whose ambassador Joanne Adamson said such language was "completely inappropriate" and the discussion with North Korea was heading in the wrong direction.

"It cannot be allowed that we have expressions which refer to the possible destruction of U.N. member states," she said.

Spanish Ambassador Javier Gil Catalina said the comment left him stupefied and appeared to be a breach of international law.

"In the 30 years of my career I've never heard anything like it and it seems to me that we are not speaking about something that is even admissible, we are speaking about a threat of the use of force that is prohibited by Article 2.4 of the United Nations charter," Catalina said.

http://www.reuters.c...E91I0J520130219

#25 carpantherfan84

carpantherfan84

Abductive Reasoner

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:42 PM

I was in SK for 3 years and I just left 8 months ago. I personally do not feel that NK is a legitimate threat to invade or make war. China usually is the moderator in any dispute and will undoubtedly make a public statement of disapproval of this action. If that doesn't happen maybe there would be a concern but not a major one. Basically NK has the food resources to feed its army for a war measured in days not years. They are truly a starving society with thousands dieing every day. There biggest source of imported food is...you guessed it...SK. And China is not known for providing aid and only entered the war in the first place IOT to prevent the US from gaining influence that close to its borders. They are actually on the verge of reintegration but it was put on hold when Kim Jong Il died. The son is not well respected by the military is a risk of assasination by his own people.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com