Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thinking about getting a puppy

57 posts in this topic

Posted

http://www.gsdrescue.org/

is it a german shepherd thing to be weird around kids??

i would say that an improperly socialized and trained german shepherd is one of the most dangerous animals you can own. they have to be trained, and respond very well to training. they have to be part of the family, and if you tie one up on a chain and leave it alone in the back yard it will not do well mentally or emotionally.

some german shepherds can learn a behavior or trick in as few as 5 repetitions, but it can take 90 or more repetitions to break a bad habit

a properly socialized and trained GSD is one of the best dogs in the world

Posted

If I could do that, I would have no reason to ever leave the house.

maybe if you pet him once in awhile he'd let you

Posted

With a rescue..you never know what they've been thru before they get to you.

My dog is a rescue (lab/boxer mix). I got her as a puppy for this reason. Found her on petfinder.com you can search by breed, age, and mileage from your zip. Should be able to find something there.

Posted

There's never any love on here for giant dogs. Great Danes are the best dogs ever. Sweet, gentle, smart, snuggly, loving, and great watch dogs. I'd have a herd of them if we could afford it.

www.magdrl.org/

www.greatdanerescue.org/

Posted

There's never any love on here for giant dogs. Great Danes are the best dogs ever. Sweet, gentle, smart, snuggly, loving, and great watch dogs. I'd have a herd of them if we could afford it.

www.magdrl.org/

www.greatdanerescue.org/

they are sweet dogs..

I think Great Danes are the new trend in dogs right now..I see them everywhere!!!...Pit bills are sooooo 2010 :)

Posted

They're still a rarity around here. I never see any in petsmart. When we got Henry, out of 3 practices, none had treated a dane puppy.

Posted

Not trying to piss anyone off here, but I too purchase from a breeder.

Nothing wrong with pound puppies, I just have certain desires in my dog, and prefer to know that I have a better shot at getting those few things if I buy.

My next one will either be another English, or a non shedding, something like a labradoodle. Either way I will inspect the breeders like crazy and play with both the mother and father before leaving a deposit.

Posted

I have a GSD, she's a great one. Just be prepared for shedding, and a ton of it. She's not even long haired and it's terrible, but worth it. So smart, they learn without you even training, they just pick up on it. There is nothing wrong with a pound pup, but I've had 2 pure-bred GSD's in my life and if something works, you don't change it up.

Posted

My fiancé and I decided to get 2 dogs. Purebred German Shepherd puppy and we also decide to adopt another dog. We came by animal shelter and we saw this very sweet german shepherd mix by name Connor. He was very laid back so we asked one of the volunteers if we can interact with him. When they brought Connor to us, he pee'd on the floor the second he saw us. When I tried to pat him, he pee'd on the floor again. He also is not good with other dogs so we had to say no to Connor. We will go back to Shelter this week.

Posted

I have a GSD, she's a great one. Just be prepared for shedding, and a ton of it. She's not even long haired and it's terrible, but worth it. So smart, they learn without you even training, they just pick up on it. There is nothing wrong with a pound pup, but I've had 2 pure-bred GSD's in my life and if something works, you don't change it up.

my lord..the 4 cats I have combined do not shed as much as my GSD mix..she's totally worth it though..I just have to sweep more :)

Posted

Hello....my name is Indy and I'm a 10 month old golden shepherd....and I just started shedding. :(

post-57-0-68202100-1361203410_thumb.jpg

Posted

Hello....my name is Indy and I'm a 10 month old golden shepherd....and I just started shedding. :(

awww he's so cute!