99 replies to this topic

#91 Jase

Jase

Kuechold Fantasies

• Administrators
  • 16,862 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:03 PM

that depends on your view of deviancy within the structure of society and what the symbiosis between socialized normatives, deviant behavior, and legislated cohesion is

An open letter to my dearest sweet PhillyB:

I'm quoting this because this is a pattern I've noticed about you for a while now, PhillyB.

There was a day when I used as many big words per sentence as I could in order to put up a facade of intellectual superiority in an argument. This typically would intimidate most people from arguing with me because they didn't want to bother with reading what I said twice or look up a term or two. This made me feel good about myself, but my arguments were usually sh*t.

Then I learned that it is easier to be respected when you put down the mental thesaurus and communicate your thoughts in the most efficient way possible. This also forces you to have a reasonable argument and be accountable to those you are having the discussion with.

Not saying you do this phillyB, or even that this happens on purpose. Just an observation that most people have to read a multitude of your serious-minded posts at least twice to decode what you post in the tinderbox because of your overuse of obscure and sometimes vague terms.

For example "socialized normatives" and "legislated cohesion" are exclusively academic terms that someone who hasn't taken a sophomore-level sociology class has probably never heard of. Mentioning these terms that are foreign to 98% of your readers without any supporting explanation is sure to garner a confused response. My guess is that you inserted it just so you could talk down to YML and therefore, look superior to him while avoiding a sincere discussion.

Like I said, I've been guilty of this type of thing in the past, and this is the only reason I am pointing it out now.

I hope you don't think me an assh*le. Cheers.

#92 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 23,756 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:09 PM

Sip stealing sob

#93 PhillyB

PhillyB

that jungle football

• ALL-PRO
  • 19,724 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:39 PM

An open letter to my dearest sweet PhillyB:

I'm quoting this because this is a pattern I've noticed about you for a while now, PhillyB.

There was a day when I used as many big words per sentence as I could in order to put up a facade of intellectual superiority in an argument. This typically would intimidate most people from arguing with me because they didn't want to bother with reading what I said twice or look up a term or two. This made me feel good about myself, but my arguments were usually sh*t.

Then I learned that it is easier to be respected when you put down the mental thesaurus and communicate your thoughts in the most efficient way possible. This also forces you to have a reasonable argument and be accountable to those you are having the discussion with.

Not saying you do this phillyB, or even that this happens on purpose. Just an observation that most people have to read a multitude of your serious-minded posts at least twice to decode what you post in the tinderbox because of your overuse of obscure and sometimes vague terms.

For example "socialized normatives" and "legislated cohesion" are exclusively academic terms that someone who hasn't taken a sophomore-level sociology class has probably never heard of. Mentioning these terms that are foreign to 98% of your readers without any supporting explanation is sure to garner a confused response. My guess is that you inserted it just so you could talk down to YML and therefore, look superior to him while avoiding a sincere discussion.

Like I said, I've been guilty of this type of thing in the past, and this is the only reason I am pointing it out now.

I hope you don't think me an assh*le. Cheers.

hmmmm... in honesty i don't use massive obscure words in general discourse speech, but sometimes these words are the best possible one to articulate make clear what it is i'm trying to say. complex issues require specialized, complex language to dissect and understand. what annoys me is when someone who doesn't understand that these issues are complex by nature comes in as the loudest voice in the argument and then gets offended when someone uses them fancypants liberal internet words to try to shed light on an otherwise obfuscating hard issue.

thanks for bringing it to my attention though... i will attempt to be more conscientous about it. i appreciate your honesty.

#94 Jase

Jase

Kuechold Fantasies

• Administrators
  • 16,862 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:05 PM

Don't get me wrong, I don't want you to simplify you posts, in fact at the heart of what I'm saying is that I'd like to see you elaborate more and dangle sociology terms less.

For example I can infer some of the consequences of socialized normatives and legislated cohesion, but I'd think it would serve your points better to explain their relation yourself.

#95 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,629 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:40 PM

Jase, you could have just said, quit using all them high falutin words.

;)

#96 YourMomsLover

YourMomsLover

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,871 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:57 PM

Is "eating a juicy lucy burger" what they call going down on a fat girl in Asheville?

Nah just going down on your fat ass girlfriend.

#97 GOOGLE RON PAUL

GOOGLE RON PAUL

fleet-footed poster

• HUDDLER
  • 4,107 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:15 AM

Hey Rainman... as I've said before, just because you continually repeat something (and now have your little follower repeating it too) doesn't magically make it true...

I'm done with your silliness... I already wiped your face on the floor in the other "topless" thread about this rape issue you keep harping on... so go back and read that again... then go outside and enjoy the nice weather today, you need it.

lol no you actually came across as a massive creep

hey surprise! the guy whose entire internet persona (and likely a very significant portion of his irl demeanor) is founded upon how much he lieks tities has shitty opinions about things like women's rights and rape. i'll be damned, what a shock

#98 GOOGLE RON PAUL

GOOGLE RON PAUL

fleet-footed poster

• HUDDLER
  • 4,107 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:18 AM

btw calling me rainman sure seems like a personal attack. surely this won't be another in a long line of attacks ignored by your man friend kurb, will it?

#99 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 32,952 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:00 AM

lol no you actually came across as a massive creep

I love you too Cantrell. :wub:

#100 broseidon

broseidon