• Please log in to reply
182 replies to this topic

#136 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,390 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:16 PM

so if there's not an aj green or megatron (both of which come along all the time, right?) then we don't take a WR in the first?

#137 jungleking

jungleking

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:33 PM

Did he tear his ACL on being hit or a freak accident? But the fact coming off a ACL he was able to run the same speed as K Allen and produce 73 rec. 1083 yards and 10 td. IMO that is a freak athlete.

I call it versatility to. But he will be ask to run more routes and catch more balls then to run reverse plays and take hand offs. So I'd rather get the guy who can do that better.

There's about three hundred yards difference receiving between Hunter and Patterson, during a season in which Patterson was asked to run the ball and return kicks/punts. If he's not exhausted from doing everything else, couldn't Patterson have been just as productive a receiver as Hunter?

And I wouldn't worry about him getting caught by too many defensive linemen. He's a 6'3" track athlete. He shouldn't be thrown the ball until he's 30 yards downfield.

Bottom line: Patterson played some of the most dangerous positions in the game without getting hurt. It makes no sense to say that he's going to get hurt doing everything else, and then turn around and say that he's only going to be asked to receive.

#138 rayzor

rayzor

• Moderators
  • -29,390 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:47 PM

penalizing patterson for not being a "pure receiver" is like criticizing cam for not being a "pure passer".

he was used in a variety of ways because he could be used in a variety of ways. that to me is a huge draw if anything. he's got more ways that he can make plays than just about any player in this draft.

not sure why we wouldn't want another multi-faceted weapon.

#139 koolkatluke

koolkatluke

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,847 posts
  • LocationNonya

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:19 AM

There's about three hundred yards difference receiving between Hunter and Patterson, during a season in which Patterson was asked to run the ball and return kicks/punts. If he's not exhausted from doing everything else, couldn't Patterson have been just as productive a receiver as Hunter?

And I wouldn't worry about him getting caught by too many defensive linemen. He's a 6'3" track athlete. He shouldn't be thrown the ball until he's 30 yards downfield.

Bottom line: Patterson played some of the most dangerous positions in the game without getting hurt. It makes no sense to say that he's going to get hurt doing everything else, and then turn around and say that he's only going to be asked to receive.

Wow Jungle that's a real basis scenario you came up with. Because you like Patterson so much you have created a excuse for him not having Hunter production. How about this Hunter is the better WR. Patterson isn't great at running routes and hands are suspect but he is such a great athlete they figure out ways to get him the ball. Returns Hand offs in the wildcat and reverses. Could that be a more plausible scenario?

2. Sometimes you can't wait until he gets 30 yards down the field and it's not a sure thing he will catch it.

3. I'd never said he would get hurt but all the stuff he does on the field will make it a likely hood if done to much.

#140 koolkatluke

koolkatluke

• HUDDLER
  • 7,847 posts
  • LocationNonya

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:22 AM

penalizing patterson for not being a "pure receiver" is like criticizing cam for not being a "pure passer".

he was used in a variety of ways because he could be used in a variety of ways. that to me is a huge draw if anything. he's got more ways that he can make plays than just about any player in this draft.

not sure why we wouldn't want another multi-faceted weapon.

Cam and Patterson analogy again.

#141 rayzor

rayzor

• Moderators
  • -29,390 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:24 AM

so? playmakers. game changers.multi-faceted/dimensional. several ways to abuse the other team and score touchdowns. brings more to the table. you make it sound like a bad thing.

#142 jungleking

jungleking

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:31 AM

Wow Jungle that's a real basis scenario you came up with. Because you like Patterson so much you have created a excuse for him not having Hunter production. How about this Hunter is the better WR. Patterson isn't great at running routes and hands are suspect but he is such a great athlete they figure out ways to get him the ball. Returns Hand offs in the wildcat and reverses. Could that be a more plausible scenario?

2. Sometimes you can't wait until he gets 30 yards down the field and it's not a sure thing he will catch it.

3. I'd never said he would get hurt but all the stuff he does on the field will make it a likely hood if done to much.

Where are you seeing this crap about his hands? The only thing I've ever read that mentions his hands is from CBSSports: "He is a natural hands-catcher, but will have some concentration lapses..." That's literally it. Not even close to 'suspect' or being the 'body-catcher' that you've called him.

Your boy Hunter, though? "Hunter lacks natural hands to corral fastballs and is too inconsistent catching the ball with a lot of body catches and double catches. He needs to secure grabs and doesn't always look the ball into his hands or locate, battling streaky hand/eye coordination." Also, Hunter only had two touchdowns against SEC teams. Not a problem for Patterson--if he has trouble getting going on offense, he can find a way to contribute. But if Hunter's issues continue in the NFL, he's a bust.

As for the injury thing, I trust the coaches not to destroy him.

#143 IamSoClutch

IamSoClutch

CaptainCam

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,863 posts
  • LocationKinston, NC

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:35 AM

so? playmakers. game changers.multi-faceted/dimensional. several ways to abuse the other team and score touchdowns. brings more to the table. you make it sound like a bad thing.

especially when route running can be taught and practiced. he will be on another level than hunter when he adds route running to his arsenal and its actually not as bad as they claim

#144 carolinashawn

carolinashawn

Pure Awesomeness

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:13 AM

Bottom Line: We will be reaching on anyone in this draft. With only a few worthy picks in this weak draft, if Patterson is still on the board at 14 we have to take him just for the fact of his upside!

#145 rayzor

rayzor

• Moderators
  • -29,390 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:20 AM

especially when route running can be taught and practiced. he will be on another level than hunter when he adds route running to his arsenal and its actually not as bad as they claim

the thing is his route running is pretty good now as it is. he's not nearly as bad or as raw as "they" claim, not that the number of "them" is very big now.

and with keenan allen not working out at the combine, i doubt it's very long before patterson is considered pretty much the consensus top WR. lots of people are paying more attention to his tape now than before and are noticing how good a receiver he really is.

but any receiver coming out of college is going to have a lot of room for growth...just like any player. no one is "ready" for the NFL. the good thing is we have one of the best route runners for his time as WR coach. hard to think of a better teacher for any receiver than proehl.

#146 IamSoClutch

IamSoClutch

CaptainCam

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,863 posts
  • LocationKinston, NC

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:31 AM

the thing is his route running is pretty good now as it is. he's not nearly as bad or as raw as "they" claim, not that the number of "them" is very big now.

and with keenan allen not working out at the combine, i doubt it's very long before patterson is considered pretty much the consensus top WR. lots of people are paying more attention to his tape now than before and are noticing how good a receiver he really is.

but any receiver coming out of college is going to have a lot of room for growth...just like any player. no one is "ready" for the NFL. the good thing is we have one of the best route runners for his time as WR coach. hard to think of a better teacher for any receiver than proehl.

i completely agree ive been saying proehl was a reason not worry for awhile. him and smitty will have his routes down in no time

#147 koolkatluke

koolkatluke

• HUDDLER
  • 7,847 posts
  • LocationNonya

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:54 AM

I just want him to be great in the thing we drafted him for all the other poo I could care less about. We got enough guys who can take hand offs.

#148 koolkatluke

koolkatluke

• HUDDLER
  • 7,847 posts
  • LocationNonya

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:05 AM

Where are you seeing this crap about his hands? The only thing I've ever read that mentions his hands is from CBSSports: "He is a natural hands-catcher, but will have some concentration lapses..." That's literally it. Not even close to 'suspect' or being the 'body-catcher' that you've called him.

Your boy Hunter, though? "Hunter lacks natural hands to corral fastballs and is too inconsistent catching the ball with a lot of body catches and double catches. He needs to secure grabs and doesn't always look the ball into his hands or locate, battling streaky hand/eye coordination." Also, Hunter only had two touchdowns against SEC teams. Not a problem for Patterson--if he has trouble getting going on offense, he can find a way to contribute. But if Hunter's issues continue in the NFL, he's a bust.

As for the injury thing, I trust the coaches not to destroy him.

My eyes I don't need my daddy's Mike Mayock or Mel Kiper to tell me about a prospect.
I can look at film and know what I'm looking for. Maybe you should try that out yourself instead of listening to what Silva tells you he see.

Plain and Simple I see more separation when running routes from Hunter. I see more routes from Hunter. I see more jump ball catches and little effort spent catching the ball while moving in Hunter. I've seen to many times where Patterson is letting the ball hit his chest (which can be fixed) and not getting a lot of separation on slants and comeback routes (which can be fixed as well). But why not get the guy who can do it now?

#149 rayzor

rayzor

• Moderators
  • -29,390 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:28 AM

I just want him to be great in the thing we drafted him for all the other poo I could care less about. We got enough guys who can take hand offs.

all the other poo combined with his obvious skills as a receiver would be the reason we or anyone draft him. you draft the total package...receiver, returner, rusher....all of which he is a real threat at doing. instead of a guy that all he does is catch the ball and do well at it, you draft a guy who does several things well. sorry, but even if hunter is a better receiver (which is debatable, although i agree that the more experienced and better coached hunter is more polished atm) he's not good enough to make up for the total production that patterson can provide nor is his ceiling as high as patterson's.

he's a playmaker. he's a guy that can bring production in a multitude of ways. not sure why thats a problem unless you just like for people to stay in small boxes....you know, where all RBs do is run the ball, all QB's do is throw the ball, and all WR's do is catch the ball.

#150 koolkatluke

koolkatluke

• HUDDLER
  • 7,847 posts
  • LocationNonya

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:25 PM

all the other poo combined with his obvious skills as a receiver would be the reason we or anyone draft him. you draft the total package...receiver, returner, rusher....all of which he is a real threat at doing. instead of a guy that all he does is catch the ball and do well at it, you draft a guy who does several things well. sorry, but even if hunter is a better receiver (which is debatable, although i agree that the more experienced and better coached hunter is more polished atm) he's not good enough to make up for the total production that patterson can provide nor is his ceiling as high as patterson's.

he's a playmaker. he's a guy that can bring production in a multitude of ways. not sure why thats a problem unless you just like for people to stay in small boxes....you know, where all RBs do is run the ball, all QB's do is throw the ball, and all WR's do is catch the ball.

Hey if you want to add another player to run a lot of Gimmick plays and add more trickery to a offense that already has to much of it and need to get back to the basic anyway. Then that's your opinion. And being realistic the better he gets at being a WR the less he will be doing that stuff anyway.

But from what I've heard all off season is you and other wanted to add another weapon in the passing game. You have been screaming about wanting a Deep Threat who can take the top off of the defense and allow 89 to move to the slot. Well Justin Hunter is 6'4 runs a 4.48 coming off of a ACL injury and not being at full speed and can make the exceptional jump ball catch down field. He instantly (from day one) can compete to be your deep ball and Red zone threat because of his size and speed. He from day one is a mismatch for smaller CB. He is polished like you said so he isn't spending the Mini Camp and TC learning how to run routes. IMO I see more instant impact from Hunter then I see in Patterson. Again I'm not saying Patterson won't have a impact. I just see Hunter as a different WR that we don't have on the roster. We have WR and RB that can run a wildcat and Reverses. We still have Adams and Pilaris who can run all the gimmick plays we just didn't use them. We don't have a 6'4 wr with speed that can run routes like Hunter can.

Again this is just my opinion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com