Really can't understand why somebody would want to live at a vacation spot

#47 Squirrel

Squirrel

Drink a beer and relax

• ALL-PRO
  • 12,523 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:09 AM

Oh that is easy. New female tourist every week!

#48 PhillyB

PhillyB

that jungle football

• ALL-PRO
  • 19,785 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:51 AM

fug hawaii dude, spend a tiny bit extra on tickets and go to southeast asia and spend five bucks a night on hostels hanging out with backpackers from all over the world. you'll have the time of your life and spend absurdly little money doing it.

fwiw i went through something similar (i dont know what your exact circumstances are) and ended up selling all my poo and moving to australia because of a bunch of poo going on in my life externally and internally and it was the best decision i ever made. hawaii, southeast asia, whereever you go, just go. you can always move back home later, but this may be the only time you ever get to do something like this. fuging do it

#49 Bwood

Bwood

It's all about the

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,491 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 16 February 2013 - 06:36 AM

fug hawaii dude, spend a tiny bit extra on tickets and go to southeast asia and spend five bucks a night on hostels hanging out with backpackers from all over the world. you'll have the time of your life and spend absurdly little money doing it.

fwiw i went through something similar (i dont know what your exact circumstances are) and ended up selling all my poo and moving to australia because of a bunch of poo going on in my life externally and internally and it was the best decision i ever made. hawaii, southeast asia, whereever you go, just go. you can always move back home later, but this may be the only time you ever get to do something like this. fuging do it

You the man phil

#50 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• ALL-PRO
  • 17,246 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:47 AM

Lot's of reasons. One of the cool things is being able to make vacation activities into hobbies. Some of my friends got into kite boarding for example. Nice being able to drive or walk 5 minutes to do it. Or diving for your own lobster. And you know the best beach spots that the tourists don't etc.

#51 thefuzz

thefuzz

coppin a feel

• HUDDLER
  • 8,091 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:00 AM

Personally I would probably go to the islands down South. Would not go to HI. Too expensive.

I had the chance to move to St. Thomas, and didn't a long time ago...something that I wish I had done.

Jobs are the issue, if you are a great bartender, or server you should be able to get something, otherwise they want you to live there before they hire you, and that is a disaster waiting to happen.

#52 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • 3,440 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:13 AM

where in Australia are you? My girlfriend is probably going to vet school in Sydney or Melbourne in a couple years and I was planning on going with her. Was it difficult at all or is there not much of a transition period there?

#53 PhillyB

PhillyB

that jungle football

• ALL-PRO
  • 19,785 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:12 PM

You the man phil

If you decide to do it I have assloads of information ranging from flights to itineraries to places to stay to contacts to travel guidebooks to languages and whatever else... if you're considering this for real, feel free to inbox me or we'll discuss it on here and I can load you up with all the comprehensive information you'll ever need (including how to get you some really cheap flights down there)

#54 Bwood

Bwood

It's all about the

• HUDDLER
  • 2,491 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:09 PM

If you decide to do it I have assloads of information ranging from flights to itineraries to places to stay to contacts to travel guidebooks to languages and whatever else... if you're considering this for real, feel free to inbox me or we'll discuss it on here and I can load you up with all the comprehensive information you'll ever need (including how to get you some really cheap flights down there)

Thanks dude I appreciate it. I gotta do some major thinking first,

What's funny is I've been thinking if starting to bartender because I have experience as a barista and I was going to ask you about that ha.

#55 PhillyB

PhillyB

that jungle football

• ALL-PRO
  • 19,785 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:17 PM

Thanks dude I appreciate it. I gotta do some major thinking first,

What's funny is I've been thinking if starting to bartender because I have experience as a barista and I was going to ask you about that ha.

it's a difficult industry to get into because most of the jobs are really good and there's more bartenders that need jobs than jobs for bartenders. i recommend bartending school if you can spare the cash. it also happens to be the type of profession you can get jobs on the spot overseas in some of the backpacker towns... incredibly useful skill if you're traveling.

#56 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 16,642 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:02 PM

Personally I would probably go to the islands down South. Would not go to HI. Too expensive.

I had the chance to move to St. Thomas, and didn't a long time ago...something that I wish I had done.

Jobs are the issue, if you are a great bartender, or server you should be able to get something, otherwise they want you to live there before they hire you, and that is a disaster waiting to happen.

I spent a few days in St Thomas, don't think I would want to live there. Charlotte Amalie had a relatively high crime rate as I recall. St Johns seemed like a much better to live.

#57 RelaxImaPro

RelaxImaPro

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 2,361 posts
  • LocationThe Moon

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:07 PM

Man, I've seriously been thinking about doing something like this for a looong time... I live in probably one of the most dead end ass areas in NC and turned 22 back in September. Can't help but think I'm wasting all of my youth staying in a place like this.

About the most interesting place here on the weekends is Wal-Mart and one of the 3 bars that always has the same damn people in them (and not many at that). There's always hanging out with friends and whatnot, but honestly, I'm just sick of the people around here.

Anyways, to say the least, this thread has definitely got me seriously considering doing it again. :(

#58 PhillyB

PhillyB

that jungle football

• ALL-PRO
  • 19,785 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:17 PM

Man, I've seriously been thinking about doing something like this for a looong time... I live in probably one of the most dead end ass areas in NC and turned 22 back in September. Can't help but think I'm wasting all of my youth staying in a place like this.

About the most interesting place here on the weekends is Wal-Mart and one of the 3 bars that always has the same damn people in them (and not many at that). There's always hanging out with friends and whatnot, but honestly, I'm just sick of the people around here.

Anyways, to say the least, this thread has definitely got me seriously considering doing it again. :(

seriously considering it is fun but if you're going to do it you need to just do it. go buy a one-way ticket, budget enough for a return ticket and some cash to spend inbetween. you won't need much to live on. again, if you'd like info or advice i'd be more than happy to set you in the right direction.

you will never ever ever regret doing it.

#59 Dex

Dex

Gameday Menu Connoisseur

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,464 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:33 PM

seriously considering it is fun but if you're going to do it you need to just do it. go buy a one-way ticket, budget enough for a return ticket and some cash to spend inbetween. you won't need much to live on. again, if you'd like info or advice i'd be more than happy to set you in the right direction.

What if he goes completely broke and then comes back to the continental U.S. with no money and gets thrown out onto the streets? We can't all be professional nomads like yourself good sir. I'd like to spend a year in Ecuador and still have some cash left over for bills.

I seriously envy you. I can't just leave my career, school, friends and family behind and do something like that.

#60 RelaxImaPro

RelaxImaPro

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 2,361 posts
  • LocationThe Moon

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:38 PM

Thanks man, if nothing happens soon to really tie me down around here before I finish up this semester then I'll probably you up about that. Just goes without saying I happened upon this thread in probably one of the most bummed out times of my life, so... yeah I'm sure everybody knows how that goes.

Haha, and speaking of "seriously considering", this thread has got me "seriously considering" getting a bartender's license as well. Sounds like a good social profession to fit hand-in-hand with something like that. :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com