#61 Bwood

Bwood

It's all about the

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,491 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:52 PM

it's a difficult industry to get into because most of the jobs are really good and there's more bartenders that need jobs than jobs for bartenders. i recommend bartending school if you can spare the cash. it also happens to be the type of profession you can get jobs on the spot overseas in some of the backpacker towns... incredibly useful skill if you're traveling.

Yeah I feel that...

I'd hate to have to spend more money on school but it sounds like that's the only way to really get a good bartending gig.

I worked at Starbucks for 3 years and my manager said that it looks really good on a resume for bartenders. I know Starbucks isn't the same as bar school but I worked my ass off there and became a master of serving people's drinks to them and very good with remembering tons of different techniques and combinations of beverages.

Like you said, I just think it would be a great profession to have under my belt.

#62 AppStatePanther

AppStatePanther

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,707 posts
  • LocationMint Hill

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:54 PM

So you are getting tired of your outrageous grammy after parties every year? Or just tired of living in a dump full of fakepeople and fake citizens?

#63 Bwood

Bwood

It's all about the

• HUDDLER
  • 2,491 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:55 PM

Damn I really just wanna live on some beautiful island and surf all day and then bartend at night and bring home the drunk tourists...

#64 RelaxImaPro

RelaxImaPro

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,439 posts
  • LocationThe Moon

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:56 PM

What if he goes completely broke and then comes back to the continental U.S. with no money and gets thrown out onto the streets? We can't all be professional nomads like yourself good sir. I'd like to spend a year in Ecuador and still have some cash left over for bills.

I seriously envy you. I can't just leave my career, school, friends and family behind and do something like that.

Thanks, Negative Nancy... :(

Haha, but seriously though, that's the only reason why I haven't done it yet. Even though there's not much around here it's hard imagining just up and leaving the people I've known my whole life and just hoping it works out somewhere else. Even though it's a lame-ass overused phrase. YOLO. It's true, you only live once... best to do what you think might make you happiest.

#65 Kevin Greene

Kevin Greene

_RUN FOZZY RUN_

• HUDDLER
  • 17,338 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:07 PM

Damn I really just wanna live on some beautiful island and surf all day and then bartend at night and bring home the drunk tourists...

You're in luck, you can do that in SoCal.

#66 PhillyB

PhillyB

that jungle football

• ALL-PRO
  • 20,521 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:24 PM

What if he goes completely broke and then comes back to the continental U.S. with no money and gets thrown out onto the streets? We can't all be professional nomads like yourself good sir. I'd like to spend a year in Ecuador and still have some cash left over for bills.

I seriously envy you. I can't just leave my career, school, friends and family behind and do something like that.

of course it's a risk, but if you don't take chances you won't have any stories to tell.

i came back from my journey into los angeles international airport with twenty-six cents to my name and no job and slummed it for months. it almost sunk me into a depression, coming off of this months-long high of constant exchange of thoughts and ideas and adventures with vibrant backpacking communities around the world and then working a minimum wage job in a kitchen at a shitty wings restaurant with no real visible future. it's a journey for sure.

but it changed my life in countless ways that i'd never trade for anything. totally worth every shitty moment that came packaged with the timeless ones.

#67 AppStatePanther

AppStatePanther

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,707 posts
  • LocationMint Hill

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:27 PM

You're in luck, you can do that in SoCal.

well apparently he can't. Weve all seen ur pic over in the cbb forums. Its all about da toothbrush.

#68 PhillyB

PhillyB

that jungle football

• ALL-PRO
  • 20,521 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:09 AM

Thanks, Negative Nancy... :(

Haha, but seriously though, that's the only reason why I haven't done it yet. Even though there's not much around here it's hard imagining just up and leaving the people I've known my whole life and just hoping it works out somewhere else. Even though it's a lame-ass overused phrase. YOLO. It's true, you only live once... best to do what you think might make you happiest.

i had that fear leaving... in fact i think it was my biggest one. it transcended my fears of getting stuck or lost or whatever... i didn't want to leave and be forgotten about, have people move on without me, come back home years later than intended, have to start my life back over socially.

it was a ridiculous fear and it turned out not to be even remotely an issue.

#69 Squirrel

Squirrel

Drink a beer and relax

• ALL-PRO
  • 12,696 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:40 AM

Dont worry there are plenty of bums in Hawaii to help you out. Most of them are really friendly.

#70 Bwood

Bwood

It's all about the

• HUDDLER
  • 2,491 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:20 AM

This sounds random and not as cool as escaping to the tropics, but I've really started to heavily consider Portland.

Anyone from Portland or use to live there? My friend just got back from there, he hitch hiked up and lived on the streets and loved it.

#71 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 20,978 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:33 AM

don't over think where you want to go. there is no perfect scenario. the reason why i have tons of stories is i took chances or the road less travelled.

come up with a top 3 and then make your call and give yourself a year. i love random see where the wind takes you type stuff. some of the coolest people and things i have seen has been totally unplanned.

my wife still thinks im crazy for wanting to crash parties from time to time and i tell her you never know what can happen.

#72 thefuzz

thefuzz

coppin a feel

• HUDDLER
  • 8,364 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:46 PM

I spent a few days in St Thomas, don't think I would want to live there. Charlotte Amalie had a relatively high crime rate as I recall. St Johns seemed like a much better to live.

Totally agree. Charlotte Amalie, is not a safe place for non locals.

I would have been able to live on the South end of the island, close to the ferry to St. John.

#73 Hawk

Hawk

Huddler of the Decade

• Moderators
  • 14,979 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:50 PM

buddy of mine is cop in Portland...Oregon that is...one of the biggest drug cities in the world...just throwing that out there.

#74 thefuzz

thefuzz

coppin a feel

• HUDDLER
  • 8,364 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:25 PM

Yeah I feel that...

I'd hate to have to spend more money on school but it sounds like that's the only way to really get a good bartending gig.

I worked at Starbucks for 3 years and my manager said that it looks really good on a resume for bartenders. I know Starbucks isn't the same as bar school but I worked my ass off there and became a master of serving people's drinks to them and very good with remembering tons of different techniques and combinations of beverages.

Like you said, I just think it would be a great profession to have under my belt.

Honestly you are not going to be able to get a good gig right out of bartending school.

Start waiting tables and work your way into bar shifts. The good tending jobs don't post on monster dot com.

Figure out if you want to work at a bar, club, restaurant, high end place, etc....and go from there.

Also anywhere you move it will be easier to get into the job waiting tables vs. bartending to get started.

#75 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 17,035 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:40 PM

buddy of mine is cop in Portland...Oregon that is...one of the biggest drug cities in the world...just throwing that out there.

You just caused half the huddle to consider a move to Portland. ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com