#76 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,670 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:54 PM

Honestly you are not going to be able to get a good gig right out of bartending school.

Start waiting tables and work your way into bar shifts. The good tending jobs don't post on monster dot com.

Figure out if you want to work at a bar, club, restaurant, high end place, etc....and go from there.

Also anywhere you move it will be easier to get into the job waiting tables vs. bartending to get started.

Check craigslist. I've gotten two separate bar jobs from ads on craigslist. Of course I have about 8 years of bar experience, but nonetheless.

#77 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• ALL-PRO
  • 17,633 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:28 AM

This sounds random and not as cool as escaping to the tropics, but I've really started to heavily consider Portland.

Anyone from Portland or use to live there? My friend just got back from there, he hitch hiked up and lived on the streets and loved it.

My good buddy lived there. He said food and drink and music and things to do are awesome. And it's a beautiful city.

Downsides are the constant grey/rain and the hipsters.

#78 Guest_Spider Monkey_*

Guest_Spider Monkey_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 September 2013 - 06:11 AM

Bwood lives with his mommy and uses our tax money to feed his child. Go away bot.

#79 ARSEN

ARSEN

Banned

• ALL-PRO
  • 11,988 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 06:23 AM

Everyone I spoke too in Hawaii from mainland said they fuging hate their decision to sale everything and move to Hawaii. Hawaii is a tourist spot where everything is expensive as poo and employees make very little. They make so little that they don't have enough to visit other islands... Many Hawaiians are like hippies. Hawaiians are also a tight bunch and u cannot just move there and be a friend with someone. U have to earn their respect. It's a process... Also, did I tell u many locals are not fans of white people?

#80 Anybodyhome

Anybodyhome

USN Retired

• HUDDLER
  • 6,710 posts
  • LocationWherever I May Roam

Posted 27 September 2013 - 08:32 AM

During my Navy career I made port calls in Hawaii no less than 23 times over a span of 15 years. Some stay were nothing more than 2-3 days resupply stops, other times I was there for a few weeks. The islanders have their cliques, their customs and their societal rules and the "Howlies" (a derivative of the Hawaiian word 'Haole' which translates to 'foreigner') are not easily welcomed into this life.

Hawaii is far and away the most expensive place in the entire country, including Alaska. It is so expensive that military families stationed there are subsidized a huge amount of money on a monthly basis just to be able to afford housing and food costs, not to mention gas.

I don't care if I ever see Hawaii again. I got to do all the tourist things and after a few stays when I became very familiar with it I could go blend in with the locals on their beaches and do some of the things unknown to tourists. But I was bored with it after awhile; you can't get away from it, you can't escape it. I think you have to be at a very specific place in your life where travel and adventure and escapism is no longer a priority to live there.

Here's an idea though... when I made the decision to retire from the Navy, I literally put a map of the US on a wall and threw a couple darts at it. I ended up moving from San Diego, CA to Pleasant Garden, NC. Had the Navy move all my stuff cross country while I drove and took 2 weeks crossing the country seeing all the stupid stuff few people stop to see- Tombstone, AZ (OK Corral), Cadillac Ranch in Texas, Gateway Arch in St. Louis, some Presidential birthplaces, etc.

I'm very close to talking the wife into staying where we are now for just 3 years before we do the same thing...

#81 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • 3,493 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 09:54 AM

My cousin moved to Hawaii and he loves it. He makes good money though and seems to travel around on the islands a good bit. He also comes back to the mainland every few months for work, so that probably helps.

I wouldn't want to live on an island though. I also wouldn't want to live in the middle of the country either because it is basically a giant island surrounded by land with nothing to offer rather than water.

I love NC (and much of the east coast) because I can drive or fly two hours to so many different things.

#82 thefuzz

thefuzz

coppin a feel

• HUDDLER
  • 8,390 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 10:09 AM

Why was this bumped?

#83 Hawk

Hawk

Huddler of the Decade

• Moderators
  • 14,979 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 10:31 AM

some newb felt the need to toss out an insult into a thread that was 7 months old

#84 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 17,097 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 12:44 PM

As I get older, I find that location is increasing irrelevant to me.  I like being close to my friends, family, and the sports teams I am a fan of, but other than that, I have no particular attachment to North Carolina.  My only requirements irt living in a place are that it have a low cost of living, decent weather, somewhat convenient access to roads/airports, and dependable high speed internet access (for my job).  And I don't want any place that is very crowded.   

#85 thefuzz

thefuzz

coppin a feel

• HUDDLER
  • 8,390 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 03:18 PM

As I get older, I find that location is increasing irrelevant to me.  I like being close to my friends, family, and the sports teams I am a fan of, but other than that, I have no particular attachment to North Carolina.  My only requirements irt living in a place are that it have a low cost of living, decent weather, somewhat convenient access to roads/airports, and dependable high speed internet access (for my job).  And I don't want any place that is very crowded.   

For me...family and friends, and water access.

Good water, not some bullshit lake.

#86 R0CKnR0LLA

R0CKnR0LLA

Drunk Posting

• HUDDLER
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 27 September 2013 - 04:54 PM

excellent bump, quality thread

#87 Lloyd Christmas

Lloyd Christmas

So you're telling me there's a chance....

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  • LocationAspin, Colorado

Posted 27 September 2013 - 08:55 PM

Try Carolina Beach, NC. You'll have your coast, it's super cheap and really easy to blend in with the bums.

#88 thefuzz

thefuzz

coppin a feel

• HUDDLER
  • 8,390 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 09:41 AM

Try Carolina Beach, NC. You'll have your coast, it's super cheap and really easy to blend in with the bums.

Live in Wilmington.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com