Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thinking of selling cars...any advice?

25 posts in this topic

Posted

Salesman? In 96 my husband was making over 60K at a used car dealership.

Posted

im pretty out going and can talk to anyone on any level on any topic. all my financial advisor buddies are constantly wanting me to join them and get back in the broker game but i can't do it.

i could sell cars but the bang for your buck isn't the same.

lady p. you should consider real estate. it's similar but you could do better because the relationship building part is much better than the quick sell of cars.

sure the hours could add up but, if you build right, it becomes a legacy of making money. like fuzz said, you call after a sale or check in with them and down the line, they send biz to YOU. not the other way around.

as your unpaid Life Coach, I say go for Real Estate.

Posted

My sister in law is the Sales Manager for Land Rover here in Pasadena, CA. Makes over 150k on a bad year. However, she hates it. Then again, I personally believe 9/10 people hate their work.

High end car dealerships you do not have to worry about financing like a Honda dealership would. People who go there already have money for the most part.

Long hours and rarely sees her husband and kids. Depends if you would prefer money over family.

Posted

instead of getting a job at an established lot...have you considered an online custom auto lot?

I know a guy...friend of a friend...and he essentially runs an online/on the phone lot for high end clients.

works like this...Joe wants to buy a car but he's busy and feels to important to go lot to lot or spend time online shopping. Instead, he calls ladypanther and says yo...I want to be a 2013 BMW 750i with these options/colors etc etc etc. Make it happen.

you shop the world, find it, negotiate the best price for it, get it brought to Joe and collect a commission.

probably tough to start out because you'd need connections all over the car world to ensure you get your best price, but I think there's big money in this. In Canada it's big because we can benefit through buying cars from the US, importing them and saving a boatload on taxes. I bet with all that banking in Charlotte and area, there's enough rich dudes that will pay for this service.

1 person likes this

Posted

That sounds like a good idea Hawk. I do think I need to know more about the business first. And the job I am interviewing for has benefits....something I need right now. May file that away for later.

The business I am currently in has some very nasty sides. There is little humanity in human services these days, and there is also a lot of competition and back stabbing. Some of the craziest people seem attracted to it....and sadly some of them get a lot of power.

I want to get sales experience and a chance to make some money. Appreciate all the info and ideas I can get.

Posted

That sounds like a good idea Hawk. I do think I need to know more about the business first. And the job I am interviewing for has benefits....something I need right now. May file that away for later.

The business I am currently in has some very nasty sides. There is little humanity in human services these days, and there is also a lot of competition and back stabbing. Some of the craziest people seem attracted to it....and sadly some of them get a lot of power.

I want to get sales experience and a chance to make some money. Appreciate all the info and ideas I can get.

Personally I recommend real estate over car sales, but if you need money, and need it quickly, RE is not the career path for you.

It takes a while to build up your business.

Posted

I know there are good people in every walk of life, job, vocation, etc....but I admit to laughing at the bit about lack of humanity, the competition, and back stabbing in human/social services...so you want to go into car sales?

Posted

I know there are good people in every walk of life, job, vocation, etc....but I admit to laughing at the bit about lack of humanity, the competition, and back stabbing in human/social services...so you want to go into car sales?

+1

Posted

I agree with Scrum....Sales in general (for the most part)are a bunch of back stabbing and extremely hypocritical holier than thou assholes....

if you don't want to be a part of that...you should avoid sales at all costs

Posted

Ladypanther... here is a thread I made about a year ago that may be helpful to you as well.