Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Let's talk about atheism (WALL OF TEXT IN OP DON'T SAY I DIDN'T WARN YOU)

75 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

i'd say we all have a 100% chance of hitting our expiration date. after that, roll of the dice. if you thought the carnival cruise fiasco was tough. mama mia.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Carolina Husker' timestamp='1361120613' post='2137069']
The only intellectually honest position to hold is agnosticism.
[/quote]

This.

When it comes to spiritualism and existentialism, nobody knows anything for a fact. The point at which a fact in those regards will present itself will be too late for you to come back and tell anyone else.

I can theorize all I want about the origins/purposes of our intended/accidental existence. But, as far as we know, life is finite. I often have more important poo to do while I am alive than to ponder the philosophy of our existence.

That said, I lean strongly towards the "no god" side of things, but the biggest stumbling block is the things that separate us from other primates and animals in that we have a seemingly higher level of consciousness and critical thinking.

I often jest about ancient astronaut theory and such, but tbqh I think that is just as plausible (if not more so in most cases) than the history of religious theory, evolution from primate ancestors, etc...

I think the whole thing that intrigues people fundamentally is the origin of the catalyst that sprung us off on our own branch as a species. You either think it can happen physiologically over time, or there has to be some sort of "magic" involved that is basically something we can never comprehend.

All I know for sure is that we've made some pretty huge changes on this planet, positive and negative, during our brief speck of time on it.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Bronn' timestamp='1361201258' post='2137520']
This.

When it comes to spiritualism and existentialism, nobody knows anything for a fact. The point at which a fact in those regards will present itself will be too late for you to come back and tell anyone else.

I can theorize all I want about the origins/purposes of our intended/accidental existence. But, as far as we know, life is finite. I often have more important poo to do while I am alive than to ponder the philosophy of our existence.

That said, I lean strongly towards the "no god" side of things, but the biggest stumbling block is the things that separate us from other primates and animals in that we have a seemingly higher level of consciousness and critical thinking.

[/quote]

i don't see how that's a stumbling block... it seems that, If anything it give more credence to the idea that we invented god.

Posted · Report post

I look at it this way:

I would rather believe there is a God and live my life as such....and be wrong about it.

Rather than not believe there is a Hod and live my life as such....and be wrong.

First case....maybe I missed out on some pleasure and fun while floating around in this rock.

Second case....eternal damnation.

Just a thought.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='mmmbeans' timestamp='1361220037' post='2137857']
i don't see how that's a stumbling block... it seems that, If anything it give more credence to the idea that we invented god.
[/quote]

I completely agree that the concept of god to humans is a totally manufactured/recycled concept... God was born out of our very incessant need to explain things. Interestingly enough, this is the same need that drives a lot of science out there. The difference is that science keeps looking, while the other side is content to throw up their hands and give up and call it faith.

I guess what I was saying is that there are some questions that just can't be answered, at least with our current understanding of things, with factual information. We can theorize all day long, but there are a lot of things that we don't know and we assume based on our current collective knowledge.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='MadHatter' timestamp='1361220642' post='2137863']
I look at it this way:

I would rather believe there is a God and live my life as such....and be wrong about it.

Rather than not believe there is a Hod and live my life as such....and be wrong.

First case....maybe I missed out on some pleasure and fun while floating around in this rock.

Just a thought.
[/quote]

there's transcendental merit to certain aspects of the argument i think, but pascals wager has been long debunked as fallacious (and i'm actually an enormous fan of pascalian epistemology and existential philosophy.)

Posted · Report post

[quote name='MadHatter' timestamp='1361220642' post='2137863']
I look at it this way:

Just a thought.
[/quote]

But, you're letting a fear based reaction directly affect the way you live.

It shouldn't take fear to make people behave as they ought to behave.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Let me put it this way...

If your intent was to do bad things if there weren't an omnipotent being or an eternal damnation, do you not also believe that said omnipotent being would already know your intentions regardless and your facade of being a good person would be seen through?

If so, why even allow you to exist? To fulfill some omnipotent being's pop quiz on human decision making?

LOL
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Christians do not live under a sherrif who is waiting to back hand us when we cross some line. Our intent is of chief importance.

Posted · Report post

No... Christians live under ideals and stories that existed long before Christianity that they plagiarized/modified to control the masses of people who would subscribe to them...

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Bronn' timestamp='1361222138' post='2137887']
No... Christians live under ideals and stories that existed long before Christianity that they plagiarized/modified to control the masses of people who would subscribe to them...
[/quote]

i'm not sure the narrative is that simple. i would agree that various political factions have throughout history managed to very successfully manipulate christians based on facets of their religion (e.g. the republican party platform and evangelical christianity.) i don't think the religion itself was developed with such a purpose and intent in mind (but i guess religion being the subjective term is what makes the discussion so nuanced.)

Posted · Report post

[quote name='PhillyB' timestamp='1361222900' post='2137901']

i'm not sure the narrative is that simple. i would agree that various political factions have throughout history managed to very successfully manipulate christians based on facets of their religion (e.g. the republican party platform and evangelical christianity.) i don't think the religion itself was developed with such a purpose and intent in mind (but i guess religion being the subjective term is what makes the discussion so nuanced.)
[/quote]

perhaps not, but it's certainly arguable that Constantine brought it to prominence with that intent.