Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Let's talk about atheism (WALL OF TEXT IN OP DON'T SAY I DIDN'T WARN YOU)

75 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Honestly, I would love to live a simpler life and believe in God and Jesus and Abraham, but I struggle with it.

Wish I could let blind faith take over...hasn't happened, but I would be fine if it did.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Bronn' timestamp='1361220979' post='2137871']

But, you're letting a fear based reaction directly affect the way you live.

It shouldn't take fear to make people behave as they ought to behave.
[/quote]

I was being facetious.

I believe that you should live a good life and treat people fairly just because it is the right thing to do.

But, if I had to be wrong .....I would rather ere on the side if no eternal damnation.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='PhillyB' timestamp='1361222900' post='2137901']

i'm not sure the narrative is that simple. i would agree that various political factions have throughout history managed to very successfully manipulate christians based on facets of their religion (e.g. the republican party platform and evangelical christianity.) i don't think the religion itself was developed with such a purpose and intent in mind (but i guess religion being the subjective term is what makes the discussion so nuanced.)
[/quote]

I contend that organized religion as opposed to spirituality was from the start intended as a means of social control. If it weren't religion would have stopped at animism.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='MadHatter' timestamp='1361223611' post='2137914']
I was being facetious.

I believe that you should live a good life and treat people fairly just because it is the right thing to do.

But, if I had to be wrong .....I would rather ere on the side if no eternal damnation.
[/quote]

Except it turns out that some dead religion was the actual truthful one so you went ahead and picked eternal damnation.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Kral' timestamp='1361226799' post='2137953']

I contend that organized religion as opposed to spirituality was from the start intended as a means of social control. If it weren't religion would have stopped at animism.
[/quote]

i would argue that it's entirely dependent on how you define religion... not an easy task by any stretch. there are those who would argue animism is itself a form of religion in that it fits into broad categories defined by the term.

i would also suggest that a survey of world religions show, at their origins (perhaps not the major monotheistic ones, we'll leave those out) a symbiosis between social structure and religion where the two are inextricable and the one affects the other. this could naturally lead to coercion and control, but in this case the correlation does not necessarily imply causation.

but i am no expert and if you have cases to show otherwise i'd love to see them.

Posted · Report post

Agnostic, we really don't know as much as we think we do..

Posted · Report post

since many think man invented his own god, although it doesn't make sense he would make a god to tell him not to even lust after a woman, but i digress.
so if that potential is there for a human to invent their own truth, isn't it highly plausible that is what some here are doing? inventing the answers to the questions they don't know?

as i stated earlier. we all will get our fair shake at the how the cosmos play out. spend all the time and energy you want on figuring things out while on terra firma. just don't come up snake eyes at the worst possible time in your existence. all im saying.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='pstall' timestamp='1361248719' post='2138251']
since many think man invented his own god, although it doesn't make sense he would make a god to tell him not to even lust after a woman, but i digress.
so if that potential is there for a human to invent their own truth, isn't it highly plausible that is what some here are doing? inventing the answers to the questions they don't know?

as i stated earlier. we all will get our fair shake at the how the cosmos play out. spend all the time and energy you want on figuring things out while on terra firma. just don't come up snake eyes at the worst possible time in your existence. all im saying.
[/quote]

what about those who question but are led to different answers based on their realm of the human experience?

Posted · Report post

if they are seeking, truly seeking, their journey will lead them where they need to go. an answer today, can change a year from now. as long as someone is open to the truth, they will keep on learning and growing and seeing things totally differently.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='pstall' timestamp='1361249825' post='2138255']
if they are seeking, truly seeking, their journey will lead them where they need to go. an answer today, can change a year from now. as long as someone is open to the truth, they will keep on learning and growing and seeing things totally differently.
[/quote]

and where is it that journey will lead all of them who truly seek?

Posted · Report post

[quote name='pstall' timestamp='1361248719' post='2138251']
[/quote]

I actually want to revisit this because I don't see the logic behind your argument. How does it *not* make sense for man to invent a god that dictates some level of control over some of our more "base" instincts?

Posted · Report post

It's not so much that I don't believe in god, well I don't that's not true, but its more that 99% of followers of any organized religion I've come across are hypocritical, and if there is a god, he is a twisted, twisted being. I also hate how when something unimaginably horrible happens, god had nothing to do with it, but then something good happens, and its like, oh thank god for that. I can't wrap my head around it.