Photo
- - - - -

Let's talk about atheism (WALL OF TEXT IN OP DON'T SAY I DIDN'T WARN YOU)

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#31 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,991 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:38 PM

since many think man invented his own god, although it doesn't make sense he would make a god to tell him not to even lust after a woman, but i digress.
so if that potential is there for a human to invent their own truth, isn't it highly plausible that is what some here are doing? inventing the answers to the questions they don't know?

as i stated earlier. we all will get our fair shake at the how the cosmos play out. spend all the time and energy you want on figuring things out while on terra firma. just don't come up snake eyes at the worst possible time in your existence. all im saying.

#32 PhillyB

PhillyB

that jungle football

• ALL-PRO
  • 20,550 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:53 PM

since many think man invented his own god, although it doesn't make sense he would make a god to tell him not to even lust after a woman, but i digress.
so if that potential is there for a human to invent their own truth, isn't it highly plausible that is what some here are doing? inventing the answers to the questions they don't know?

as i stated earlier. we all will get our fair shake at the how the cosmos play out. spend all the time and energy you want on figuring things out while on terra firma. just don't come up snake eyes at the worst possible time in your existence. all im saying.

what about those who question but are led to different answers based on their realm of the human experience?

#33 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 20,991 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:57 PM

if they are seeking, truly seeking, their journey will lead them where they need to go. an answer today, can change a year from now. as long as someone is open to the truth, they will keep on learning and growing and seeing things totally differently.

#34 PhillyB

PhillyB

that jungle football

• ALL-PRO
  • 20,550 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:02 AM

if they are seeking, truly seeking, their journey will lead them where they need to go. an answer today, can change a year from now. as long as someone is open to the truth, they will keep on learning and growing and seeing things totally differently.

and where is it that journey will lead all of them who truly seek?

#35 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • 16,530 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:05 AM

I actually want to revisit this because I don't see the logic behind your argument. How does it *not* make sense for man to invent a god that dictates some level of control over some of our more "base" instincts?

#36 Montsta

Montsta

Rest In Peace

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,912 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:10 AM

It's not so much that I don't believe in god, well I don't that's not true, but its more that 99% of followers of any organized religion I've come across are hypocritical, and if there is a god, he is a twisted, twisted being. I also hate how when something unimaginably horrible happens, god had nothing to do with it, but then something good happens, and its like, oh thank god for that. I can't wrap my head around it.

#37 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 20,991 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:12 AM

and where is it that journey will lead all of them who truly seek?

to the truth. truth can't be contained or hidden or locked away. at some point, whether casually or violently, we or it finds us.

#38 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 20,991 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:13 AM

I actually want to revisit this because I don't see the logic behind your argument. How does it *not* make sense for man to invent a god that dictates some level of control over some of our more "base" instincts?

i will ask a question that adds something somebody posted earlier about the invention part, then i will get back to this.

for the inventinon of "god" and the purpose of social control. how many humans were around when "god" was first invented?

#39 PhillyB

PhillyB

that jungle football

• ALL-PRO
  • 20,550 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:26 AM

It's not so much that I don't believe in god, well I don't that's not true, but its more that 99% of followers of any organized religion I've come across are hypocritical, and if there is a god, he is a twisted, twisted being. I also hate how when something unimaginably horrible happens, god had nothing to do with it, but then something good happens, and its like, oh thank god for that. I can't wrap my head around it.

what i don't understand is the idea that millions of people across history have prayed to god for help during starvation and genocide and murder and countless other human tragedy and been ignored, but if you pray before your math test you might get a good grade, or if you pray your football career will be blessed by way of touchdowns and championships, or if you got a raise at work it was totally GOD blessing you with money.

it's integral to modern forms of liturgy (worship) in establishment christian circles and i really don't think it makes any sense, even if you accept other facets of theism/christianity

#40 PhillyB

PhillyB

that jungle football

• ALL-PRO
  • 20,550 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:31 AM

to the truth. truth can't be contained or hidden or locked away. at some point, whether casually or violently, we or it finds us.

what is the truth? be specific

#41 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • 16,530 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:17 AM

i will ask a question that adds something somebody posted earlier about the invention part, then i will get back to this.

for the inventinon of "god" and the purpose of social control. how many humans were around when "god" was first invented?

This seems irrelevant since a deity of one form or another was invented by multiple cultures throughout human history. Are you referring to a specific god here?

My assumptions are that deities began as a method to explain the natural world that was not understood. With that came reverence of those mythical figures to bring good fortune. If you are going to revere something, you need to have some guidance in how to do it, and thus, social control was born. But that is just me making assumptions.

#42 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 14,000 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:12 AM

So all religious laws are divine? Everywhere? Man would never willingly ( for whatever reason) constrain his most base nature? The dark ages would like a f*cking word.

We're all inventing answers to questions we don't know... Of course that's what we are doing, that's what we've always done...

As far as turning up snake-eyes... Well, it always comes down to threats doesn't ?

#43 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:21 AM

Hey look a religion thread! I bet lots of opinions will be changed in here!

#44 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 10,895 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:35 AM

Why would I invent a God who would want to limit my lusts? Money, sex, and many other areas to be put in a box? Why would I not invent one that gave me freedom in all areas?

Sadly, many who claim Christianity are very distant from the true meaning. Those, like Ray Lewis who think God is more for the Ravens than the other 31 teams are very passionate but their belief is about a quarter inch deep in its understanding. Same with those who pray about math tests and such.

Becoming a Christian, or Hindu or anything does not mean you instantly have all understanding. It is not conveyed upon you in an instant. Like your first day of school does not produce a masters.

Some here understand that, others use it for their arguments against God.

Agree with Pstall, the search is worth the effort.

#45 thatlookseasy

thatlookseasy

Death to pennies

• HUDDLER
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:48 AM

2+

People have been forcing other people to follow rules for as long as they have been around. All it takes to start a religion is one creative guy with a desire to be more important that everyone else

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com