Photo
- - - - -

Let's talk about atheism (WALL OF TEXT IN OP DON'T SAY I DIDN'T WARN YOU)

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#61 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,000 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:17 PM

you dodging me stirs?

#62 TheRumGone

TheRumGone

mountain man

• HUDDLER
  • 8,257 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:27 PM

Why do you try to make people happy?

It was the way i was raised.

#63 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 23,609 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:43 PM

I would imagine a god would be more interested in how you treated other people and if you were a morally good/just person over how/what you believed in.

There are 2 billion christians in the world and quite frankly there is pry 2 billion versions of christianity. I have my own set of beliefs and they are different from my wife's and pstalls and my parents.

That's all good.

The problem is when you believe you are morally superior and righteous that you start to infringe on the rights of other people with laws fashioned around your interpretation.

#64 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 10,442 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:51 PM

you dodging me stirs?

You mean the thought provoking "why am I a good person" question?

Answer: I am not

#65 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 14,000 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:56 PM

You mean the thought provoking "why am I a good person" question?

Answer: I am not

then why do you TRY to be a good person... if it's not fear of judgement... what?

Don't get all indignant with the question... you were the one that first brought up this line of thinking with your "what's to keep someone who don't believe in god from murdering a bunch of people?"

#66 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 10,442 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:00 PM

It is all in what you beleive a certain set of standards should be and who gives you the set of standards. Where does your set originate? Did they evolve? Are they ever changing? Why have them?

To some, there are no absolutes.

#67 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 14,000 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:10 PM

It is all in what you beleive a certain set of standards should be and who gives you the set of standards. Where does your set originate? Did they evolve? Are they ever changing? Why have them?

To some, there are no absolutes.

thanks, I have my answer.

#68 Coheed

Coheed

Loves Jon Beason

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:04 AM

you can hate the what if you're wrong argument all you want, at some point, no matter your belief systems, socio-economic background, skin color, favorite James Bond or whatever, you WILL die. that might be the only thing that 100% of humanity agrees with.
after that. well.

I hate the "what if you're wrong argument" because, like I said, the possibility of being wrong applies to absolutely anybody. If an argument someone makes against someone can be applied to everyone, it's not exactly a strong one.

#69 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 19,810 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:41 AM

Simple question. Are we all going to die one day?

#70 thatlookseasy

thatlookseasy

Death to pennies

• HUDDLER
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:56 AM

I certainly dont plan on it

#71 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 19,810 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:23 PM

Exactly

#72 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 14,000 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:43 PM

i think he means he'll live eternally in heaven.

#73 lightsout

lightsout

Doin' stuff...thaaaangs

• HUDDLER
  • 5,623 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:22 PM

The only intellectually honest position to hold is agnosticism.

Depends what you mean by "agnosticism". When it comes to the question of belief, agnosticism doesn't answer the question. If I ask you if you believe the Panthers will make the playoffs next season, and you say, "I don't know and it cannot be known", you did not answer my question. I asked whether or not you believe it. If you do not say yes, you are necessarily saying no. Now, when it comes to KNOWLEDGE, agnosticism is better than gnosticism (speaking on religion here). If I ask you if you know whether or not the Panthers are going to make the playoffs next season, and you say, "I do not know", then you have answered my question by abstaining to answer on it. There is no way you can know either way on that, so the only honest thing you can say about what you know about it is nothing. Agnosticism and atheism are not mutually exclusive.

Words have meanings, and atheism is simply a lack of a belief in a god. It is not a position of certainty. I do not believe a god exists, but I do not know this to be certain. Might there be? Sure. Any good reason to BELIEVE there is? No. I honestly do not see how anybody can call that "irrational" or "nonintellectual". There is no good reason to believe in any god or gods. To claim knowledge of the existence or nonexistence of a god is absurd, because we don't know. Nobody does. If there was evidence in either direction, then that would be groundbreaking! There would be only one form of god belief, and that is the one that has proven itself to be true. However, this hasn't happened.

#74 thatlookseasy

thatlookseasy

Death to pennies

• HUDDLER
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:59 PM

i think he means he'll live eternally in heaven.

If I must. I'd rather just hang around as a cyborg for a few thousand years

#75 TANTRIC-NINJA

TANTRIC-NINJA

The holy ghost of Mr. Miyagi

• HUDDLER
  • 5,866 posts
  • LocationColumbia, South Kacky

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:19 PM

Really if heaven is populated by Benny Hinn, the Tinderbox churchies and the 700 club then ill gladly get my tan on in Dante's inferno.. with Hendrix, Gandhi and Leslie Neilson.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.