Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jerry Richardson interview on the stadium renovation.

48 posts in this topic

Posted

It's a completely fair question.

And if I still lived in Charlotte, I might be a little upset as well. Like any other city of its size, it has it's problems- least among them being Bank of America Stadium's condition.

For what it's worth, I can understand the idea of the escalators and such to provide better accessibility. But in the current landscape, I'd probably have a difficult time justifying the city's investment in the form of a tax, even if it's only on a commodity like "prepared food and beverage."

My thoughts on this are only compounded by the fact that one can easily make a convincing argument to say that the franchise has been mismanaged for the better part of it's existence. Only 4 winning seasons since 1995 is a testament to that.

That said, I think the organization has something to prove before asking for the assistance of essentially everyone in a major city.

In all fairness, though, Israel Balderas did come off like a total douche here. To say he was editorializing more than simply asking a question is probably an understatement.

Posted

It's a fair question but it's ambush journalism. Jerry should answer it with a prepared statement in a controlled environment. If you were confronted at work about something with a coworker or in your expense reports you would want to get the facts in front of you so you don't misspeak. Sometimes you can say something under pressure that is not accurate or not a clear explanation. You deserve to be clear in your response.

Now if Jerry never answers the question... then yeah you guys have a right to be upset. Personally I'm not. I'm happy with the deal.

Posted

i don't think richardson's reaction is revealing in the slightest, and that is the downside to infantile confrontations like this. you've got to do better than that if you want respect from anyone at all. give me a break.

Posted

I would support a 3% prepared food tax increase. 1% for the upgrades, 1% for the destitute, and 1% to Panthro and Madhatter to fight in a cage match to the death.

Posted

Funny trying to bash me. But you talking about get a clue. So the Panthers have sold out the past 10+ years (actually it is 11) , So that tells you they have been making money every single year. Why dont they spend that money on the upgrades instead of asking for money from the city and state? Plus with the Bowl game and Acc Championship game.

So since Richardson is asking for handouts from the State and City. He has opened the organizition up to those questions the reporter is asking. If he doesnt want to answer dont ask for handouts.

But no he can be his smug self and people will ignore it because they like the Panthers. Fine thats your choice and its my choice to bash him.

Your last line is amazingly baffling. Well run on sentence but this part "the only sure product in America". Surely you dont think that football is the only sure fire product it has going for it? If it is this country is really screwed!

BTW I dispise almost everything the tea party is about please dont try to lump me in with them. Now go give JR your taxes so he can get richer.

Class warfare perpetuated by the current administration.

By the way, the Panthers said the city will get to use BofA rent free for 5 events a year which is around an $80million value (if I recall the number correctly, if not please correct me).

Posted

thoughts?

I agree with the reporter.

Posted

The reporter has the right to ask the question and JR has the right to not answer.

The bottom line is that our elected officials, who represent "the people" decide whether or not JR gets the money he's asking for - so if you want to go after someone, go after the elected officials since the decision is ultimately in their hands.

Plenty of large, successful business receive government subsidies in one form or another - not because they need it but because it's a question of enlightened self interest for those governments. An NFL franchise is an excellent investment for the people of Charlotte and NC as a whole, on many levels.

It's clear that JR is not as quick on his feet when presented with questions like this as he once was and that's understandable given his age and medical condition. It's part of why Danny Morrison was brought in to be the face of ownership. I'm glad JR declined to answer @ that moment rather then giving some off-the-hip response.

1 person likes this

Posted

People should be in an uproar that only the City of Charlotte is the one taking on that small bill. It's the CAROLINA panthers not the Charlotte Panthers. The rest of the Carolinas should help out.

Posted

People should be in an uproar that only the City of Charlotte is the one taking on that small bill. It's the CAROLINA panthers not the Charlotte Panthers. The rest of the Carolinas should help out.

I think SC should kick in.

Posted

I am now the Carolina Kurbs. Please send me your money

Posted

Jerry Richardson is a smart and savvy businessman. He's a poo for an NFL owner but boy is he business smart and savvy.

Posted

SC should at least account for 25% of the tax rev