Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PhillyB

Obama Waives Child Soldier Ban in Yemen and Congo

33 posts in this topic

oil, gas, gold, copper, timber, labor

Not sure about the others, but Timber and Labor from Africa are not something we really need.

i'm interested in hearing arguments in support of it... i think most people i've encountered agree it's terrible... any dissenters?

Not sure about the others, but Timber and Labor from Africa are not something we really need.

1. Not yet.

2. China is in there... just like the middle east, this has more to do with keeping a leash on china as it does with our actual current demand.

3. Lets be serious here. NEED has never been an issue in our consumption... If we don't need them, we'll sell them to someone else at a premium... We always need money.

Pretty disgusting.

Are we really a proper moral barometer for the world?

We jail and murder our own civilians at one of the highest rates in the civilized world.

i'm interested in hearing arguments in support of it... i think most people i've encountered agree it's terrible... any dissenters?

morally, it's reprehensible... strategically, it's quite sensible... and honestly, if we haven't been giving money to "nations" that employ child-soldiers, we've certainly been giving money to extra-national groups that employ them. So... six of one, half dozen of the other.

I would have to see their reasoning on it before passing judgement. Also, as some of the others have alluded to, different cultures have different opinions on what constitutes a child.

Regarding Yemen, they are engaged in a Civil War against extremist elements, so while giving funding to them may be distasteful, allowing the other side to win could be far worse for both the people of Yemen and for us.

Okay, in the big scheme of things, the gov will support one side to "offset" another. I think that "strategery" is one of the main goals in foreign policy and human rights are way down the list.

Not a ringing endorsment that you were looking for, but about as close as I could get to a reason.

Let's see how much this is covered on the news over the next day or so.