Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rivera says things are on track to be under cap and hints at FA

64 posts in this topic

Posted

so were $10 million over with Gambles cap hit being $10 million. Release him and carolina is good?

You don't save ALL of the hit.

$7.9 mil savings here.

Posted

so they still need about $2 million plus if they want to sign free agents

Posted

so they still need about $2 million plus if they want to sign free agents

correct. If you look at the pinned thread it tells you how much each player would save us. For instance Ron Edwards being cut would save another 2.5 million.

All we have to do it be under the cap by march 12th when free agency starts. We can then go over it again but we'll have to be under the cap again by the time we cut down to 53.

EDIT: P55 corrected me and we can not go above the cap again before cutting down to 53.

Posted

You expect James Anderson to get released?

yep.

i expect that they'll work something out with beason and anderson will be a casualty.

Posted

Vasquez would be a great addition but he might be the best FA guard on the market this year. Is he really that affordable?

Guards are relatively cheap. Heres a breakdown of the average cap hits of the top 5 per position(which he's not a top 5 guard). Also LG is generally much more expensive and he's a RG.

http://www.businessi...-the-day-2012-9

If you don't feel like clicking on the link here they are from least to most expensive(top 5 players or top 5 cap hits anyway)

Punter

Kicker

Center

Guard

Tight End

DT

Running Back

Safety

Linebacker

Cornerback

WR

Offensive Tackle

QB

Defensive End

Posted

The short term one year contracts Gettleman spoke of are genius in the fact that you can fill a need for a year until the next draft with out tying your hands for too long.

yep. it eliminates a lot of the pressure of having to draft for needs and just get the best players/playmakers.

i just don't trust rookie linemen to not look bad their first year. were it up to me interior linemen would always be vets. i'm not big on drafting any of them, esp. early. i'm even less enthusiatic about starting them early. OT the only benefit of drafting one early is cost vs. picking up a vet. the rest of the guys i'd just rather we keep putting vets who won't get pushed around and make stupid rookie mistakes.

Posted

Anybody go from 6 to midnight at the click of this page? Have to admit I'm starting to get that "feeling". Free agency might finally come back to Charlotte!

Posted

Guards are relatively cheap. Heres a breakdown of the average cap hits of the top 5 per position(which he's not a top 5 guard). Also LG is generally much more expensive and he's a RG.

http://www.businessi...-the-day-2012-9

If you don't feel like clicking on the link here they are from least to most expensive(top 5 players only)

Punter

Kicker

Center

Guard

Tight End

DT

Running Back

Safety

Linebacker

Cornerback

WR

Offensive Tackle

QB

Defensive End

good stuff.

i would love for us to answer these guys with vets via FA or trade for late round picks(when/if needed):

Punter

Kicker

Center

Guard

Tight End

DT

Running Back

and then these be what we use the draft for (when/if needed):

Safety

Linebacker

Cornerback

WR

Offensive Tackle

QB

Defensive End

1 person likes this

Posted

A Canty type guy would be nice man. Solidify the D through free agency and draft offense.

Resign Dwan, too.

Dwan and Canty - use a later pick on a DT that can rotate in.

Draft OL in the first.

Posted

Resign Dwan, too.

Draft OL in the first.

I want Patterson or Floyd in the first. Warmack if he falls.

Posted

Resign Dwan, too.

Draft OL in the first.

i don't know...i think we can let dwan go. we picked up that run stuffer, colin cole, who could fill the hole we need filled on rushing downs...line him up with canty on rushing downs and bring in alexander and shift hardy inside for passing downs. or other things. we can do without dwan, imo. if we can keep him, though, i wouldn't be upset. he was good in passing situations. if we could rotate dwan in passing sitautions and cole for rushing and have them line up with canty, who can do it all, that would be ideal.

Posted

I want Patterson or Floyd in the first. Warmack if he falls.

i'm getting the feeling that all three of those guys will be gone by #14.