• Please log in to reply
286 replies to this topic

#196 Hawk

Hawk

Huddler of the Decade

• Moderators
  • 14,979 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:59 PM

not to get nostalgic...but in the days of the old huddle I felt like people really got to know each other way more than these days. Maybe it was because of Mush's writeups about everyone, or Monkeybutt's posts on those 20 question things. The huddle used to be much more personable. First time I came to a tailgate I really felt like I was part of the family and "knew" many of the others there.

now, it's all about personal attacks instead.

#197 Panthers_Lover

Panthers_Lover

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,025 posts
  • LocationSpartanburg, SC

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:03 PM

You're right, we should totally be able to arbitrarily and punitively assign murder charges to people who didn't commit murder... That's totally just.

He didn't kill the guy. He shouldn't be charged for murder. We don't do that bullshiat in this country.

If his accomplice killed someone in the commission of a felony, both could be charged with murder. What's the difference?

#198 PhillyB

PhillyB

hug it chug it football

• HUDDLER
  • 18,689 posts
  • LocationGreensboro

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:03 PM

every message board has its golden days followed by change that's lamented. a reflection of real life communities imo

#199 Hawk

Hawk

Huddler of the Decade

• Moderators
  • 14,979 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:05 PM

true dat....neighborhood is only as good as the neighbors!

#200 googoodan

googoodan

Memberest

• HUDDLER
  • 10,359 posts
  • LocationBayside

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:37 PM

I picture everyone wearing stickers from office depot that say hi my username is _________ and making awkward references to pie and rep

We need that.
There have been several times where I've walked by the huddle tailgate, looked around, then kept walking. Name tags would definitely make it a little easier to stop by and shake a few hands at least.

#201 GOOGLE RON PAUL

GOOGLE RON PAUL

fleet-footed poster

• HUDDLER
  • 4,002 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:22 PM

Frankly I think that's an excuse and a poor one and this is why.

He is the only one like that on the board.

I don't really agree with Zula about anything in the tinderbox, but have had several enjoyable, adult conversations with him via PM and in other forums... he told me all about being a film studies student at UNCW when I asked because my oldest is interested in that field. Zula is (by all accounts) half my age and seems to have a good sense of humor. I may not agree with him, but can get along... Cantrell, not so much.

I definitely do think that Cantrell's huddle "persona" is an attempt to take out his angst for a system that is completely disagreed with... I just don't understand why there's so much anger and hate directed at anyone and everyone who dares question anything that's said.

plenty of people use insults here and quite a few posters are particularly shitty to certain posters. i know you think i'm alone here but i'm demonstrably not. what seems to be your problem is my tone, exemplified by the many tone arguments you've made in the past. personally i don't give a fug how someone sounds; i'm more concerned with content. you on the other hand want people to sound "agreeable," regardless of how stupid your (or others') posts might be. you're one of the quickest to resort to name calling around here; i specifically recall you doing it to CWG several times, and typically you tend to throw out the first insult whenever you try to pick an internet fight with me. but again, i don't give a poo if you want to call names. my problem is that when it's done to you, you tend to use it as an excuse to abandon the discussion and pretend as though that is the only substantive part of the post. THEN you do little but hurl insults, as if "anger and hate" is suddenly ok after it's been projected at you. if you seriously want to make a case that the insults are uncalled for, you should probably stop doing it yourself, rather than baiting me into slamming you so that you can run and inform kurb that i've said a bad word.

also whoever said something about generational gaps is probably on to something. i've noticed that old people are relatively thin skinned when they're insulted (valid or not), and seem to think that calling someone a fuging moron at the end of a lengthy post debunking their shitty views actually makes the entire post ad hominem or something (unless they're doing it of course)

oh and btw i don't think your shitty opinions on women or race should be censored or anything, and i don't argue with you to get you to stop doing it (you'll clearly never stop anyway). my only problem with it is how you attempt to literally redefine things like sexism and misogyny because those things are bad and you couldn't be bad therefore what you say couldn't be shitty regressive bullshit

#202 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 14,000 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:32 PM

If his accomplice killed someone in the commission of a felony, both could be charged with murder. What's the difference?

They didnt kill anyone?

#203 GOOGLE RON PAUL

GOOGLE RON PAUL

fleet-footed poster

• HUDDLER
  • 4,002 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:35 PM

every message board has its golden days followed by change that's lamented. a reflection of real life communities imo

ah yes the golden days when that one dude showed up to tailgates to menace women, meanwhile another was busy starving his horses

or was that the same guy?

#204 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 32,563 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:26 PM

Oh look, another wall of text with no quotes. Shocking. Keep burning that keyboard up while saying nothing... :)

#205 GOOGLE RON PAUL

GOOGLE RON PAUL

fleet-footed poster

• HUDDLER
  • 4,002 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:55 PM

yeah i'm totally just making up how you tend to enter threads hurling personal insults

this was your very first post in this thread:

My god Can't-rell has the reading comprehension of a 4 year old.

rather than expanding upon the discussion you decided to make it entirely personal, then act like you're some kind of victim when you got a response. no one had even mentioned your fatass anyway and you certainly contributed absolutely nothing to this thread but yeah you're such a victim nobody EVER insults anyone like mean old mr. shuttlesworth :( :( :(

#206 Hawk

Hawk

Huddler of the Decade

• Moderators
  • 14,979 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:56 PM

you guys are gonna fug aren't ya?

#207 googoodan

googoodan

Memberest

• HUDDLER
  • 10,359 posts
  • LocationBayside

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:16 PM

you guys are gonna fug aren't ya?

Is this what Sheikh was requesting a YouTube link for?

#208 Hawk

Hawk

Huddler of the Decade

• Moderators
  • 14,979 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:17 PM

I'm not here to judge!!!

#209 PhillyB

PhillyB

hug it chug it football

• HUDDLER
  • 18,689 posts
  • LocationGreensboro

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:26 PM

also whoever said something about generational gaps is probably on to something. i've noticed that old people are relatively thin skinned when they're insulted (valid or not), and seem to think that calling someone a fuging moron at the end of a lengthy post debunking their shitty views actually makes the entire post ad hominem or something (unless they're doing it of course)

i actually think it goes deeper than that. in the past ten-fifteen years we've seen a massive technology-based shift in the way humans communicate, one sparked by the biggest communicative revolution since the printing press, and this warp-speed change that in the past has spanned centuries is now being seen within the space of a small part of a single generation. the implications are huge tbh, and in my opinion the traditional "i don't understand these damn kids these days" response to generational gaps is far magnified exponentially.

message boards are an example. methods of communication are shifting fundamentally, with today's newest internet generation being raised on the use of gifs and funny pictures as a form of animation and response that's replacing actual literal dialogue in many instances. with it is a form of snark and biting sarcasm embeded as an elementary form of communication that's unique to this specific generation and very often causes conflict with an older generation that's adapting to the use of the internet technically but has often yet to achieve a holistic understanding of its many subtleties.

to me this is the key to the problem here. GS and Biscuit may fundamentally disagree, but what might otherwise be barely-noticable spats have exploded into massive diatribes that span several pages. not that there isn't an argument at the core, but i contend that it's heavily exxacerbated by the interdynamic explained above.

so why dont yall post some gifs of hugging cats and call it even stevens

#210 GOOGLE RON PAUL

GOOGLE RON PAUL

fleet-footed poster

• HUDDLER
  • 4,002 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:13 AM

i actually think it goes deeper than that. in the past ten-fifteen years we've seen a massive technology-based shift in the way humans communicate, one sparked by the biggest communicative revolution since the printing press, and this warp-speed change that in the past has spanned centuries is now being seen within the space of a small part of a single generation. the implications are huge tbh, and in my opinion the traditional "i don't understand these damn kids these days" response to generational gaps is far magnified exponentially.

message boards are an example. methods of communication are shifting fundamentally, with today's newest internet generation being raised on the use of gifs and funny pictures as a form of animation and response that's replacing actual literal dialogue in many instances. with it is a form of snark and biting sarcasm embeded as an elementary form of communication that's unique to this specific generation and very often causes conflict with an older generation that's adapting to the use of the internet technically but has often yet to achieve a holistic understanding of its many subtleties.

not going to argue with much of this however

so why dont yall post some gifs of hugging cats and call it even stevens

why don't i "call it even stevens"? for the same reason why i wouldn't "call it even stevens" with a person like sylvianlight.

if you constantly reduce women to their parts and then get mad when someone says something about it, i'm not interested in being your "bro." i'm just not interested in dignifying shitty views that perpetuate shitty society by hugging it out and saying "it's alright bro we've all got opinions so i'm just going to go ahead and respect your opinion that sometimes rape isn't rape and sometimes it's ok to call a woman who isn't physically pleasing to you a 'bitch' and a 'crackwhore'"

e: basically i agree that there is a generational difference, however there is substance to this as well. i'm not going to cede ground on something that i am both familiar with and passionate about. if we were arguing over whether or not yesterday's race was good then i'd be willing to let it go p easily because i'm not some nascar loving redneck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.