286 replies to this topic

#226 PhillyB

PhillyB

that jungle football

• ALL-PRO
  • 19,775 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:46 PM

i'd say that's a good starting place for sure. GS is pretty convinced you don't think rape is rape in all cases and that sometimes the rape victim is to blame rather than the rapist who did the raping... is he wrong?

#227 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,968 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:55 PM

i'd say that's a good starting place for sure. GS is pretty convinced you don't think rape is rape in all cases and that sometimes the rape victim is to blame rather than the rapist who did the raping... is he wrong?

Honestly I'm a tad offended that you even need ask that.

He got all this "rape apology" stuff from one comment I made in a thread about a girl who was statutorily raped by her supervisor in a Starbucks. Yeah, I probably could have worded what I said a little differently, but you know Cantrell... picks up on one thing and runs with it...

Long story short (and I linked my previous response to this in the post from this morning) I was not saying the girl wasn't raped. I wasn't saying that she caused the rape or anything even remotely like that... rape is a serious, serious issue and I would never wish it on any woman. That particular thread was about her suing Starbucks because they didn't prevent the situation when in fact Starbucks and her own family intervened (multiple times I might add), she continued that relationship willingly, and then four years later, sued for money damages because of it.

The guy in that case was a sleeze, he slept with an underage girl and was rightly convicted for it. I've never said otherwise. My comments were SOLELY in regards to the lawsuit not the rape.

#228 PhillyB

PhillyB

that jungle football

• ALL-PRO
  • 19,775 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:03 PM

Honestly I'm a tad offended that you even need ask that.

He got all this "rape apology" stuff from one comment I made in a thread about a girl who was statutorily raped by her supervisor in a Starbucks. Yeah, I probably could have worded what I said a little differently, but you know Cantrell... picks up on one thing and runs with it...

Long story short (and I linked my previous response to this in the post from this morning) I was not saying the girl wasn't raped. I wasn't saying that she caused the rape or anything even remotely like that... rape is a serious, serious issue and I would never wish it on any woman. That particular thread was about her suing Starbucks because they didn't prevent the situation when in fact Starbucks and her own family intervened (multiple times I might add), she continued that relationship willingly, and then four years later, sued for money damages because of it.

The guy in that case was a sleeze, he slept with an underage girl and was rightly convicted for it. I've never said otherwise. My comments were SOLELY in regards to the lawsuit not the rape.

i don't mean to offend, i'm asking it for the sake of what we're trying to unearth here. GS somehow has gotten the impression that you're "pro-rape" which is clearly a misnomer of some sort. i'm trying to get to the bottom of it.

continuing in this vein, would you say there's a difference between statuatory rape and "regular" rape (i'm not sure what you'd call it) as it relates to the morality or legality of it, or the punishment involved? or simply the terms?

#229 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 32,968 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:12 PM

i don't mean to offend, i'm asking it for the sake of what we're trying to unearth here. GS somehow has gotten the impression that you're "pro-rape" which is clearly a misnomer of some sort. i'm trying to get to the bottom of it.

continuing in this vein, would you say there's a difference between statuatory rape and "regular" rape (i'm not sure what you'd call it) as it relates to the morality or legality of it, or the punishment involved? or simply the terms?

In regards to the legality of it, no absolutely not. In regards to the morality of it... I certainly see it more grey than Cantrell does. A 16 year old girl having consensual sex with a 19 year old boy in most states is statutory rape. Does a 16 year old (generally) have enough sense to know what she's doing... sure she does, but not always.

Now... say that 19 year old guy is having sex with a 14 year old... well, she might like it and even consent to it, but that doesn't make it OK. In either case, is the law broken? Yes. Should the 19 year old guy be punished? Yes.

Are they necessarily the same case? In the eyes of the law... probably, because the law is absolute, but in the eyes of the law in regards to other issues, such as the aformentioned case of Starbucks not doing enough to stop it... it's grey, there can always be mitigating circumstances.

It is my longstanding view that each and every single case, no matter what the issue, should be looked at upon the merits of itself. Nothing is absolute.

There's also the issue of "forced rape" and "coercive rape" versus statutory rape. Is there a difference between a man throwing a woman down and forcibly raping her against her will, and a slightly older guy smooth talking his way into a teenagers bed? Yes there is a difference.

I'm sure some can and will pick apart my statements above, but I think you get the gist of my opinion.

Edit: Just sitting here thinking about this a bit... in reference to statutory rape... I think the law would be better if it was an age range instead of a flat age. For instance: technically, if there was no force or coercion involved, a 15 year old having consensual sex with an 11 year old is not illegal, but that's one of those situations where it probably should be. Whereas a 17 year old having consensual sex with a 19 year old is illegal... it probably shouldn't be.

#230 PhillyB

PhillyB

that jungle football

• ALL-PRO
  • 19,775 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:29 PM

this is a much more fruitful discussion than OMG UR TEH DUMBZ :)

last question... do you think stuff like the LL forum and the flavor that bleeds over into stuff like avatars could be construed as disrespect for/objectification of women as sex objects?

#231 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,514 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:32 PM

last question... do you think stuff like the LL forum and the flavor that bleeds over into stuff like avatars could be construed as disrespect for/objectification of women as sex objects?

Can I answer too ?

#232 PhillyB

PhillyB

that jungle football

• ALL-PRO
  • 19,775 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:35 PM

Can I answer too ?

:nod:

#233 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 32,968 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:37 PM

Does it bleed in? I suppose. Should it? I don't think it has any bearing whatsoever in my opinions or should it in our discussions. It's the internet... I could go right now and search for dogs having sex with monkeys and have an image in 2 seconds...

I answered this earlier in this thread... I enjoy beautiful women. I don't deny it. Most of the guys on here do. Frankly the "boob inspector" thing is something that Saltman and I started in like 2008 just screwing around. Cantrell thinks I walk around irl ogling womens boobs like some kind of psycho... lol. Nothing could be further from the truth. Do I notice attractive women... uh, yes I do. What heterosexual male doesn't? Plus... I live in Wilmington... there's like 10 hot women for every guy in this town... they're literally everywhere. Am I respectful to women irl? Absolutely... don't believe it, ask boo. She knows me as well as anyone on this site.

FWIW I've tried to have discussions like this with Cantrell. My invitation to "have a beer" was as sincere as I could be. You see what that got me.

#234 The_Light_Brigade

The_Light_Brigade

Theirs but to do and die:

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • LocationCaddyshack

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:37 PM

I gotta tell you this whole therapist session is just perfect. It's like what forums are actually supposed to be. Maybe we just need PhillyB to moderate every single thread.

#235 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,514 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:38 PM

No.

If someone is posing for such a picture then it's not objectifying.

That said,

If you have pic's of some college hottie bending over to pic a pen she dropped in the library, well then you are likely objectifying her.

#236 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,514 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:39 PM

I gotta tell you this whole therapist session is just perfect. It's like what forums are actually supposed to be. Maybe we just need PhillyB to moderate every single thread.

It's strings of threads like this that make me want to ban 1/3 of the entire forum....EVERY SINGLE fuging DAY.

#237 The_Light_Brigade

The_Light_Brigade

Theirs but to do and die:

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • LocationCaddyshack

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:51 PM

It's strings of threads like this that make me want to ban 1/3 of the entire form....EVERY SINGLE fuging DAY.

By strings you mean like pgs 1-14 of this particular one?

#238 Hawk

Hawk

Huddler of the Decade

• Moderators
  • 14,979 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:52 PM

there's like 10 hot women for every guy in this town... they're literally everywhere.

now you tell me....I'll be there ASAP!!!

posting pics of hot women is one thing....but it's not like we are telling people to go out there and rape these women or be ignorant to them or anything negative. We are simply sharing the beauty of the female form.

#239 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,514 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:53 PM

By strings you mean like pgs 1-14 of this particular one?

More the string here near the end where we are actually having a grownup conversation without words like "racist" and "sexist" are thrown around so easily. Where people are being slightly civil.

#240 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 32,968 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:54 PM

More the string here near the end where we are actually having a grownup conversation without words like "racist" and "sexist" are thrown around so easily. Where people are being slightly civil.

So, so much more would get accomplished (discussion wise) if this was the case. Disagreement doesn't have to be disagreeable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com