I'm always holding back.

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts
  • LocationRaleigh,NC

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:29 PM

Sorry, that's a ridiculous law.

How so?

Its called a deterrent to make you think twice before knowingly committing a felonious act.

#17 PhillyB

PhillyB

that jungle football

• ALL-PRO
  • 20,068 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:31 PM

Always is when someone this young dies.

But let's be real. This guy put himself in this situation. He was killed in the process of willfully committing a felony as well as potentially a violent crime (something which he had a history of).

He's not exactly an innocent victim.

of course he's not innocent. i don't blame the homeowner for taking action either, simply because i wasn't in his shoes and don't know what he saw, what was going to happen. i can't judge what he did because i'm not sure how i'd react if someone broke into my home with the infant daughter i'll have in three months. i do know i'd not hesitate to end a life IF it were clearly down to my family's versus the intruder's.

however, a bit of wisdom has tempered my desire to jump on forums and go "karma lol" and "haha wat a doosh, totes deserved it" and other such flippancy. i've realized that it's pure chance that it wasn't me born into a family that didn't give a poo, and that regardless of the agency of a person's will - their power to make their own conscious decisions - they've been set down that path from a young age by forces far beyond their power or reckoning. that dead kid could just as easily be me, but for a lucky draw in the lottery of birth.

#18 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 14,000 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:37 PM

How so?

Its called a deterrent to make you think twice before knowingly committing a felonious act.

I don't care what its intent is... It's unjust.

#19 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 38,940 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:40 PM

however, a bit of wisdom has tempered my desire to jump on forums and go "karma lol" and "haha wat a doosh, totes deserved it" and other such flippancy. i've realized that it's pure chance that it wasn't me born into a family that didn't give a poo, and that regardless of the agency of a person's will - their power to make their own conscious decisions - they've been set down that path from a young age by forces far beyond their power or reckoning. that dead kid could just as easily be me, but for a lucky draw in the lottery of birth.

I agree we shouldn't be flippant over someone's death.

I disagree with the notion that this kid - or anyone else - is automatically doomed to a certain fate just because they're born into a bad situation.

Plenty of people born into bad situations manage to make better lives (look to the NFL for a load of such stories). And likewise, loads of people born with every opportunity and privilege manage to throw their lives into the toilet.

#20 SuperMan

SuperMan

I'm always holding back.

• HUDDLER
  • 2,265 posts
  • LocationRaleigh,NC

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:40 PM

I don't care what its intent is... It's unjust.

Sure it is... *Sarcasm*

By state laws and the definition of Justice it is.

#21 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 14,000 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:44 PM

Sure it is... *Sarcasm*

By state laws and the definition of Justice it is.

You're right, we should totally be able to arbitrarily and punitively assign murder charges to people who didn't commit murder... That's totally just.

He didn't kill the guy. He shouldn't be charged for murder. We don't do that bullshiat in this country.

#22 PhillyB

PhillyB

that jungle football

• ALL-PRO
  • 20,068 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:44 PM

I disagree with the notion that this kid - or anyone else - is automatically doomed to a certain fate just because they're born into a bad situation.

Plenty of people born into bad situations manage to make better lives (look to the NFL for a load of such stories). And likewise, loads of people born with every opportunity and privilege manage to throw their lives into the toilet.

not automatically, but very, very, very heavily likely.

#23 SuperMan

SuperMan

I'm always holding back.

• HUDDLER
  • 2,265 posts
  • LocationRaleigh,NC

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:50 PM

You're right, we should totally be able to arbitrarily and punitively assign murder charges to people who didn't commit murder... That's totally just.

He didn't kill the guy. He shouldn't be charged for murder. We don't do that bullshiat in this country.

Guilt by association.

I double checked just to be sure and yes we do that in this country.

#24 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,552 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:13 PM

People have been put to death for that in Texas.

Not to worry though- they were neither rich nor white.

#25 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 14,000 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:17 PM

People have been put to death for that in Texas.

Not to worry though- they were neither rich nor white.

Thank goodness!

#26 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 14,000 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:18 PM

Guilt by association.

I double checked just to be sure and yes we do that in this country.

I know the excuses... Still unjust.

#27 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,422 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:53 PM

You can be born into bad situations and still know it's wrong to hit innocent victims in the face with a brick and destroy their jaw.

#28 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,552 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:30 PM

Or you could see that given the right circumstances this kid could easily be breaking innocent brown people's jaws for America.

#29 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 23,827 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:32 PM

Not sure plenty is an accurate description. They are an exception to the rule.

Why didn't you or I play in the NFL? Certainly we would be better for it....did we not want it badly enough?

#30 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 16,726 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:42 PM

I know the excuses... Still unjust.

I don't know if I agree that the law itself is unjust. I don't think it serves justice in this case, but there are certainly cases where it might. For example, I know of a case in which a man coerced his younger and stupider girlfriend to go pick up some coke he wanted to buy. His thinking was that she would take the risk. Had she been killed buying the coke, I think a murder charge for him would have been the right thing to do.

In this case though, I doubt the one that ran away coerced the other one into anything.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com