286 replies to this topic

#46 SmootsDaddy89

SmootsDaddy89

Just Say No To Boo

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,964 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:15 AM

In my experience, the character of the parents is a far better predictor of the kids' future than their economic status or their setting, but even that's far from foolproof.

This is true, but you aren't bothering to ask yourself WHY, for example, the parents don't care about their kid's education or future. How many parents went through the same type of scenarios I just wallposted about and gave up on their future and their kids? Not saying it's right, but to some extent they're justified in believing the system wont ever take its boot off of their neck. To them, helping their kids is just getting their hopes up only to have them dashed like theirs were when they were kids. Whenever I talk to these parents about lack of involvement in their child's education, it's something along this same, general premise. And it's disheartening, but not unexpected.

#47 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 36,817 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:22 AM

Can tell you this much. My workplace is probably better than 50% black (might go as high as 75%, don't know) and mostly urban. And that's as true in management as it is in the work force.

There are hard workers, there are ass kissers, there are slackers, overachievers, complainers, optimists, backstabbers and people with whom I'd entrust my life.

And I couldn't name a single one of those characteristics with a correlative tie to race or background.

#48 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 36,817 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:30 AM

This is true, but you aren't bothering to ask yourself WHY, for example, the parents don't care about their kid's education or future. How many parents went through the same type of scenarios I just wallposted about and gave up on their future and their kids? Not saying it's right, but to some extent they're justified in believing the system wont ever take its boot off of their neck. To them, helping their kids is just getting their hopes up only to have them dashed like theirs were when they were kids. Whenever I talk to these parents about lack of involvement in their child's education, it's something along this same, general premise. And it's disheartening, but not unexpected.

I don't really care why.

Urban, redneck, big city, small town or whatever; if you're just gonna declare yourself a victim and teach your kids that all the cards are stacked against them and they have no chance no matter what they do, it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. Yes, your kids will fail, and it'll be largely your fault.

Tell them instead that whatever obstacles they face can be conquered, they still could fail for any number of reasons but at least you taught them to work rather than whine.

#49 GOOGLE RON PAUL

GOOGLE RON PAUL

fleet-footed poster

• HUDDLER
  • 4,002 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:45 AM

black kid getting shot to death over property makes g5 harder than a diamond in an ice storm

oh and yeah i'm sure if this kid had been born to a rich white family his life would have followed the same trajectory because blah blah hard work blah blah bootstraps blah blah "urban youth" blah blah personal responsibility

#50 GOOGLE RON PAUL

GOOGLE RON PAUL

fleet-footed poster

• HUDDLER
  • 4,002 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:05 AM

I don't really care why.

Urban, redneck, big city, small town or whatever; if you're just gonna declare yourself a victim and teach your kids that all the cards are stacked against them and they have no chance no matter what they do, it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. Yes, your kids will fail, and it'll be largely your fault.

Tell them instead that whatever obstacles they face can be conquered, they still could fail for any number of reasons but at least you taught them to work rather than whine.

this is a really dumb post. here's part of the reason why:

-- Black youth with no prior admissions were six times more likely (and Latino youth were three times more likely) to be incarcerated in public facilities than white youth with no prior admissions when charged with the same offense.

http://www.isreview....f_justice.shtml

you see black youth were six times more likely to be incarcerated than white youth when charged with the same crime because their parents taught them to be victims

Even in neighborhoods that are predominantly white, black and Latino New Yorkers face the disproportionate brunt. For example, in 2011, Black and Latino New Yorkers made up 24 percent of the population in Park Slope, but 79 percent of stops. This, on its face, is discriminatory.

http://www.nyclu.org/node/1598

Blacks and Latinos were nine times as likely as whites to be stopped by the police in New York City in 2009, but, once stopped, were no more likely to be arrested.

http://www.nytimes.c...on/13frisk.html

ugh those damn parents teaching their kids to be victims basically forces the police to brazenly profile them

Two-thirds of those arrested for drug violations in 2006 were white and 33 percent were black, although blacks made up 12.8 percent of the population, F.B.I. data show.

Her report cites federal data from 2003, the most recent available on this aspect, indicating that blacks constituted 53.5 percent of all who entered prison for a drug conviction.

http://www.nytimes.c...Ai53x7QaNx/pGoA

black people make up ~1/3 of drug arrests, yet only ~18% of the population, but those damned parents taught them to be victims so juries just have to convict them twice as much as white people who have been charged with the exact same crimes

ugh THOSE PARENTS don't they know that they can just tell their kids to be professional athletes and make millions for themselves and billions for their slaveow- er, "owners"

The results of these studies were startling. Among those with no criminal record, white applicants were more than twice as likely to receive a callback relative to equally qualified black applicants. Even more troubling, whites with a felony conviction fared just as well, if not better, than a black applicant with a clean background.

http://ac360.blogs.c...ances-for-hire/

you see they've been taught to be victims their whole lives and that's why they are repeatedly victimized. if they would just stop expecting to be victimized, surely employers will start hiring degree-holding black people over white felons

what you're doing is called "victim blaming", with a heaping bunch of "pulling poo out of your ass." stop posting about things you don't understand.

#51 SmootsDaddy89

SmootsDaddy89

Just Say No To Boo

• HUDDLER
  • 9,964 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:09 AM

I don't really care why.

This is shocking.

Or support organizations that are designed to perform the functions those parents would and should be performing instead of "welp it's the parents fault, no reason for me to care or feel bad about my extreme white privilege now."

These are dumb cliches and this is essentially like saying "you can be the President if you just believe and put your mind to it!" It isn't true, and it accomplishes nothing towards solving real, actual problems. All those sayings do is help absolve white people of the guilt they feel over the advantages they have over practically every other race.

#52 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,429 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:41 AM

One of the keys is when white kids act up, we tend to see it as a "stage" whereas for black kids it's just the start for a long life of crime (and is treated accordingly).

As a young man, Robert Noyce stole a pig, was caught, and eventually let off with a slap on the wrist. Had he been black, he'd have been tossed in jail and we'd have a much crappier computers.

#53 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,138 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:50 AM

Poor criminals.

The entire premise where someone not knowing something is right or wrong is absolutely mindblowing. Think this kid ever had anything stolen from him? Did he feel he was wronged? Do you think this kid ever had his face punched in? Do you think that he felt that wasn't a very nice thing to do?

If we have raised a generation of completely illogical children to not understand basic right/wrong, then our education system is a complete failure and should be gutted and started over. Want Head Start funding? Fund it completely with deadbeat dad payments to children they've had out of wedlock and aren't paying a dime.

Hand-wringing over this single kid's downfall and attempting to attribute his upbringing to a bubble-boy existence is an insult to 1st world people's intelligence.

#54 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,429 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:59 AM

Now, now. People who still unironically use the term "1st world" are an insult to our intelligence too.

#55 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,138 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:01 AM

Now, now. People who still unironically use the term "1st world" are an insult to our intelligence too.

I use meme-speak for Panthro. But way to focus on that.

#56 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 18,025 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:12 AM

this is a really dumb post. here's part of the reason why:

http://www.isreview....f_justice.shtml

you see black youth were six times more likely to be incarcerated than white youth when charged with the same crime because their parents taught them to be victims

http://www.nyclu.org/node/1598

http://www.nytimes.c...on/13frisk.html

ugh those damn parents teaching their kids to be victims basically forces the police to brazenly profile them

http://www.nytimes.c...Ai53x7QaNx/pGoA

black people make up ~1/3 of drug arrests, yet only ~18% of the population, but those damned parents taught them to be victims so juries just have to convict them twice as much as white people who have been charged with the exact same crimes

ugh THOSE PARENTS don't they know that they can just tell their kids to be professional athletes and make millions for themselves and billions for their slaveow- er, "owners"

http://ac360.blogs.c...ances-for-hire/

you see they've been taught to be victims their whole lives and that's why they are repeatedly victimized. if they would just stop expecting to be victimized, surely employers will start hiring degree-holding black people over white felons

what you're doing is called "victim blaming", with a heaping bunch of "pulling poo out of your ass." stop posting about things you don't understand.

Yea, your approach is much better.

Don't try and teach your kids to work hard and overcome obstacles. Much easier to blame society, the gov't, and anyone other than themselves for their situation.

I swear to god that you don't even know the words "personal accountability".......because you have NONE.

You ARE the problem.

#57 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 32,577 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:23 AM

My god Can't-rell has the reading comprehension of a 4 year old.

#58 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 14,000 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:38 AM

I don't know if I agree that the law itself is unjust. I don't think it serves justice in this case, but there are certainly cases where it might. For example, I know of a case in which a man coerced his younger and stupider girlfriend to go pick up some coke he wanted to buy. His thinking was that she would take the risk. Had she been killed buying the coke, I think a murder charge for him would have been the right thing to do.

In this case though, I doubt the one that ran away coerced the other one into anything.

i don't disagree that in some circumstances it would be appropriate to charge an accomplice with murder... that said, i reject blanket sentencing which takes away a court's ability to do what it's supposed to do: judge. The problem isn't the action, it's that it's policy... this is simply the legislative branch overstepping its bounds... this is done because it garners votes from the stupid.

Either it's unjust or it's not... it not serving justice "in this case" only exemplifies why blanket laws such as this are foolish.

#59 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 36,817 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:38 AM

This is shocking.

Or support organizations that are designed to perform the functions those parents would and should be performing instead of "welp it's the parents fault, no reason for me to care or feel bad about my extreme white privilege now."

These are dumb cliches and this is essentially like saying "you can be the President if you just believe and put your mind to it!" It isn't true, and it accomplishes nothing towards solving real, actual problems. All those sayings do is help absolve white people of the guilt they feel over the advantages they have over practically every other race.

Sorry. No guilt here because I'm not responsible for anyone's life but my own. If there ws someone I was supposed to oppress somewhere along the way, nobody ever sent me the assignment.

Tell me this: What exactly does teaching them that they're victims who have no shot accomplish?

(and the answer is not "realism" so don't bother with that)

If you want to go with telling a kid that he's a victim who'll never amount to anything from early on, how exactly do you expect his life to turn out?

#60 Gazi

Gazi

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 7,798 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:39 AM

Applauding the death of a child? WTF humanity

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.