Photo
- - - - -

Should the Huddle have a forum to discuss racial issues?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

Poll: Should the Huddle have a forum to discuss racial issues? (14 member(s) have cast votes)

Should the Huddle have a FORUM for racial issues?

1. Yes (4 votes [28.57%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 28.57%

2. No (3 votes [21.43%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 21.43%

3. Hell no (5 votes [35.71%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 35.71%

4. Pie (1 votes [7.14%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.14%

5. Boobs (1 votes [7.14%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.14%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,618 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:42 PM

I don't think it needs a subforum. That's kinda what The Tinderbox is for already.

My one complaint: Per the official rules, the tactic of just calling people racist (as opposed to actually debating them on ideas) is supposedly not allowed, but some of the more common practitioners of this tactic lately have been mods.

Frankly, it's a lame, lazy tactic and your argument looks weak when you do it.

Now I'm sure some will claim "but they actually are racist based on Post #XXXXX".

If you can actually prove that, then why aren't they banned?

If you can't, then you're just engaging in what's supposed to be disallowed; and honestly, why should anyone believe you're going to enforce a rule that you yourself regularly break?

Is it because you can't argue effectively without that particular crutch to fall back on?

#17 Panthro

Panthro

Bunned

• Moderators
  • 22,229 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:45 PM

the thought was rather than dirty up many many threads and forums with racial bullshit, build a sandbox for it and let them fling their crap back and forth all day long!

and like Biscuit said...not offended either...just sick of it. and in my opinion, my mod powers have dwindled to the point where I don't think I can do much about it and even amoungst the group of mods/admins, we don't always agree on what stays and what goes.

thanks for asking the question Biscuit, I think it was worth seeing what the thoughts were

I think you worry too much about it. We can still lock and delete threads that get out of hand.

I hate modding people and only do so when there is no other option.

#18 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• HUDDLER
  • 15,494 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:52 PM

see...now as a mod, I should probably be warning you or giving you a vacation for that comment but it's all so inconsistent.

Dude I am 1/16th American Indian so I know the plight of minority.

#19 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 9,348 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:55 PM

I think we should let Cantrell be the mod for the racial box. Can we do guest mods? This would also be a cure for you staunch righties who control thought here. Or at least a step in the right direction.

#20 SZ James

SZ James

• HUDDLER
  • 7,074 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:01 PM

No.

Stop complaining.

Racists.

#21 Hawk

Hawk

Huddler of the Decade

• Moderators
  • 14,837 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:09 PM

I think you worry too much about it. We can still lock and delete threads that get out of hand.

I hate modding people and only do so when there is no other option.

I don't worry about it...I just want to take some accountability to making the huddle a better place.

#22 gospodin shuttlesworth

gospodin shuttlesworth

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,607 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:52 PM

seems like several posters here already have a separate "forum to discuss racial issues"

it's called stormfront and it's been bleeding over into the tinderbox quite a bit here lately

#23 thatlookseasy

thatlookseasy

Death to pennies

• HUDDLER
  • 2,735 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:55 PM

Race is brought up in a lot of threads because it is simply a part of a lot of different topics. Is it brought up too much? Yeah, but so are a lot things. If having the same arguments over again was against the rules the tinderbox wouldnt exist

The idea that a race forum would keep race out of other topics is like thinking that a Cam forum would keep him out of other threads on the panthers page. It would prevent only the most obvious ones (the thread about his girlfriend for example), but he is going to be involved in other panthers stories

#24 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 18,216 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:06 PM

If you post in the sub race forum you must wear a tux.

#25 carpantherfan84

carpantherfan84

Abductive Reasoner

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:09 PM

In answer to the OP, ABSOLUTELY. any and all discussion about race should be encouraged. Only through discussion and connection can we move forward. Few would agree that the country has reached the end all be all on race relations. In actuality the US is probably the WORSE country in the world when it comes to race relations and that should bother people, because a united people with a purpose is a formidable enemy. And it is absolutely true that "A house divided against itself cannot stand".

And to all the people who seem irritated about these conversations but claim to be racially blind or have all of these friends of different races I ask that you consider this. Try not to dehumanize black people in America. It is common for people (black and white) to exercise contempt for blacks in America which is often only slightly veiled behind compassionless remarks in reference to truly sensitive racial issues. Before you dismiss a person or an issue you have to connect with the people involved. Not in a sympathetic way, but by demonstrating pure empathy. Whether you like it or not America is a product of its history. That history is torrid and gruesome at times along with the beauty. History is paramount in evaluating or studying a society, because current events do not happen in a vacuum. I am sure most of people on this forum are at least high school grads with a likely large amount of college educated people so you should know the value of teaching ones history (accurately) when it comes to educating them.

If you really have no problem with the black man then try to identify with him. Place yourself in his shoes but do so in context. Try and imagine what it must be like to live in a nation that for so long has sought to destroy you. Realize what it means to search for your culture amidst this sea of misinformation and outright lies. What must it be like to look at grandfathers who fought in WWI or WWII only to come home to be lynched by the people they risked there lives for. To see the people who raped and beat your female ancestors, exalted as heroes with monuments built in their name. Try and live in a country you love enough to give your life for yet you know that at any time you may be reminded of the fact that a large portion of its citizens view you as an anomaly, a monkey in cage there to be studied, poked and prodded. sometimes allowed at the table but never completely welcome.

Now imagine that you go somewhere, a forum perhaps. A place where you want to connect with people who share your greatest passion of Carolina Football. Only to find that the people that are the most like you cant be bothered to share the part of your life that is the most significant. And you realize just how separate they hold you.

I have been to Europe, I have lived 3 years in Korea, visited Mexico and spent 18 months throughout the middle east and if I have learned anything, it is that people hate all over the world. But this is the only place that does so over something so superfical as skin color. There is a reason for that. You cant even classify it as racial since most Americans trace there history back more than a hundred years and the horrors of slavery brought massive amounts of rape.

#26 gospodin shuttlesworth

gospodin shuttlesworth

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,607 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:30 PM

It is common for people (black and white) to exercise contempt for blacks in America which is often only slightly veiled behind compassionless remarks in reference to truly sensitive racial issues.

exhibit a: http://www.carolinah...eakingentering/

#27 Hawk

Hawk

Huddler of the Decade

• Moderators
  • 14,837 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:33 PM

truth be known, you are all black to me....except lady panther, she's baby blue!

#28 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,143 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:08 PM

it would be nice to have a separate forum for people whining about people discussing racial issues.

#29 PhillyB

PhillyB

hug it chug it football

• HUDDLER
  • 17,668 posts
  • LocationGreensboro

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:03 AM

racial issues are often inseparably associated with many other issues that arise in american societal and political spheres. a separate forum would deny the ability to make those connections and effectively says "race has no bearing on inflammatory issues and should therefore be excluded from the discussion." a quarrantine of the issues inaccurately reflects their bearing on current issues.

not a good idea.

#30 Hawk

Hawk

Huddler of the Decade

• Moderators
  • 14,837 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:04 AM

carpanther...I sort of agree with some of your points...but there's a couple problems...first, the maturity level around here is at an all time high and the sensitivity level is at an all time high...so put that together and pretty much any attempt at a civil conversation is gone. I also have a hard time buying into the 100 year thing....there ain't nobody around here that can say they were directly impacted by events over a hundred years ago and for the most part, people just can't let go...there's a whole woo is me mentality in the world

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.