Photo
- - - - -

Gettleman says he'll use FA to put Panthers in position to take best player available in draft

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#16 SIGCHI222

SIGCHI222

the illustrious potentate

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,472 posts
  • LocationShelby

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:46 PM

Sounds better than drafting for needs and signing the best FA available.

#17 Guest_BlueBoy_*

Guest_BlueBoy_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:02 AM

This would have sounded so much better if we were 40m under the cap.

#18 Guest_BlueBoy_*

Guest_BlueBoy_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:11 AM

but doesn't he know dat dis ain't Madden brah?

That you don't just sign good players and expect your team to be better, you have to draft players and develop them for a few years or five and then make a run

I mean seriously fire this guy and get a real GM in here I mean this is real life

Sounds like a guy who just happened to be a member of a team that won 2 fluky superbowls(people win the lotto twice) now he is bringing that expertise to the panthers.

#19 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• ALL-PRO
  • 40,307 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:33 AM

Sounds better than drafting for needs and signing the best FA available.

Been that route before, haven't we?

Gettleman's philosophy is to draft to fit the system, not need. He essentially wants over time to get us in a position where the draft isn't about need, it's about depth.

#20 nagai

nagai

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:35 AM

I'm really interested in what he said about FA. To me, it's critical to improve the offensive line. Gettleman can't justify drafting BPA until we get some help there. My guess is that they'll cut Gamble and Ron Edwards before March 1st (along with other guys like Armanti). Geoff Shwartz should then be targeted, just because I think we'll get better value with him. I'll be happy with a BPA heavy draft strategy then (even more BPA than Hurney). Guys like Beason and DWill may go after June 1st to help with the cap long-term.

#21 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• ALL-PRO
  • 40,307 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:40 AM

I'm really interested in what he said about FA. To me, it's critical to improve the offensive line. Gettleman can't justify drafting BPA until we get some help there. My guess is that they'll cut Gamble and Ron Edwards before March 1st (along with other guys like Armanti). Geoff Shwartz should then be targeted, just because I think we'll get better value with him. I'll be happy with a BPA heavy draft strategy then (even more BPA than Hurney). Guys like Beason and DWill may gone after June 1st to help with the cap long-term.

I'd refer back to the quotes about winning with "big guys".

#22 Kevin Greene

Kevin Greene

You Paid A Dollar For This?

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,523 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:34 AM

Fug this Gettleman character.
We need more Running Backs.

#23 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• ALL-PRO
  • 40,307 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:43 AM

Fug this Gettleman character.
We need more Running Backs.

Marty? :blink:

#24 Ivan The Awesome

Ivan The Awesome

That wasn't a Penalty.

• ALL-PRO
  • 9,864 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:11 AM

Sounds like a guy who just happened to be a member of a team that won 2 fluky superbowls(people win the lotto twice) now he is bringing that expertise to the panthers.

I believe you missed the sarcasm in his post.

#25 iamhubby1

iamhubby1

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,557 posts
  • LocationSpartanburg, SC

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:59 AM

Always remember, and never forget. Sarcasm, logic, reason, fact, or plain ol' common sense is lost on a troll. Their inate ability to contradict any statement is a skill honed by years of experience. Don't kid yourself, they are better at this than you are. They are the goonies personified. Feed them at your own peril. They antagonize for the hits. Your participation only aids that goal.

Want to hurt a troll? Have him open the huddle and see zero notifications. That will make his day.

#26 DeeJay

DeeJay

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts
  • LocationHell Paso Texas

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:30 AM

Canty?

#27 Gabeking

Gabeking

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,372 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:58 AM

Always remember, and never forget. Sarcasm, logic, reason, fact, or plain ol' common sense is lost on a troll. Their inate ability to contradict any statement is a skill honed by years of experience. Don't kid yourself, they are better at this than you are. They are the goonies personified. Feed them at your own peril. They antagonize for the hits. Your participation only aids that goal.

Want to hurt a troll? Have him open the huddle and see zero notifications. That will make his day.

Or ruin his life :P

#28 Gabeking

Gabeking

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,372 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:59 AM

Been that route before, haven't we?

Gettleman's philosophy is to draft to fit the system, not need. He essentially wants over time to get us in a position where the draft isn't about need, it's about depth.

So sorta like how the 49ers are now

#29 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• ALL-PRO
  • 40,307 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:16 AM

So sorta like how the 49ers are now

Better teams in general, really.

You do also need to draft well to get to that point.

#30 44johnson

44johnson

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:39 AM

Alright, then it is settled, BPA. Now all that has to be done is set your draft board and wait your turn. Sounds so EASY. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com